The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL, API or Neve console? Consoles
Old 12th November 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Dude.. the ams RMX 16 is THE 80's ... but then agian so is an 'E' series.. so go figure.. i love the ams verb cos its really natural and nothing else sounds like it. IT's a very 'New Romantic' verb.heh heh heh heh

And how is your new SSL going Bernd G?.. will the THAT VCA's go into the automation signal path for more headroom and quieter noise floor and specs etc?

Has it increased you studio profile and or business?

I have found a cool weirdo SSL... a 5000 series that was used to do film. Im thinking long and hard about that one cos its VERY affordable and for purely mixing PT outputs im thinking it couls be a solution and then i really can hose the rest of the $$ on choice cuts of the finest outboard known to man.

Cheers
Wiggy

Hey Wiggy, no offense - I love the days of the AMS - Trevor Horn and all.... . SSL is being delivered in two weeks - we are working on the room for it as we speak. We had the opportunity to go for a 5000, BTW. An absolute monster, perhaps the same one you are looking at - 80 inputs.
I would think twice if I were you. Film music desk - VERY different from console designed for mixing music..., not an INLINE console. Also, usually they only have a few compressor modules and a few EQs - not comps on all channels and they lack the BUSS compressors and you DO want that one, don't you?!! Also think of the electrical bill - if it is only for PROTOOLS, perhaps a smaller console will do the job. I know, I know - I thought that thing would be pretty impressive too.... . heh
Keep in mind that people don't seem to have great things to say about the 5000 series.

Good luck

Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

The only reason that im interested in it is becuase its almost ciminally cheap.. and it would only be for me and my own personal place and a few mates etc.. not a going commercial concern per se`

As for the loadout.. it has the 4 band eq's 4 auxes per channel and the compressor module. but i dont think it does have the buss compressor.. but its nothing an Al Smart C2 wont fix...

This one is not so much of a beast only a mere 48 channels and it also has 24 track routing so im told.. im finding ouit a bit more about as we speak so if i get some pics ill start a new thread cos i dont wana polute Daniel's any more.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 12th November 2003
Gear Addict

See if it has IR (Instant Reset) - I always thought that would be a cool feature.
Good luck.

Cheers

Old 12th November 2003
Lives for gear

Ok.. just got a mail..

52 Channel in-line console

24 multitrack busses

10 aux

48 mono channels (EQ similar to the 242 black 4000 EQ)

4 stereo channels

6 chan incorporated sub-mixer

8 VCA groups

8 st audio groups

'instant-reset' computer - 86 inputs mix-down

... nice.. just waiting for pics
Wiggy
Old 12th November 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Ok.. just got a mail..

52 Channel in-line console

24 multitrack busses

10 aux

48 mono channels (EQ similar to the 242 black 4000 EQ)

4 stereo channels

6 chan incorporated sub-mixer

8 VCA groups

8 st audio groups

'instant-reset' computer - 86 inputs mix-down

... nice.. just waiting for pics
Wiggy
Hey Wigs,

Piece of advice...

Skip the 5000 its no 4000 or even a 6000.

There is a reason they sell for so cheap.

If you want an SSL look around for a 4000 series. Sure its more money, but in the end it will be worth it.

The 5000 series is to be avoided like the plague.

P.S. I agree with you about the RMX16. I would not trade it(or my Quantec) for anything that's new out there. It has more character than all of the new "me too" bland reverb units.

Old 12th November 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Songhead
Give us a call, we have the best service dept in the industry (All SSL factory trained), and we can make sure you get the best console for your money.
I just might call you but for the moment I'm researching consoles so that I can be clear on what I'm looking for. So with that in mind can you offer some suggestions and configurations of SSL as to what would be most appropriate for rock/pop mixing from ProTools.

I was thinking:
4048 "E" series modules with G+ computer.

I'm not sure on the Plasma VU's based on some horror stories I've heard in the cost of servicing and maintenance. I'd also like to hear more verdicts about the automation options.

I seriously would have thought an API Legacy Plus would have been a better board sonicly.
Old 12th November 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by denial

I was thinking:
4048 "E" series modules with G+ computer.

Just an opinion, I know this might sound crazy, but 48 channels is just not enough for mixing todays modern productions.

You have to step up to 64-72 channels minimum. 96 channels is prefered.

On most PT mixes, i am hitting 32-48 returns to an SSL console. When you start doing complicated mults,parallels and lots of effect returns, you'll will quickly run out of returns.

A standard 4000E series has to be modified to handle every return hitting it it at once(they tend to "close up" especially in the bass and on the highs). This is why a lot of guys use Pultecs on the SSL mix buss, to open up the bottomn a touch and a add a little sheen.

By the way this also happens on the "J"(just on the bass actually).

I heard on the "K" SSL has remedied this issue.

Again this is just an opinion.
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Robotnik's got it in a nutshell.

In the Long run the SSL is a totally more flexible and commerically viable business option. Robotnik also got it right again insaying that even some of the dare i say it 'vintage' E series are becoming sought after for their particular sonic traits. Who would have thought it in the 80's and early 90's?

The only thing caveat here is that if you are trying to open the room as a comercial entity there is a fair bit of gear that is almost taken as a given that goes along with an SSL:

These inlcude:

LEX 480L
TC 2290
LEX PCM 42
AMS RMX 16
AMS DMX 1580
Eventide HSE 3000/4000?

I dont know perhaps others can add to that list?

Cheers
Wiggy
Just wanted to point out that the guy said it was not for any commercial purposes and just for "him and his mates". Not to overly read the full question or whatever but I felt it a key component.

GET THE NEVE!!! All the way. Based on what you said you wanted it for and based on the fact that SSL's are a dime a dozen, get the NEVE. Just get to know it and keep it in proper repair. As far as the lack of flexIbility IN the MIX phaze, call me simple but... track using the NEVE straight to Protools, then set up all your routing, auxes, compressors etc... (as the plugs have come a very long way and I feel are better than the originals as you can put them on every channel and they are all consistent across the channels) and I prefer to then route each track to a channel or pretty close, with minimal usage of the console at that point. Print back into PT and shazam...it's a party.

IMHO and you can say you have a NEVE. I loved the sound of In Utero.
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

Dude, 8 years later?
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Dude, 8 years later?
And now another 6 years and he still hasn't stated he's made up his mind.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear
You want Neve and API for tracking and SSL for mixing. So you have to get all three!
Old 14th May 2017
I am amazed some said the 4000 series is too crunchy. Yes Owner of a lonely heart and David Bowie Let's Dance was done on the older 4000 series mixers and they sounded amazing.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Daking mkll

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
Well I'm on the verge of purchasing a used large format console so I'm conducting some research into sound and maintenance issues before I start flying all over the place to check them out.

I'll be running it with ProTools and currently have enough outboard mic pre's (API 512C's, Neve 1073's, VIPRE, V76's etc.) to track a whole band live.

Mixing (not tracking) console for pop/rock with about 48+ channels for both private and commercial use. Budget up to $150k USD.

Current contenders are:
SSL 4048 E
API Legacy Plus 48
Neve 8048 (this will cost a little more but hey, it's a Neve!)

Your opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
Hello,
If you want something that sounds Amazing with modern features please check out the Daking mkll. Transformer pres comps, eq filters on every channnels and a killer centersection. Really an amazing desk. Worth a call to Geoff and get some more info.

Cheers
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

He made his mind up... Got a legacy

Just not seen him post around here for a very long time.. 7+ years.

Wiggy
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah...very true stay away from Sonic Circus Freaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songhead View Post
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but this is for Denial's benefit, and not to start a "purity of gearslutz" discussion...been there, done that.

Professional Audio Design is North America's exclusive factory authorized reseller of Pre-owned SSL consoles. We also carry Neve, API, and other Large format consoles. We currently have 7 4K consoles (all sizes), 2 6K and 2 9K consoles, plus others (Neve VR, Focusrite Studio 48, Tridents, Euphonix, etc.)

Give us a call, we have the best service dept in the industry (All SSL factory trained), and we can make sure you get the best console for your money.

PS: Would've emailed directly, but Denial's address isn't posted
Those other dudes will send you an empty box...stick with Pros!
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Just an opinion, I know this might sound crazy, but 48 channels is just not enough for mixing todays modern productions.

You have to step up to 64-72 channels minimum. 96 channels is prefered.

On most PT mixes, i am hitting 32-48 returns to an SSL console. When you start doing complicated mults,parallels and lots of effect returns, you'll will quickly run out of returns.

A standard 4000E series has to be modified to handle every return hitting it it at once(they tend to "close up" especially in the bass and on the highs). This is why a lot of guys use Pultecs on the SSL mix buss, to open up the bottomn a touch and a add a little sheen.

By the way this also happens on the "J"(just on the bass actually).

I heard on the "K" SSL has remedied this issue.

Again this is just an opinion.
Much truth here from thrill!
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

14 years later, after numerous vintage and new consoles tried, I may strongly state that Rupert Neve 5088 with Shelford channels is only analogue console that truly ticks all my boxes. It provides straightforward mixing achievements that are above and beyond any ITB mix attempts (of mine) what justify all efforts of having it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search