The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any of you ADAM S3A users ever migrate to ProAc 100's
Old 18th May 2013
Gear Addict

Any of you ADAM S3A users ever migrate to ProAc 100's

I've been using and enjoying my S3A's (paired with a Sub10 mkII) for 6 or 7 years now. I feel like I know these speakers inside out. However, I've had a few guest engineers requesting an alternative monitoring system in my room lately. I really don't want to go back to NS-10's. I will keep a pair around if enough people are asking for them, but I feel like there are plenty of better alternatives these days. After some thought and research, I decided to try out a pair of ProAc 100's. I've got them powered by an Adcom GFA 545 II right now. I realize that I'm not getting the full picture using this amp. I'm sorting through my options to upgrade to a more powerful amp in the near future so that I make my final evaluation of the ProAc's. The whole "which amp do I go with" debate is tired. I'm not really looking to get into that. There are plenty of threads here in GS relating to that topic. For the record, I'm considering ponying up for a Bryston B4STT2 as everyone seems to love that combination. Also considering modding an Adcom GFA 555 as I hear that is quite the clean and powerful contender once it is modded...and very cost effective compared to a Bryston.

Back to the monitors... I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who left their ADAM S3A's for a pair of ProAc 100's. And if so, what were your feelings on the differences between the two? What made you change. Were you using a sub? Are you using one now with the ProAc's? Any and all opinions are valid in my book, so long as you used the S3A's long enough to really know them.

I've got the S3A's and Proac's side-by-side right now. I did a burn-in period of about 16 hours of solid playback before really taking a close listen to the ProAc's. I hear obvious differences. But without an amp that can really do the ProAc's justice, I'll refrain from sharing my opinions.

Would love to hear about some of your experiences.

Thanks,

Shirk
Old 18th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
I've been using and enjoying my S3A's (paired with a Sub10 mkII) for 6 or 7 years now. I feel like I know these speakers inside out. However, I've had a few guest engineers requesting an alternative monitoring system in my room lately. I really don't want to go back to NS-10's. I will keep a pair around if enough people are asking for them, but I feel like there are plenty of better alternatives these days. After some thought and research, I decided to try out a pair of ProAc 100's. I've got them powered by an Adcom GFA 545 II right now. I realize that I'm not getting the full picture using this amp. I'm sorting through my options to upgrade to a more powerful amp in the near future so that I make my final evaluation of the ProAc's. The whole "which amp do I go with" debate is tired. I'm not really looking to get into that. There are plenty of threads here in GS relating to that topic. For the record, I'm considering ponying up for a Bryston B4STT2 as everyone seems to love that combination. Also considering modding an Adcom GFA 555 as I hear that is quite the clean and powerful contender once it is modded...and very cost effective compared to a Bryston.

Back to the monitors... I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who left their ADAM S3A's for a pair of ProAc 100's. And if so, what were your feelings on the differences between the two? What made you change. Were you using a sub? Are you using one now with the ProAc's? Any and all opinions are valid in my book, so long as you used the S3A's long enough to really know them.

I've got the S3A's and Proac's side-by-side right now. I did a burn-in period of about 16 hours of solid playback before really taking a close listen to the ProAc's. I hear obvious differences. But without an amp that can really do the ProAc's justice, I'll refrain from sharing my opinions.

Would love to hear about some of your experiences.

Thanks,

Shirk
Steve-
A pair of older S3a's [the best version they made IMO] are bigger,more extended, and maybe more 'hifi' than the Proac's. That aside I'd take Proac's over NS10 anytime- ANYTIME. The Proac's are in use by a lot of top guys, and the best I've heard them [so far] was at Vance's in Nashburg, listening to Jack's work at high bit rates, and they sounded really great, but so does Vance's work anyway. In a relatively untreated room they were quite impressive. The right amp is critical as you know, and something really high fi like a Audio Research or PASS might be a good option as well. Bryston is a bit harder in the HF than some other choices, but with a really nice stiff LF...borrow my 4 to try sometime if you want.

Steve- your stuff sounds great to me as well [no LF issues or any weirdness], and if you are buying speakers for other people using your spanking new room, maybe poll them about their needs and swap out when they are paying?

Best-
Jonathan
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Steve-
A pair of older S3a's [the best version they made IMO] are bigger,more extended, and maybe more 'hifi' than the Proac's. That being side I'd take Proac's over NS10 anytime- ANYTIME. The Proac's are in use by a lot of top guys, and the best I've heard them [so far] was at Vance's in Nashburg, listening to Jack's work at high bit rates, and they sounded really great, but so does Vance's work anyway. In a relatively untreated room they were quite impressive. The right amp is critical as you know, and something really high fi like a Audio Research or PASS might be a good option as well. Bryston is a bit harder in the HF than some other choices, but with a really nice stiff LF...borrow my 4 to try sometime if you want.

Steve- your stuff sounds great to me as well [no LF issues or any weirdness], and if you are buying speakers for other people using your spanking new room, maybe poll them about their needs and swap out when they are paying?

Best-
Jonathan
I just when through this a while back. Ended up not swapping. Curious to see some suggestions.
Old 20th May 2013
Gear Head

I have both, no sub. For me the ProAcs are way more fun to listen to, and the mixes I do on them are more musical. While I am doing mixes on the ProAcs I am thinking " I can't here as well on these as the Adams, this ain't gonna work", but somehow the mixes translate. The more I stay with the ProAcs, the better I hear on them.

The Adams made me shun guitars for 6 years or so. Tracking guitars is no fun on the Adams for me either. I think I'm just done with forensic audio and going more with the feel of things. I had a friends PMC two two's for a couple of weeks and they sounded great, BUT, the mixes I did on the ProAcs sounded better on the PMC's than the mixes I did on the PMC's.... go figure.

Thats just how they work for me and my funky ears.

Roscoe
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies. So far I'm really enjoying the ProAc 100's. In a side by side comparison, the S3A's are definitely more extended and offer greater detail. (More present midrange information, hiss and tape noise floor are more audible) Keep in mind I'm not using the greatest amp with the ProAc's (Adcom GFA 545 II). However, the translation to the outside world is fantastic on the ProAc's. Going to keep digging in and continue to get more familiar with these.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Old thread, but I'm curious if you have any more input on this. Just got a pair of ProAc 100's to sit next to my old trusty Equator D5's....now I'm thinking Adam S3A's might be a good companion, or even the new S3X-H (if the prices ever come down) or even a great deal on a pair of Barefoots (unlikely).

BTW, haven't hooked the Proacs up yet....they'll be powered with a Bryston 4b for now, and a pair of mono block Hypex NC400's very soon.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search