The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp for AKG 414B-XLS
Old 14th September 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Can I go from my AKG 414's into the AKG N62E phantom power box into my AEA TRP...
No.

If you look at the photo you can see that there is a direct connection between the input and output XLR connectors via a shielded cable. There are no other components is series with the shielded cable. That means there is no blocking of the DC phantom power supply voltages at the output xlr... whatever there is on the input xlr shows up on the output xlr.

Do NOT use this with the TRP unless you get it modified, as below....

Take this to a tech and have them insert 10 mfd/63v low leakage caps in series with pin 2 and pin 3 of the output xlr. Have them install 100k bleeder resistors to pin #1 at the output xlr. If you do not understand what I just said, then do not to the work yourself, find someone how does understand.

Also, I am speaking only for myself on this matter, not AEA.

cheers
Gear Maniac

Thanks Fred!!
Lives for gear

So, the DPA would work as stock?
Gear Head

Guys the concept really is quite simple...

You can use an external phantom power supply with the TRP IF and only IF the external supply provides a means of blocking the DC phantom power voltage (which is applied to the input XLR) at the output XLR. Period.

I can't tell you ANYTHING about other manufactures phantom power supplies. Ask them the question "With your product, is the DC phantom power voltage blocked at the output XLR?" If it is, then you are good to go. If they don't know, or they say no it is not blocked, then don't use it with the TRP.

A side note, I'd never, ever, use 9v phantom power on any modern mic that requires phantom power. But that's me.

As always, your mileage may vary.
📝 Reply