The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon PCM 70 vs Model 200 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 11th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Lexicon PCM 70 vs Model 200

I have PCM 70 and I really like its sound
especially concert hall and the famous tiled room.

I happened to find a very good looking conditioned model 200
and thinking about buying it since I can't afford to get 224.
The fact that I'm very interested in 200 is that it's stereo machine.
I've seen some posts that 200 is little metalic sounding.
any comment on 200 from someone has both 200 and 70?

a little worried too about it being very old with ICs that if it stop working,
no way to get it fixed..

Does the fan produce really big noise?
Would 200 let me get to the 224 sound closer than 70?
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

Any takers?
Old 14th November 2014
Here for the gear
If you must have the 224 sound, pretty much only a 224 is going to get you there, but the 200 is slightly closer to it in lineage than the 70 - the only algorithm in the 70 with the magic Lexicon moving delay lines is Concert Hall, whereas I'm pretty sure all the algorithms in a 200 have them.

The 200 is pleasing to my ear and can easily get a cavernous deep space thing going on that's a little harder to replicate on a 70. It's "metallic" in the way all early Lex stuff is metallic I guess.

As for the time bomb aspect... I have heard that many of the parts inside a 224 are actually off-the-shelf and relatively replaceable, as Lexicon was not using proprietary stuff that early in the game. Don't quote me on that, but someone who knows more than I do might be able to chime in and say if it's the same for a 200.

I was surprised to find 2 really high-quality demos of the Model 200 on Youtube which are both pretty thorough. These should give you a starting point.

Old 27th February 2019
Did you find a 200? I've had one in my personal studio for a very long time,. (Although working in other studios, there is only ONE studio that I remember had a 200, the rest had 480s and the occasional 224). The 200, for me was just as fine as either of the other 2,. But,..I was only involved in balls to the wall rock,..so your taste may differ. The snare drum was always the hardest thing to deal with,..and the 200 did quite well with it. Seemed to me like the 224 and 480 units sounded a tad more crispy fake (which is what a lot of 80s rock snare drums ended up like...easy to pick out which ones they were nowadays...)., but hey, It's been a long time so what do I know. I still have a couple of Rev5s around, They are hard to find because I think that those that know they are NOTHING like a rev7,..won't let go. We usually had the 200 tied up on snare..and sometimes the full kit. Rev 5s for the other stuff. I almost talked myself into a 224 once but figured it was my ego talking. We didn't record other stuff commercially,..so I didn't care to have the remote unit sitting on the console to help with the hype.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search