The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shadow Hills GAMA 8 vs. Aurora GTP-8 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 4th June 2013
Shadow Hills GAMA 8 vs. Aurora GTP-8

I run a tiny studio in LA, record mostly broke ass student, musicians,... not really a for profit thing, although it does turn over from time to time. I'm a Software Engineer, so this is mainly a ridiculously expensive hobby for me.

Anyway.

I can't really find much information on the GAMA 8, I got a chance to dick with one VERY briefly in Johannesburg a few months ago, but nothing that really would make an impression.

My office is a block from Aurora Audio, and I've read very good things on the GTP-8, but haven't used it and can't make an informed decision.

Anyone have both these? or has used both these units?

I'm looking for a very clean workhorse series of 8... don't want much coloration, but don't want sterility either.

If either sounds 'better' subjectively on drums specifically I'd like to know.

Thoughts?
Old 4th June 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Hi there.

Ive got the Gama here and have used the aurora on many instances... What i can say about the gamma is that the knobs are much bigger than the sound of the pre... If that makes sense? Its a good pre but honestly not the largest of sounds.. Somewhat reminds me of api ish... Which am not a monster fan of but the transformer selections does help...

As for the Aurora... I think it is a bit more open sounding.. and i like it a hell of alot more on drums verse the shadow hills..

my 2.6 cents...
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

I have heard the Aurora vs a original neve on drums - The GTP-8 is more modern , extended lows the hi end is more open and revealing , It is cleanish but not sterile at all . The neve sounds like the 70's in a good way - GTP-8 def an amazing sounding modern pre amp with enough colour . If I had the extra cash I would grab 2 x the GTP 8
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

between these two I'd definitely get the Aurora GTP-8... I own the gtq-2 (which is the same preamp), and it's a great pre..I think you'll like it..it's colored but still open on top..so you might not feel the colouration too much..
Since you live there, go visit Geoff and Alan, two real gentleman's

If you need something "cleaner" but with balls, my suggestion will be the ATI 8mx2 (now sold under the JDK brand, but it's the same thing.. preamps are the same as in the paragon consoles.. nice preamps, no xformers btw). it's at a different price point (much cheaper), of course it doesn't have the sonic attributes that the GTP-8 has, but are very nice workhorse preamps.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5th June 2013
great input so far,... I sent a message to the guys at Aurora seeing if I could stop by some time. We'll see!

If it affects anyone's opinion... I use a pair of Violet Design Amethyst Vintage for my overheads, and if anyone has used those before they are very very very clean, and 'thick' I believe the term would be.

So far its definitely sounding like the Aurora is the winner.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

I've used the gtq-2 with the Amethyst Vintage on drum room.. simply fantastic combo!! Try to search on other threads, there's one or two where I say that the lowend simply "bloom" with the Aurora, in a nice way..

IME you can't go wrong.. (if you have 5k.. for half than that the 8mx2 definitely holds its own, but it's a different sound, good and workhorse, but maybe not so "classy" as the Aurora.. of course there are more than 2.5k reasons for that too).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I've used the gtq-2 with the Amethyst Vintage on drum room.. simply fantastic combo!!
I'm also considering a GTP8 for my next mic pre purchase. I got turned onto the Amethyst mic because there's a guy who uses them on guitar amps for all his gear demos and they sound good. Waiting for a quote on one.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Aurora preamps sound bad ass, and this is coming from a guy who is hardly ever impressed by modern gear especially when it comes to microphones and mic preamps. If I didn't already have a bunch of vintage Neves I would happily use them in the same places I would use my vintage modules. They are big and open but still have enough color and weight. I work out of a lot of studios and I wish that more of the mid-level studios that are buying cheap Neve clones would buy Auroras instead. It's worth the few extra bucks to have top quality.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

I would chose aurora over ams or any other clone evertime

I wish they would make 10 series size channel amplifiers with tons of frequencies to supplement my vintage ones
Old 6th June 2013
Still haven't heard from anyone over at Aurora... anyone in SoCal wanna let me use their GTP8 or GTQ2 to record a few quick tests?

I'm based in LA, work in Hollywood, don't mind driving to OC or the Valley if need be!

I'll bring beer, hell if its in the OC it'll give me an excuse to stop by The Bruery! :D

PM me.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Go there and knock the door at grandmaster recorders.. Alan or Geoff will open the door.. heh heh heh

Cheu
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonefieldStudio View Post
Still haven't heard from anyone over at Aurora... anyone in SoCal wanna let me use their GTP8 or GTQ2 to record a few quick tests?

I'm based in LA, work in Hollywood, don't mind driving to OC or the Valley if need be!

I'll bring beer, hell if its in the OC it'll give me an excuse to stop by The Bruery! :D

PM me.
Hi

I believe the reason you did not hear from anyone here is that you gave us a non functioning email address and that Andrew wrote to you three/four times each time the email bouncing.

He searched you on Google and found a Gmail that worked and I believe has been in contact with you.

And yes, you are welcome to walk one block and visit us, as stated above.

Posted from my iPhone
Old 10th June 2013
My studio's website is currently being redone, had no idea that the email servers got taken down until a few hours before he messaged me on my personal email (I switched it out on the site when I figured out that the old one wasn't working).

Everything is sorted now, thanks!
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear
GTP8 sounds amazing. They make a great pre. Don't look back.
Old 9th March 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonefieldStudio View Post
I run a tiny studio in LA, record mostly broke ass student, musicians,... not really a for profit thing, although it does turn over from time to time. I'm a Software Engineer, so this is mainly a ridiculously expensive hobby for me.

Anyway.

I can't really find much information on the GAMA 8, I got a chance to dick with one VERY briefly in Johannesburg a few months ago, but nothing that really would make an impression.

My office is a block from Aurora Audio, and I've read very good things on the GTP-8, but haven't used it and can't make an informed decision.

Anyone have both these? or has used both these units?

I'm looking for a very clean workhorse series of 8... don't want much coloration, but don't want sterility either.

If either sounds 'better' subjectively on drums specifically I'd like to know.

Thoughts?

I have the GTQC and do love it (same pre-amp). When I picked it up in L.A., Goeff gave a whole hour tour of his shop -- great gear and support from a real gentleman.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search