The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sytek MPX-4aii vs. Avalon M5/2022
Old 22nd May 2013
Here for the gear

Sytek MPX-4aii vs. Avalon M5/2022

I was hoping to find a comparison between the Sytek and the Avalon M5/2022, but I couldn't find anything on the subject. Are they comparable performance-wise? I have heard shootouts between boutique and budget preamps, and I really don't want to spend the money (considering the price of Avalon's) if the difference is going to be very marginal. Btw, my current setup is Sytek, Focusrite 828. The application is male vocals in the genre of country and jazz.
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Hey there,

I haven't used the Avalon, but you should be able to make your Sytek and Focusrite work well for you. They are both fine pieces of equipment.
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

The Sytek is not even on the same playing field as the 2022. They are at completely different price points (not even close) with different feature sets, etc... The 2022 is the only piece of gear I like that Avalon puts out. The build quality is very high end and it is a wonderfully clear yet robust preamp. I had one for many years but eventually realized there are many more options for less money out there that are just as good so it went bye bye for something else. That being said, there is nothing wrong or bad about the Sytek pres. They are still better than a lot of the fancy badged junk that's on the market right now.

It is tough to judge what upgrades would matter most / make an appreciable difference with other peoples setups. Like Seamus said, the pre's you have will work and not be a big hinderance with tracking. Be aware that dumping big money into a new front end piece will not make an earth shattering difference without the other front end gear being at the level to support it. Without knowing anything else about your front end, your money may be more wisely spent on something else...?
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

The Avalon 2022 is another clean, solid state preamp.
Better than the Sytek?
Probably, but it gets to be a game of millimeters sometimes.

If I were to chose something different, I'd go with something colored.

FWIW, I own a Sytek (first preamp I ever bought) and a few others, among them a Sebatron, which IMHO is nicely but not overly colored and is a good companion to the Sytek (and cost a lot less than the 2022, especially used).
Old 19th March 2016
Gear Head

I own the 2022, Sytek and Great River. All have their specialities. The 2022 is kind of in a different league as far as headroom and pure sonic fidelity which translates really well (for me) as a kick and snare preamp. Headroom for days and deep punch. The Sytek 4 channel is great for overheads and room mics with high quality mics. Great River when pushed into saturation is the best pre for electric GTR and the Palmer PDI 03. Peace.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Sytek is outstanding. Made in Chicago, made right.

Buy it today.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Syteks are the backbone to Neotek, I personally like the quad system preamps, just like older MCI stuff it sits and records really well, no complaints using Sytek X 12 preamps!
4 units in a rack
3 racks
Perfect!
Old 23rd March 2016
Here for the gear

Apples, Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound View Post
The Sytek is not even on the same playing field as the 2022.
Really, I have owned them both and they are surely on the same playing field.
Different, but know one in their right mind can say one is better than the other.
Quote:
They are at completely different price points (not even close)
Now we're getting to what you truly mean, that you believe a piece of gear's performance is determined by price, which is a complete fallacy.

I've used lower priced gear that I would pick over some of the higher priced stuff and vice versa. We hear this over and over, depends on the situation and what you need to accomplish at that moment.

To give the op some actual real world feedback, the Sytek is a quick preamp. very fast and tight. Probably not my first choice for vocals but excellent on drums. You get 4 channels for way cheaper than the Avalon. Both nice and you can't go wrong with either.

Now, if you want my opinion (which is just that, an opinion) I personally would rather have the A Designs Pacifica over almost ANY preamp...in ANY price range. The thing is a study of perfection. Best pre I think I've ever used and I've had LOTS of em (Great River, Summit, Langevin, Chandler, Neve, yada yada)
In any case there are sooo many options these days Im sure you'll find something you'll love. Peace
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Duprey View Post
Really, I have owned them both and they are surely on the same playing field.
Different, but know one in their right mind can say one is better than the other.

Now we're getting to what you truly mean, that you believe a piece of gear's performance is determined by price, which is a complete fallacy.

I've used lower priced gear that I would pick over some of the higher priced stuff and vice versa. We hear this over and over, depends on the situation and what you need to accomplish at that moment.

To give the op some actual real world feedback, the Sytek is a quick preamp. very fast and tight. Probably not my first choice for vocals but excellent on drums. You get 4 channels for way cheaper than the Avalon. Both nice and you can't go wrong with either.

Now, if you want my opinion (which is just that, an opinion) I personally would rather have the A Designs Pacifica over almost ANY preamp...in ANY price range. The thing is a study of perfection. Best pre I think I've ever used and I've had LOTS of em (Great River, Summit, Langevin, Chandler, Neve, yada yada)
In any case there are sooo many options these days Im sure you'll find something you'll love. Peace

Yup, the best I muster after 30 years of playing with this stuff is determine something is better based on price. You got me.
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup, the best I muster after 30 years of playing with this stuff is determine something is better based on price. You got me.
And you should be caught out. For shame. Judging gear on price when it should be judged on weight. Sheer mass. The M5 actually warps the space time continuum around it. Fortuately mine's in a steel rack, but the additional power supply forced me to structurally reinforce the floor underneath. I think the damping factor is what makes it sound ****ing awesome. Massive cream.
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

People say the Sytek is good for drums, and it sorta is, but the other side of it, is that it is definitely not a mic pre that you want to run hot and if memory serves me correctly, there are also no pads...and it pretty much goes straight into abrasive clipping. Not something you want to "run hot". It is possible to wind up needing to pad a mic on drum set, if it's a close mic + the sytek.

Personally, drums are the last thing I would think of it excelling at because of those reasons...though I understand why people say that, because it is just clean gain, and *can* yield great drum sounds. It is great at anything that you want to just sound nice and clean, and tracks recorded with it stack well, etc.
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Head

My 2022 has the best and most accurate low frequency response of all my preamps.
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Guru

I always used the sytek on overhead and generally acoustic mics. Does pretty well there. Never owned an Avalon in my days.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search