The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
First hardware: Cranesong Trakker vs 1176 & Foote P3S ME
Old 17th June 2013
Here for the gear

First hardware: Cranesong Trakker vs 1176 & Foote P3S ME

Hi slutz,
iam david from germany. (please excuse my rough english)
its my first thread here.

Iam a itb-engineer since the first day and never thought about hardware stuff. Now, after a long time of hard work my results are very close to my reference tracks and i want to improve some subtile details in mix&master..

Now iam searching for
1 work horse compressor for mixing (snare, kick, vocals, bass, mono room etc.) and
1 gentle compressor for mastering

Option a)
- UA 1176LE for mixing
( in 90% of cases, cla76/uad 76 is my first plugin choise.. i heard the difference between hard and software)

- Foote Control p3s me for mastering
(never heard it - but it has to be a very flexible tool.. iam searching for a glue & a little pressure)

Option b)
- a pair of cranesong trakker (never heard it.. but often read about it..)

Option c)
?

You can't make this decision for me..
but you surely have some opinions and expirience about this gear

fyi:
iam using audient pres/adat, a mr816 ad/da, dynaudio bm15p & trend amp. it surely works hand in hand with better outboard.

thank you guys,
you'r awesome!

sincerely, david
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

Dave Hill Designs Titan would be on my short list for a workhorse hardware compressor.
Old 17th June 2013
Here for the gear

Hey strange leaf
Thanks. Great idea!! Never heard it (the same old song again..) but it looks very flexible. Dave Hill works on crane song trakker, too?

EDIT:
your recommendation is a kind of thumbsup for 2x cranesong trakker?
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Maniac

a pair of trakkers would be a pretty flexible setup. If the titans are anything like the trakkers then they would be a great choice.

Trakkers have the advantage of being near the top of the hi-fi food chain, enough flexibility to be very aggressive or smooth, and a bunch of behavior and (subtle) color choices.

The disadvantage is that they aren't specific color/attitude units.

Trakkers do suit your requirements for tracking and 2bus work.
Old 1st July 2014
I do own both Trakker and Foote P3S (Standard).

I use both belonging to the situation - mostly mastering - the Foote is more on the punchy to dirty side and glue - very flexible and versatile with the different modes - the Trakker more highend clean and shiny, also very versatile due to its modes but not as different as the foote´s modes.

Both awesome Comps though.
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Trakkers sound as if there was very gentle LP filter on extreme highs. Only the air optical is actually a bit brighter than bypassed sound. I don't mind this most of the time, yet sometimes, esp. in mastering situation it can be undesirable. Other times it's wellcome for taming too bright mixes and sometimes it's just elegant.

Most of the "dirtier" modes make things fuller in the lower midrange. Vintage mode is global, vca mode darkens on gain reduction. So when I get some mid scooped mix with bright snare, trakker can help to fill the holes and tame that snare. That can sound better than just bumping the lowmids with EQ.

When mixing, I don't notice any problem with loosing the extreme heights as in the mastering. And it's just great allarounder that can compress a lot without any nasty tone change. Very classy and smooth. Tonal options are subtle, yet sometimes powerfull in taming agressive sounds.

Somehow I don't reach for trakkers when I need to make things agressive and popping out of the speakers. That's where ADR Compex works great and perhaps it's also the 1176/Distressor territory (I haven't chance to try neither of them).

For 2buss I'd prefer some sort of varimu. Or it's at least where I end most of the time.
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

a pair of trakker´s can be pretty cool on the stereo buss, very flexible. though: trakker´s pot´s are not stepped, they feel pretty loose! that makes them pretty much impossible to recall…
on individual tracks i prefer other boxes. for tracking, as their name would suggest, trakker took way too long to set up for me, get something simple like a 1176 or distressor and work fast.

go for character pieces, transparent you have covered in the box!
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

You're right, knobs on trakkers are rather fiddly on accurate treshold settings (when matching for stereo for example). The knob has big range and what visualy looks the same can give you -1 or -2dB of gain reduction. Other knobs like attack/release/shape can be set more loosely as I can't hear that much of a change when turning them very slightly. So my solution for recall is a photo and average gain reduction (that's often 1 or 0.5dB).
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I would think that if you had one hardware compressor for mixing that you would use it on vocals (or track vocals with it and use it on bass or somewhere else in the mix) so if it's primarily rock and roll I would go straight for the 1176 - it's a classic for a reason and, except for the very sharp knee that might be too aggressive on some vocals, is extremely flexible.

For a stereo comp, by far the most useful one that I've used is the RND Portico 5043 (which is actually dual mono so can be used across the stereo buss or on two different sources). I really, really love that compressor - it's extremely easy to use, very hard to make things sound bad with, is pretty transparent but adds a touch of class to the sound and can be used on absolutely any source for whatever type of compression that that source may need (with the exception of extreme compression pumping and distortion like the Chandler TG1).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search