The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to evaluate an EMT 140 plate reverb?
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

I have springs for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
They almost always snap during tensioning. The trick is not to over-tighten, but listen to the plate and the springs themselves while tapping them with your 10mm wrench.

The driver coil could be open/burned out, but that is unlikely. If it is, a competent coil winder could repair. More probably, it is the driver amplifier.

Take a look at the attached photo, the magnet comes off,, the coil is attached to the plate.

Any decent power amplifier will do. There does seem to be some "magic" in the EMT class A driver amp, however. I've powered 140's with Mac 75's but it wasn't better.

As far as the lovers of the martin so called upgrade, if you like the sound of cheap 38 cent ic chips, good for you.
Not many folks complained about the "noise" of well maintained tube 140's back in 50's and 50's.
Absolutely!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have springs for sale OEM (don't know what the other guy is selling, and I have two mono and two stereo OEM tube EMT amps for sale as well as a very very early EMT (the one in the Original ad with four pickups instead of two). This plate is a stereo transitor (super early one) . I've also got another newer plate (stereo transitor) not perfect for sale as well PM me.
Old 27th May 2013
Gear Addict

Tell her "this is gonna be AWESOME!"

Short story, and congrats on choosing to buy it:

A few years ago, I did a roundabout trade, getting an EMT 140 sight-unseen, for a broken Echoplate II which I had fixed as I was trading it.*

The 'new' plate arrived by truck - I was PISSED! It was water damaged, rusty sheet metal, broken clips, but a nice fresh EMT amplifier, lol. Ironically, it was sold and shipped by Dan Alexander, but he followed NONE of his precautions about tying down the plate and damper etc. : /

I wanted to put it at the curb. Dan and my tech insisted we give it a try. He sent clips; and I think we had to replace the driver coil, which we got from a local speaker reconing guy. The coil might have been for the Echoplate.

Anyway... despite or because of the rust, it's a gorgeous sounding plate! Love it. Best of the three here, lol. =) Every day I'm glad I got it working instead of giving up.

*The driver amp for the Echoplate II was dead, too. I had a card from an old API console that was a ~10W amp; we wired it in, and it works great for the job!
Old 12th June 2013
Lives for gear

Great tips, thanks guys!

The move will happen this Sunday. So a moving / logistical question...

If I follow Dan Alexander's instructions so the plate can't move then... With the sides off, can I tilt the box at a 45 degree pitch AND a 30-40 degree yaw, in order to move it into my basement, without endangering the clips / springs?

Or, to put it another way: how the heck do you move an EMT 140 down a set of stairs with a low ceiling???

Thanks Slutz!

Johann
Attached Thumbnails
How to evaluate an EMT 140 plate reverb?-emt_140_down_stairs.png  
Old 15th December 2013
Here for the gear

Emt 140 dampers

Hello
I have an emt 140 tube plate. Someone told me about a Risk to manage it inside since damper seems done with asbestos. Some one can let me know if there some risks for engineers or clients using these cool plates and keeping of on studio room? Thanks Paride
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paride64 View Post
Hello
I have an emt 140 tube plate. Someone told me about a Risk to manage it inside since damper seems done with asbestos. Some one can let me know if there some risks for engineers or clients using these cool plates and keeping of on studio room? Thanks Paride
This is not a problem....unless you are sniffing something off the plate.

Old 5th April 2018
Here for the gear

Always wondered if The Flamingos cut of "I Only Have Eyes For You" was an EMT 140.

I was 5 when the song was released (1959) & the first "modern" sounding song that gave me the itch to be a musician.. pls. tell me that was plate reverb -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search