The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend a tube preamp that's not one of the usual suspects!
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Uhm, shamelessly plugging your own product is not in line with GS etiquette. Especially not at the expense of competitor's products. I've seen you do this a few times within a few days in several threads now. Unless you're handing out units for free I'd say: throttle down a bit. You'd probably like to keep our good will if you want to sell, no?
I take heed to moderators' instructions, not just any member's arbitrary opinion about what's right. As a member of Gearslutz community, I have a right to cast my vote as well.

But I do understand where you are coming from. I too, during my long career as an engineer/musician thought that gear manufacturers were "swimming in cash" and I saw corporate greed behind any marketing attempt. I saw false claims behind Magazine ads (by the way they cost an arm and a leg). I thought I knew enough about gear to seek out my own stuff without it being pushed in my face. I was unaware how hypes and ingrained opinions (that especially pro audio community is full of) have crept upon me. I was thinking from inside a box as was unable to put myself into any (even boutique) manufacturer's shoes..

Now that I walk in those shoes, I never put down any other maker as I'm aware how painstaking it is to create a product, remove all the bugs, coordinate parts like electronics, chassis, artwork, packaging, and then offer it to the Audio community.
I'm free to state my subjective feedback about any piece of gear that I've tried, and I always emphasize that this is just my personal opinion like everyone else's.
It's like free press, if it exists. It's not just the right of the privileged few.

You will see other designers rightfully recommend their products; one of them is Geoff Tanner whose products I respect very much.

I'm a bit puzzled by the word "shamelessly". According to you, should actions be conducted with shame? To me that just has an aftertaste of the medieval inquisition... as if one actually benefits from it.

anyway, hope I've made myself clear and I apologize to anybody I might have, even unintentionally, offended.
Old 17th July 2013
Your post, on behalf of Sonic Farm, didn't bother me in the slightest, as a matter of fact, I'm glad you posted and reminded me that your preamp is tube!

It's on my list of tools to acquire. When I get through my Microphone acquisition spree.

Cheers!!
Old 17th July 2013
IM_
Gear Head

+1 for Lachapell 992. Big Warm and sounds very modern, not overly slow and awesome with digital recording
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Out of curiosity, I never see the adl600 mentioned. Like not for a very long time. Doesn't anyone use those?
I really like the ADL600 for ac. instruments, vocals, synth. It is relatively dark / thick and is great for taming high-end and adding some girth. It is a good combo for modern transformerless mics, like Neumannn TLM, but also sounds great with the vintage classics. It has impedance switch that is useful, and also you can get some tube saturation out of it by cranking up the trim to +10 and using the -20 dB pad. Also does clean sound / tube sheen very well, and adds a certain "big-ness." Can tweak further with NOS tube upgrades, and 12AT7s are pretty affordable. Kind of expensive new, but I see plenty of used units in the $1200 range. +1
Old 17th July 2013

Cool - thanks for the info.
Old 18th July 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztjangle View Post

You will see other designers rightfully recommend their products; one of them is Geoff Tanner whose products I respect very much.
This is spot on, if one is to chastise Z for throwing his hat in the ring, then there's no way Geoff T can be not criticized for the same, and this is no knock on GT. I've never had a problem with the manner that he brings his products up in conversations where they belong.To say what he added was "shameless" is shameless within itself Chill out

In this case, Z is in full right to have mentioned his preamp,as it's arguably one of the more unique mic amps in a market that's almost reached critical mass as far as saturation. I've had first hand experience with his preamp and have 2 good friends that have purchased them.One uses it as his sole,high end preamp, and the other has augmented his arsenal of extremely high end mic amps with several channels of Sonic Farms.

I for one would love to try his new Silkworm, seeing that I'm a 500 series based small room

Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

I also don't mind that ztjangle mentioned his own preamp. I like hearing about cool gear.
I do think, however, that it would be cool if people could post clips to recordings that were made using some of the preamps mentioned. It would be better to try them in person, but there's just too many!

BTW, Thermionic Earlybird 2.2! sry...
Old 21st July 2013
Sonic Farm is a real small boutique designer and builder of the most amazing stuff out there. They don't have huge amounts of money to purchase glossy ads in the trade mags. I don't see any harm in making the community aware of a cool new product via these pages. That's why I read posts from this site. I suppose I'm biased though. I know these guys. They're incredibly passionate about what they do, and they're not grandstanding here or trying to put anybody else down. The Silkworm 500 series is just really cool. I bought the first two that they made, and I can't say enough good stuff about them. They sound wonderful, and they're very versatile. In my opinion, they surpass units worth thousands more, but that's admittedly subjective! Boris has been talking about perhaps build a compressor next, and knowing wht they've done with the Creamer, 2DI4, and now the Silkworm, I think I'm going to first in line for a pair of those too. FYI, if you're in the Vancouver area, Boris is usually very happy to arrange a demo for you, even in your studio. Hard to find service like that these days!
Old 21st July 2013
Deleted User
oldish thread .. but some new posts

first one has to ask .what do I want out of a tube pre?

for me it is hard to describe .. but an AMPEX 601 or an Altec 1567a 'does it'
with big open relaxed and exciting sound
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Maniac

Ampex and 1567 big open and exciting ? These are two of the weaker American tube pres I've heard. 1567 is okay for "that" sound but kind of one dimensional...assuming you haven't tried an RCA or Collins?
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Ampex350 for bigger than life/old school tone. Love mine.
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

After tracking the third record with a v41b->retro 176->pultec eqp1s3 vocal chain im sold . This works on almost everything. For agressive rock vocals i might add a roundcan neve 1066 instead of a pultec to the tracking chain. Worked perfectly.
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Addict

Groove Tubes Vipre
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Someone really ought to buy this and do a bit of refurb (direct outs, phantom, pad, phase) - I have it's bigger brother and it's peerless in a big germanium sort of way:

RCA MIC Preamp Mixer Vintage 1960'S RCA BN 6B | eBay
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

I recently bought a pair of Psidex PGP-1A mic amps. They sound beautiful, particularly smooth in the high mid area and with bottom end that's better than anything else I've heard.
OLD WORLD AUDIO // PSIDEX PGP 1-A
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

The TAB-Funkenwerk V78M is as solid as a rock and it sounds huge.
Old 24th July 2013
Tubes, tubes and more tubes

After reading the tittle I think I understand what you are looking for. I have several tube preamps. Manley Slam, Tube Tech MP1A, Avalon 747, Manley VoxBox and now my favorite from the bunch the new Fink Audio CS2-FA. It's not pretty but it sounds great. At first I had my reservations but after reading about it and the credibility behind the man behind it, I decides to take a plunge and really glad I did. It has a UA/Urie pedigree but smoother and cleaner (hard to explain). It has a 610 style Pre that can be overdriven for added Saturation, Pultec Style EQ and an 1176 with Tubes on the output stage. Like I said its not sexy but it sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend a tube preamp that's not one of the usual suspects!-image.jpg  
Old 18th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup77 View Post
Next pre on my list :
Attachment 343271

Description:
"There is something very special in German audio engineering from the 50's. One thing that strikes me is the use of pentodes in the first stage of sensitive electronics. After analyzing the good and bad sides of the design and the price and quality of original Telefunken EF804S tubes, it was clear that this is the way to go. This Pre uses only two amplifier stages and the absolute minimum of other components. The performance is flawless.

Thanks to high step up ratio input transformer and the EF804S tube, self noise is very low, comparable to the best solid state amps. Gain is adjusted in 5 dB increments with Elma rotary swithes and -20 pad is automatically switched on for the lowest gain settings.

The sound is transparent with a hint of smoothness in the top end. I find it really interesting how the sound can be so... nice and accurate at the same time. Subtle differences are hard to describe, so probably it is just as informative to say that V804 Pre sounds right what ever you do.

V804 Pre is now available with optional DI inputs. They provide extremely low capacitance, only 15 pF (equivalent for one feet of the best cable you can get), to squeeze the last bits of treble juice from Hi-Z sources like guitars.

More interesting info in this :Attachment 343272... or here if you want no downloading.

Cheers.
Old thread, but got to second this. I sold my 2x V72's, I ain't selling my Knif V804 pre. (Or my Vari-Mu SN002 for that matter)
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Nut

Here's my review of the Sonic Farm 2di4 tube preamp/DI. Really nice for bass! And it works as a preamp into your amp/cab, too!

Sonic Farm 2di4 | Page 2 | TalkBass.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search