The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The most expensive studio monitors!! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Head

The most expensive studio monitors!!

That's gonna make your head turn!
StudioHeads released a list of the most expensive studio monitors !
What they have in common? They are all Gigantic ! Well most of them
Most Expensive Studio Monitors
This is definitely High end!
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

flip!!! Some okes have loads of cash!!!!
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Guru

But, I would say, none of those are "studio monitors" - they are all top end audiophile units.
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

YOu've got to be kidding me?! When I saw that I was already at $500k and I was only half way through the list...well, I just gave up, I only went forward to see the most expensive...

Can't imagine anyone would ever need more than this...

PMC Loudspeakers BB5 XBD - Pair - Active Speakers - Speakers - Monitoring - Recording - Vintage King Audio

Even this will knock the socks off of most of that audiophile crap...

http://vintageking.com/recording-gea...kers-scm300asl
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
But, I would say, none of those are "studio monitors" - they are all top end audiophile units.
they should be one in the same
Old 31st May 2013
I think they're mere pieces of art with expensive components more than anything.
Old 31st May 2013
Jesus Christ !

A little bit over the top...

R.
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:On The Rock:. View Post
I think they're mere pieces of art with expensive components more than anything.
I agree
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
And one ugly art that is indeed
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Head

Right... Audiophile sculpture installations. Beautiful, but I'm willing to bet that more than a few of those sound like s#*t.
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

I´ve heard the Backes + Müller BM100. These are HiFi speakers, not studiomonitors, like all the other speakers mentioned on this page. Even the pricing on that page is wrong. Those BM100 have an interesting concept and sound impressive (for HiFi enthusiasts), though. The look is debatable, the sound is not. But I would not want to work with them in my controlroom. If you want to see studiomonitors from the same company then look at their KS-digital product range: KSDigital Studio Monitors - KSDigital EN Their ADM20 + sub, C5 and C55 are what we use daily and I cannot praise them enough.
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

Would any of you guys ever really spend $100K+ on a pair of speakers? Even if you had the money? What's the freakin' point?
Old 2nd June 2013

Ummmm, guys...this is High End.

It seems obvious to me that most of you making comments in this thread have never heard GREAT speakers.

You should try it sometime.

You would probably be BLOWN AWAY.

Great speakers require great components which cost real money.

They also require years of true scientific research and development and experimentation.

Great speakers generally do not have crappy $10 tweeters, and ****ty crossovers and amplifiers
all squashed into a ****ty factory-molded plastic box.

How great can your speakers REALLY sound with ****ty $10 tweeters in them,
and a crappy crossover and amplifier?

Most of the "professional studio" speakers people use sound like ass.

They're designed and produced cheaply in order to be sold to gullible wannabe consumers at cheap prices.

Contrary to the silly and ignorant comments around here, real audiophiles know MUCH more about monitoring
than most of the fools who call themselves engineers and producers in the "music industry".

Again, this is High End.

And the REAL High End guys around here know what time it is.

Yes, you can often get from point A to point B with a decent pair of tools.

But true high end and audiophile gear is a whole different level.

My monitoring setup is at least $20k, and I'm just scratching the surface.

But the difference between my monitors and most "professional studio" monitors now is already night and day.

Use your EARS before you judge with your eyes and consumerist brainwashing, please.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE to hear some of these speakers.

Go HEAR them, and then come back here and post REAL opinions based on your experiences.

I have a feeling most of you will be singing quite a different tune.

Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Personally, my goal is to be able to hear detail and put out a professional sounding product. I most certainly have noticed that after a certain point, there is no more 'detail', for monitoring sake, that a speaker can push out. Also, after that certain point of diminished returns, again, something I've noticed, you don't have to agree, having heard monitors over $60k, speakers tend to just flatter the sound and they many times become way less conducive to providing a true perspective as to what is really in your source or program material...I'm talking about studio monitoring only...audiophile, consumer and playback are different. For that, good old Bang & Olufsen or Klipsch are just 'peachy'...it's just different. I just need the naked truth. I don't need a speaker to flatter the source, I need it to tell me what's really going on so I can make the right decisions.
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Maniac

i have never heard 60k speakers that flatter the sound. what were they? high fidelity speakers are usually just that. high fidelity. they reproduce the input signal more faithfully than other speakers. just as it would be difficult to describe the difference between the experience of driving a ford focus and a porsche to someone who has never driven, it would be just as hard to describe the lack of grain, coherency, zero overhang, and smearing of sound by inexpensive speakers to someone without them hearing them.
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

It seems obvious to me that most of you making comments in this thread have never heard GREAT speakers.

They also require years of true scientific research and development and experimentation.

Great speakers generally do not have crappy $10 tweeters, and ****ty crossovers and amplifiers

They're designed and produced cheaply in order to be sold to gullible wannabe consumers at cheap prices.

Contrary to the silly and ignorant comments around here, real audiophiles know MUCH more about monitoring
than most of the fools who call themselves engineers and producers in the "music industry".

Again, this is High End.

But the difference between my monitors and most "professional studio" monitors now is already night and day.

Use your EARS before you judge with your eyes and consumerist brainwashing, please.

Go HEAR them, and then come back here and post REAL opinions based on your experiences.

Oh please. My neighbor owns a pair of B&W Nautilus (the shells) and some very high end Martin Logans. Requisite amps and source boxes are present as well. Both pairs sound great - simply stunning. I think most everyone's point here is that the uber hi-fi world doesn't always accept the law of diminishing return and things can get a bit silly. There exists a threshold where value and intent become something to disregard. When you've got people spending $6 million on a pair of speakers - to me that isn't something I respect or admire. To me that is unbridled wastefulness and consumerism.

BUT

I'm sure the speakers sound amazing...I just dont care about that more than I am somewhat appalled by using those kind of resources (financial or physical) on a pair of speakers for someones living room. Kind of just seems like a big d*** waving contest to me.

Who's really "gullible wannabe consumer" here? I would argue it to be the folks who buy these insane speakers.
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Sure, the #1 slot comes in at over 6 million/pair, but the amps are built into the speakers, and there's a USB interface, so when you factor that in they're not really THAT expensive.
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Again, this is High End.

Audiophile brainwashed priest preaches to the consumerist brainwashed crowd. Amen.
But hey, each for his own - mix on a million dollar hifi speaker set and see how it translates...
Man, sometimes I envy those guys in the snake oil bussiness - 6 millions for a set of speakers? Easy money for sure...
Old 3rd June 2013

You guys are all missing my point.

As long as you guys keep criticizing speakers you haven't actually heard - your arguments are WEAK.

I'm just saying - judge with your EARS, not your eyes and deeply programmed industry rhetoric.

It's RIDICULOUS to judge speakers you haven't heard.

And newsflash - there are JUST as many "snake-oil salesman" in your precious "recording industry, if not WAY more!!!"

And most of you guys fall for all the BS marketing and branding hype all freeking day long.

Most recording engineers and producers have NO IDEA what goes into developing and building a great speaker.

But please, don't let me interrupt your oh-so-scientifically-based rants about gear you've never used.

Good luck with that.

And remember, this is High End.

If you don't have the cash or high end taste, or if you have resentful attitudes toward wealthy folks or expensive gear,
perhaps you should be posting in another forum.

This is High End.

Maybe you guys need to be reminded exactly what that means.

Yeah, I can drive across the country in a Yugo, too - but it will not deliver me the comfort and luxury of a luxury sedan or sports car.

If you're tracking or mixing lame music, you can do that on whatever speakers you like.

If you're mixing densely-layered music with a ton of detail, then you better have some kickass monitors.

And newsflash for some of you - kickass monitors cost money.

You wanna keep mixing on generic cheaply-manufactured garbage, be my guest.

All I can say is I hope it's worth all the time you're wasting - not hearing your music properly.

Cheers, and happy listening!

Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Guru

Not sure where to start or what to say......

I really don't care what they sound like........
Most of them are ugly as freaking crap.
Not sure if they are high end, how about rear end.
No way I would spend more $$$ on speakers as such vs my home,
btw.....are these for sale at GC ?
Do they have a booth for these at Namm?
They are WAY TO BIGGGGGG

Got to be kidding, are they really a market for such ?

I get depressed enough with what I have ending up on a mp3

enough said.... I think.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...something like it no doubt....Chesky Records) is the day I shoot myself.
ignorant.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

I got invited over to someone's house to hear these speakers:
Speakers - MBL

$60k/pair

I was really impressed. They weren't impressive in a +/- 1db kind of way; it was more of a "You have Norah Jones and band playing in your living room" experience. Unlike anything I have ever heard from studio monitors. I could have listened to those speakers for hours.
Old 3rd June 2013
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I managed an audiophile shop (and tried to educate people into REAL speakers and acoustical treatment), it was explained to me that audiophilia for many is class status identification. When business associates and friends walk in, they need to see what is in the trade magazines, and be blown away with what it can do, but not necessarily the reality of what it does. It's like farmers talking about tractors and attachments. This old man told me that his home stereo system was the equivalent of his wife's shoes, jewelry and fake boobs. He didn't care what he owned. He just wanted to trust me to give him the latest and greatest so he could impress people. He couldn't hear a difference.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

You guys are all missing my point.

As long as you guys keep criticizing speakers you haven't actually heard - your arguments are WEAK.

I'm just saying - judge with your EARS, not your eyes and deeply programmed industry rhetoric.

It's RIDICULOUS to judge speakers you haven't heard.

And newsflash - there are JUST as many "snake-oil salesman" in your precious "recording industry, if not WAY more!!!"

And most of you guys fall for all the BS marketing and branding hype all freeking day long.

Most recording engineers and producers have NO IDEA what goes into developing and building a great speaker.

But please, don't let me interrupt your oh-so-scientifically-based rants about gear you've never used.

Good luck with that.

And remember, this is High End.

If you don't have the cash or high end taste, or if you have resentful attitudes toward wealthy folks or expensive gear,
perhaps you should be posting in another forum.

This is High End.

Maybe you guys need to be reminded exactly what that means.

Yeah, I can drive across the country in a Yugo, too - but it will not deliver me the comfort and luxury of a luxury sedan or sports car.

If you're tracking or mixing lame music, you can do that on whatever speakers you like.

If you're mixing densely-layered music with a ton of detail, then you better have some kickass monitors.

And newsflash for some of you - kickass monitors cost money.

You wanna keep mixing on generic cheaply-manufactured garbage, be my guest.

All I can say is I hope it's worth all the time you're wasting - not hearing your music properly.

Cheers, and happy listening!

I have 10k speakers in my private home cinema/listening room, designed and hand made by a small manufacturer in Germany.
So yes, there are most likely better and more expensive speakers out there, but I'm not a poor guy with a "resentful attitude towards wealthy people", thanks - just a guy who knows that there's reasonable prices you have to pay for quality and then there's wasting money on snobbish prestige objects.

And I don't blame you for admiring those objects - just stop justifying your fetish with insulting rants. There's nothing sound quality wise that justifies spending several hundred K or even millions for speakers. Those are just luxury objects for people who like to surround themselves with valuable objects and like to show what they have. That's totally OK, each for his own, but don't tell me that this has anything to do with sound quality.
But you're welcome to explain to me what the superior sonic advantages of speaker chassis made of solid gold over traditional wooden ones are.

And off course there's also snake oil in the recording industry. For me, 1k wonder mic cables are as useless as 1mio hifi speakers. The one thing doesn't justify the other.

Regarding your car analogy: We're not talking sedan vs yugo here, we're talking Audi/BMW/Mercedes vs a golden Rolls Roys. I prefer the former.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

I have no problem with spending ridiculous amounts of cash on listening equipment.
I have heard 150k speakers which I thought were worth every penny.
But I had to giggle at some of these speakers.
How far away would you have to sit to hear these speakers sweet spot?

Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I have no problem with spending ridiculous amounts of cash on listening equipment.
I have heard 150k speakers which I thought were worth every penny.
But I had to giggle at some of these speakers.
How far away would you have to sit to hear these speakers sweet spot?

Well, if your listening room has the size of a church, you definitely need those things (still terribly ugly, imho).
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
...features "Sub atomic particle accelerators for SPDIF transmission" WTF?
Is routing your digital cables through LHC "da ****" now, audiophiles get wet dreams about? And I thought cryogenic cables were crazy stuff, ignorant peasant that I am...
Old 3rd June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
...features "Sub atomic particle accelerators for SPDIF transmission" WTF?
Is routing your digital cables through LHC "da ****" now, audiophiles get wet dreams about? And I thought cryogenic cables were crazy stuff, ignorant peasant that I am...
Apparently they are some time travel device which returns to the recording session and somehow removes all the inherent distortion.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
Apparently they are some time travel device which returns to the recording session and somehow removes all the inherent distortion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search