The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEVE 33609 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvancorduroy View Post
if you want transparent, then get Smart C2.
Hmmmm.. I think the smart has a tone and squish factor all of its own... dont get me wrong I love this box to bits but this has got a flavour fo sure! i can think of a couple of things that are far more transparent compared to my beloved C2!

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 29th January 2009
Got a 33609JD

Its on everything that goes via my master buss, its exactly what I want stuff to sound like, that into a tube eq thats on but with no eq engaged. My tube amp is Vortexion 1966 vintage, not a pultec but then after all we are jolly British chaps!.
heh
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Guru

Older thread I know but I have a question, overall using the 33609 on 2 buss, does a eq work better pre or post 33609 ?
My guess is pre.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Older thread I know but I have a question, overall using the 33609 on 2 buss, does a eq work better pre or post 33609 ?
My guess is pre.
Depends on what you are doing. You have to think about what is happening to the signal if you first compress it then add an eq as against eqing and then compressing the end signal.

For example, if you have a particularly, bass heavy mix that you are going to reduce some of the bass end with eq, it might well be better to place the eq first, as the bass content will effect how the detection works and will in itself produce a different compression effect. The rest you will have to figure out for yourself, it's a question of different strokes for different folks, and/or situations.

Good luck!
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Guru

Thanks, so far I like mine pre because the 33609 does not take away the highs/mids when heavy compressed like other compressors do so often, I will try post sometime.
Old 30th November 2012
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
In order to make them work on the 2 buss, you have to follow them by an EQ.

The 33609 loves the Pultecs.

Its like they were made for each other. Kick in a little 10K and its pure magic.
Absolutely if you follow a 33609JD into almost any decent pentode/triode tube line amp with great transformers and back into the Protools master buss you will have a heck of a sound with or without the EQ engaged.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Addict

who knows what version of 33609 is this ??
looks like the very first model...

Attached Thumbnails
NEVE 33609-33609.jpg  
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post

That the one on ebay from poland?

Rev a with non-original knobs it appears
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Addict

yes nickel !

just surfing eBay and got curious, cause i reading this post few weeks ago and you guys talking about "metal knobs" version.
and that one looked me so strange !

if it's the earlier version should have the very best Neve vintage sound
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Well the 33609 iss12/a surely is the last of the vintage neve comps to get

Grab a pair of 2264/32264 though if you can
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post

Hi

Yes, it looks like an original but the metal 53 series knobs replaced with Sifam collet knobs.

The give away of originals is usually the locking rocker switch, incandescent lamp and fuse on the right side.

I suggested, begged, and damn near stamped my feet and pulled my hair to get the change note committee to change that expensive switch and lamp for a neon rocker switch (we did not stock them but RS Components sold them at a fraction of the cost) but it was turned down, along with my suggestion of a LM317T or LM7824 based power supply with much lower noise, but they denied my request and said it would change the sound. After I left Neve they brought out the /C with all the points I raised... but I believe that was the point they changed the transformers that I would never had suggested as that sure as Hell changed the sound.

As an aside, around this time I was also selling racks loaded with 51 series channel module components... mic pre, EQ, etc.

I was summoned to the managing director's office and told to stop making them as studios would buy SSL consoles and those racks to get the Neve sound instead of buying Neve consoles.

After I left Neve they brought out the Prism racks full of V series channel module components, virtually identical to what I had been producing as a Special Order for eager customers!

Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Well the 33609 iss12/a surely is the last of the vintage neve comps to get

Grab a pair of 2264/32264 though if you can
I have a pair of vintage 2264A modules racked vertical. look great, work great and sound fabulous.

vcode has been using them for the last 4 years, and his mixes are superb.

I will consider selling for the right price, or trade for a C12, a Fairman EQ, or a Brauner KHE ( I will throw in some cash).
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Use the classifieds
Old 27th June 2014
Gear Guru

I have the 33609 C version, could not be more happier tracking or on the 2 buss.
It always stand out with its character.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search