The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PLEASE HELP! HOW TO DEAL WITH WARRANTY REPAIR ISSUE!
Old 6th September 2006
Gear Nut

PLEASE HELP! HOW TO DEAL WITH WARRANTY REPAIR ISSUE!

Hi guys,

This is a first for me, so I need your advice on how to proceed. I have a Millennia STT-1 origin I traded with a fellow forumite, which is still under warranty. The problem is that the unit developed a bad hiss coming from the main output a few days after I got it. I called millennia and they gave me an RMA number and asked me to ship it to them. After they got it, they couldn't reproduce the problem, and just sent the unit back. Well, the unit came back to me with the same exact problem, so I called them again. The guy I talked to thought he might know what it was, and gave me another RMA number, and this time issued a called tag I I wouldn't have to spend money on shipping. The unit got there and again they couldn't reproduce the problem. From talking to them it seemed like all they were doing was testing the unit with their usual meters and things, but not actually listening to it. They apparently changed one of the chips and sent the unit back. Well, the unit arrived today and the same problem is there.

I have used a slew of different cables, both on the input and output, and the problem persists. I have used the same cables on other units, and they worked just fine. Now I don't know what to do. I have kind of lost faith in their ability to fix this, since every time the unit is there they can't hear the problem. Am I going crazy? The second time I sent the unit in they seemed to think it was a problem with my studio, not the unit, which I don't think is the case. How should I proceed?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Luiz
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've had experience with this sort of thing a few times. Take the unit to a friend's studio, or your dealer's place, if you have one that's local, to make absolutely sure it's a problem that can be reproduced somewhere else. If it is, just stand your ground with Millenia - although keep it civil, as they will be less inclined to help you if you piss them off.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Old 6th September 2006
What are you hooking the unit up to each time? The advice above is good.
Old 6th September 2006
Gear Nut

The funny thing is that the unit's main output is connected to the recorder (I use Paris) and that's it. Even when no other cables are connected to the Millennia, just the output to one of the inputs on the Paris interface, the hiss is very, very prominent. How could they not hear it?
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

Millennia has some of the best customer service we have ever encountered...and they will work with you even if its a problem with your implementation. i find often lack of experience in gain structuring to be the fault
Old 6th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orsano View Post
How could they not hear it?
They don't have a Paris rig to connect it to?

Having bounced back declared fit & ready for use - you really need to test it one other place first.
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsano View Post
Hi guys,

Luiz
It may well be a gain stage problem, as suggested. IIRC, in PARIS, you can change the input gain per channel pair from -10 to +4 in the patchbay window. It defaults to -10. Switch it to +4 and see if that helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search