The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would you pay for a Chilton CM2 in excellent condition? Consoles
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Addict

What would you pay for a Chilton CM2 in excellent condition?

Hi guys,

Ever since I got a QM1 that I am in the process of restoring I have been considering selling my CM2 once the QM1 is fully restored.

The CM2 for all intents and purposes is in PRISTINE condition, the only fault being the bulbs in the PPM meters needing replacement as they are blown.

The CM2 has 9 mic/line modeules and a stereo line module, two auxes and a master section. As mentioned it has two working Sifam model 23 PPM meters on the meter bridge along with an on-board mono cue speaker and a numerical studio clock, which can be set from the front panel.

There is very little evidence of wear and tear on the console.

Here's a pic:

I see modules on Mik-El's page in Norway (Chilton CM2 Price List) go for 3988 Krone which equates to about $680 a piece. Considering there are nine of those modules in my console, does that mean that, even if we calculate at half that price, it's worth like $3000?

Would it be better to pull the modules and sell them separately?

Cheers
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Addict

Bunp
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Addict

Bump. Any idea guys? The M1 (mic/line) modules go for about $350 each so are we really looking at around $3500 for this desk? Like I said, its in MINT condition.

Cheers
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

I'd say you should at least get $5-6K for it if you're really going to sell it. Though I still sorta want you to keep both and go for high track count mixing, or maybe even start a B-room!

Are the CM1 modules better sounding?
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Addict

$5-6K??? Are you sure? If so that is crazy awesome!

Well the CM1 modules are opamp-based (I think they might have Sowter input transformers) but the QM1s are fully discrete and transformer balanced. Not sure on how they compare sonically because I haven't really used the QM1 yet.

Cheers
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
$5-6K??? Are you sure? If so that is crazy awesome!

Well the CM1 modules are opamp-based (I think they might have Sowter input transformers) but the QM1s are fully discrete and transformer balanced. Not sure on how they compare sonically because I haven't really used the QM1 yet.

Cheers
Yeah I wouldn't sell it for too cheap. Those transformers and opamps aren't cheap components, I just multiplied things out from the number of channels on the CM2...honestly I was low-balling a little since I wasn't factoring in the frame and I was rounding down a bit.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

A few months ago, there was a completely restored QM3 24/8/2 in e-bay which didn't sell for 4200 Pounds.

So, I think that's a bit too much... But who knows?

(Keep on working on that chilton thread and eventually...)

Regards,
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

That desk you talk about was sold for £4200 cash
The CM desks arent discrete like the majority of the QM desks, more IC based, not that there is anything wrong with that, but probably sound a bit cleaner.
I think £1500 would be about right for it, maybe £2000 on a (very) good day.
I think the 12 channel QM3 are probably worth about £2000-2500
Nice desks, kind of miss mine but didnt have the space any more, use a Chandler mini mixer now and a Lunchbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
A few months ago, there was a completely restored QM3 24/8/2 in e-bay which didn't sell for 4200 Pounds.

So, I think that's a bit too much... But who knows?

(Keep on working on that chilton thread and eventually...)

Regards,
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
The CM desks arent discrete like the majority of the QM desks, more IC based, not that there is anything wrong with that, but probably sound a bit cleaner.
I think £1500 would be about right for it, maybe £2000 on a (very) good day.
I think the 12 channel QM3 are probably worth about £2000-2500
Nice desks, kind of miss mine but didnt have the space any more, use a Chandler mini mixer now and a Lunchbox
Ahh thanks for clearing that up.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Good to know. Good deal indeed. I seemed to remember the auction ended though... Was it yours?

What would you pay for a Chilton CM2 in excellent condition?Chilton QM3 24/8/2 mixing console mixer desk like API NEVE CALREC AUDIX | eBay
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

I know the seller, it was sold off of Ebay for £4200 cash.
The buyers got a great desk, the desk had been damn near rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
Good to know. Good deal indeed. I seemed to remember the auction ended though... Was it yours?

What would you pay for a Chilton CM2 in excellent condition?Chilton QM3 24/8/2 mixing console mixer desk like API NEVE CALREC AUDIX | eBay
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Addict

This is all great news, thanks guys.

Yes, the CM2 is not discrete but AFAIK does have Sowter input transformers. Good solid British-engineered opamp-based solid state. With the faders at +10 you can get 70dB of pretty clean gain out of each channel. It's got 75Hz HPFs and phantom on all channels but is switchable on the first four. The three band fixed-Q EQ is transparent and minimalist, which is kind of what you need for tracking. Perfect for sweetening and tone shaping. It is in absolute MINT condition apart from the PPM bulbs needing replacing. Everything works, even the numerical clock and built-in mono PFL speaker. It's also got an oscillator, two auxes and monitor outs. It's just a very simple, clean and great sounding little mixer.

What I find really helpful is that the channel and PPM red lights come on when you're peaking around +4dBu (maybe something to do with broadcast?), which is a good indication of where to keep your levels. Someone might walk into one my sessions and see all these red lights going and think I'm a real doosh! Little do they know I have another 16dB of headroom and all's well!

Then there's the QM1...

It needs some work. We're talking about a two year project here. My tech has so far fabricated the line driver card for the master section, installed the master section fader panel and refurbed the power supply. It still needs driver cards for the PPM meters, channel metering and cards for the C25 comps. Problem is, I am having a hell of a time finding edgewise VU meters for the channels (ironically, the channel meters came standard as edgewise Back Simpson VUs and the more expensive upgrade was LED!). Found a guy online that said he could source them but they would be $200 a pop. For 12? That's $2400 I don't have right now. The other option is to get Velleman LED meter kits and install those. Might be a lot cheaper but it won't be a proper restoration.

In any case, I want to use the QM1 because as it sits, it's still operational for a front-end sort of setup. The preamps and direct outs still work.

Oh the joys.

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Addict

qm3

i have a qm3 for sale in the classifieds for cheap....
Old 4th January 2014
Here for the gear

Which classifieds?
Old 18th February 2016
Here for the gear

Hey there, I am in the process of having a CM-4 restored and I am looking for parts. Does anyone have any lines on where to get original parts?
I have been on the Mikkelsens site but, am looking for pots and faders etc. before I even consider new modules. Any leads?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search