The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Atc scm11a Studio Amplifiers
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Atc scm11a

Heard this protype at swedish "LLB mässan". I liked it very much, though the noise in the hall was disturbing.
They stood next to the SCM 25, and I could easily switch between. The SCM11 a Pro did not need to be shamed in that company. I spoke to the designer, and they are still fine tuning/ testing them. (The have a new high frequency driver which is ATC' own). In production this summer probably.
Attached Images
Atc scm11a-imageuploadedbygearslutz1367216986.612417.jpg 
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Addict

Very intrigued and waiting for any news about it.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Yeah, and price will be nice...
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Yeah, and price will be nice...
There's a thread over in Musikmesse about them, estimated US price is about 4K List....$3600 sell. Hoping to have them in July.

Brad
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

Anyone heard these yet?

I am considering the passive scm20sl with hypex amplification. Will the active 11's be on the same level of quality?

Thanks.
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimar View Post
Anyone heard these yet?

I am considering the passive scm20sl with hypex amplification. Will the active 11's be on the same level of quality?

Thanks.
The passive ATC 20SL + hypex combo is very good (we are working ona hypex based amplifier ourselves), because the SL 6.5 inch woofer is an engineering tour de force: extremely low distortion and amazing midrange. The ATC P1 sounds better than the Hypex, but is about 3K. A used Bryston in good shape with a passive 20 is really good package too.

I do expect the pro 11 Active will be a significant alternative. Moving from a passive crossover to active crossover with built in amps has so many inherent advantages. To reinforce the point, the passive 20s with hypex compared to the cast metal active SCM20ASL is not a close comparison- you would choose the active every time.

That metal box 20 is now nearly gone ($7K), and a new PRO 20 Active in a wood box ($5500?) is in development for later 2013.

The pro 11A should be priced about US$4000 per pair sell.
Brad
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks Brad, that's useful info - and interesting about the new active 20 in a wooden box. Must say I prefer that look to the metal version

Would bi-amping the passive 20 take it closer to the performance of the active version in your opinion?
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimar View Post
Thanks Brad, that's useful info - and interesting about the new active 20 in a wooden box. Must say I prefer that look to the metal version

Would bi-amping the passive 20 take it closer to the performance of the active version in your opinion?
If you mean bi amping in the electronic crossover 2 amplifiers way, yes it would.

There is no phase adjustment on a passive crossover, plus decrease of dampening factor and loss of power, plus cable just adds to all that.

Brad
Old 26th July 2013
Here for the gear

Ok thanks.

Yes I mean bi amping with two amplifiers, although I am not sure about the electronic crossover. Is there a product you can recommend that has phase adjustment?
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

The phase adjustment has to be built into the crossover, so it is not practical to offer an off-the-shelf product to apply this to any unknown crossover.
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

I've heard the new 20 - stunning. The new tweeter is spectacular, although what was in the 20 beforehand (both previous units) was already amazing.
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I've heard the new 20 - stunning. The new tweeter is spectacular, although what was in the 20 beforehand (both previous units) was already amazing.
when you say the new 20, Alex - do you mean the forthcoming ATC active 20 in a wooden box?

Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, from what I saw (which was a prototype cabinet), think similar design to the SCM11A but slightly larger...
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Yes, from what I saw (which was a prototype cabinet), think similar design to the SCM11A but slightly larger...
with ATC the # signifies the cabinet volume, in L.... so the 20's would be almost double the size of the 11's.

Old 27th July 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, you would've thought, but in reality there isn't that much difference. Remember double the volume doesn't mean double the size in each dimension (obviously! :P), the 20 doesn't seem twice as big as the 11.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Maniac
thank you Lux for bringing this to our attention, I have long lusted after scm 25a's but fear they would be too bass heavy having to be positioned against a wall in my partially treated 7.5 x 3.2 metre room ( not to mention the price ) I can live without the bass extension of scm 25a but was really into them for the midrange drivers sense of reality - how did the scm11pro match up in the midrange ?, elsewhere on these forums;

ATC World Premier

guitarz noted in post #21
'I heard it at the Messe, big problem was that I compared it to the SCM25 :S
Not really fair the SCM25 are really in a completely different league sound wise.'

any idea of when the scm11a pro will be launched at retail
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

Try the SCM20 - people have said that the 25A is a massive step up over the 20, but I don't believe so (although maybe that's because I own 20s).

The SCM20 has a midrange driver based on the famous ATC mid-dome, and the active professional version is going to be revised soon I believe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search