The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProAc Studio 100
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

ProAc Studio 100

I have never worked with these speakers, but I am very interested in them. However I am looking for a speaker that is in no way considered bright and fatiguing. Where do the ProAcs come in as far as being bright or just neutral?
Old 11th September 2014
I know this is a really old thread, but since there is not a lot of info on these speakers out there like a lot of gear, thought I'd throw in a response.

By far this is one of the best studio monitors I have heard in this price range and prices keep going up even for used ones. I have paired mine with an Adcom 555 pro and MAN like one other person said out there, I'm a believer. These are the smoothest and to answer your question specifically NOT a fatiguing speaker at all. I can listen to them for hours without any fatigue. Great bass response, beautiful highs and not colored one bit. Flat just like monitors should be. I highly recommend the proac studio 100's to anyone looking for studio monitors in the $2000-3000 or even $4000 price range.
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Head

Has anybody else heard that ProAc recently discontinued the Studio 100's???
Old 12th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney View Post
Yep. Can only get used which is why prices have been going up for past few years. They only offer the Studio 115's. So happy with the 100's and wish they still offered them so other could enjoy and not have to dig for them used like I did.
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbmusic View Post
Yep. Can only get used which is why prices have been going up for past few years. They only offer the Studio 115's. So happy with the 100's and wish they still offered them so other could enjoy and not have to dig for them used like I did.
Weird. Vintage King was selling them till just a few days ago. Now they're not even on the website. Why would ProAc kill their (seemingly) most popular model?
Old 12th September 2014
Quote:
Weird. Vintage King was selling them till just a few days ago. Now they're not even on the website. Why would ProAc kill their (seemingly) most popular model?
Yep, though I saw them disappear a few weeks back. Maybe not. Anyway, these are available if you are looking to buy some in black. ProAc Studio 100Proac Studio 100 S100 Passive Studio Monitor Speakers Pair Set Black Ash | eBay
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbmusic View Post
Yep, though I saw them disappear a few weeks back. Maybe not. Anyway, these are available if you are looking to buy some in black. ProAc Studio 100Proac Studio 100 S100 Passive Studio Monitor Speakers Pair Set Black Ash | eBay
I actually have a pair that was damaged in shipping, so I called PrAc to see about some repairs and that's when the guy told me they don't make them any more. Still trying to determine if that means they won't fix them. . . . Cabinet on one got dinged up, grill cloth on the other was mangled and I'd just like them to bench test them to make sure the drivers are all working to spec.
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

I thought drivers were still available (at least a month or two ago they were).

I've found Studio 100s to be a little bright and rough at the top. No way on the same scale as say Genelecs, it's a different kind of brightness, but they definitely aren't flat up there IMO.

One of the better nearfields out there though IMO. I'd pick them over tonnes of other stuff.
Old 13th September 2014
Gear Addict

I added some ProAc Studio 100's (paired with a Jim Williams modded Adcom 555) a little over a year ago. I had been using a pair of ADAM S3A's with a Sub10 mkII for about 7 years. I still have the the ADAMS but have grown to lean on the ProAc's more. It's an entirely different sound between the two. Neither are that fatiguing in my opinion. At first I thought the ProAc's were boring to listen to in comparison to the S3A's...lacking some upper-mid information and overall detail. I found them just basically unflattering (not necessarily a bad thing in a studio monitor). It was hard to pin down what was missing between the S3A's and the Proacs. Over time I just learned that I had to jump in and trust the ProAcs if I was ever going to be able to fairly judge them. I soon found that if I started the mix on the ProAc's it almost always translated well to the S3A's. If I started the mix on the S3A's and moved over to the ProAc's they was usually something that didn't feel right. Outside of the studio, mixes done on the ProAc's translated better. There was something about the way I hear things, my control room and the ADAM S3A's + Sub10mkII that made me feel the need to fix things...especially in the mids. It's as if I was getting more detail than I needed. Kind of a "Too Much Information" sort of scenario. With the ProAc's I didn't seem to notice what the S3A's were telling me were flaws. So in the end, I reached the finish line quicker with the ProAcs. The only thing I miss in the ProAc's is the bottom sub octave that my ADAM sub informed me about. That could be easily remedied by moving the sub over to that chain....but I'm kind of hesitant to do that.

I recently did some tests of my control room using Fuzzmeasure software, a TC30k mic into a shadow hills preamp set to discrete (no output transformer). What the tests showed me was pretty much what my mix experience told me. The ProAcs were really flat (+/- 3db on average in my room) with only a few dips and then they start to dropoff around 50hz. The S3A's were a bit more all over the place. This could be a function of how these speakers behave in MY control room. My control room is well treated but not perfect just yet. I'm still trying to flatten out a ~90hz null. (Both sets of speakers showed this null during testing)

When I first got my ProAc's , I read about a "break-in" period. I ran them 24-7 for a couple days in hopes of getting through this. I have no idea how long it actually takes to break in a ProAc Studio 100 or if this is even a real phenomenon. However, about two weeks ago, something clicked and the high end just REALLY started to make more sense to me on the ProAcs. Mind you, this is over a year into fairly regular use of these monitors. And this was even before I started my fuzzmeasure tests mentioned above. In fact, the change was so noticeable that it prompted me to actually do the tests. Maybe it's all in my head...Maybe I'm nuts... I don't know.

Bottom line, I REALLY REALLY like my ProAc Studio 100's now.
Old 15th September 2014
I liked the ProAc Studio 100s at my studio enough that I bought a pair for home (and for traveling to other studios). Great speakers. Definitely on the bright side, but that works for me because I have a tendency to go overly bright in my mixes, so bright speakers help keep me in line. goof
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

The amps make a huge difference. When I first got mine they sounded bright but once I built my custom amp they sounded amazing. I love these speakers. Why on earth would they stop making them?
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reportedly they couldn't source a cabinet maker. Possibly discontinued or on long-term hold until they can source a vendor.
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

So what are the 115's and 118's? They look like the same speaker???
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

If you look hard enough there out there. Just got myself a pair of 100's brand new!! Spent a couple of hours sending emails asking retailers around the world. Turns out the pair I just bought were in Australia. Mental.

Last edited by Callison; 29th October 2014 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Wrote metal instead of mental
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Confirmed with their sales rep they have been discontinued. Great monitor!
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

yeah that's what they said to me. Will be no new ones till at least mid next year.
Old 29th October 2014
Love love love my Proacs. They were a little bright with my old Hafler amp, but smoothed right out when I got the Bryston. Clear, detailed and trustworthy. My mixes took a big jump when I switched to these from my S3A's. Bummed they are discontinued
Old 29th October 2014
SO SAD!!!
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

ProAc Studio One

Hi: Has anybody used the ProAc Studio One's? I was looking to get a pair of 100's and came across a used pair of ProAc Studio One's. They look like they have the same drivers but not offset like the 100's. They are of similar size too.
Attached Thumbnails
ProAc Studio 100-628691-proac_studio_1_mkii_book_shelf_speaker.jpg  
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

i don't understand why everybody's crying over the 100s? it was old and the 115s is the speaker that replaced it and it's probably a better speaker, an upgraded version.
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
i don't understand why everybody's crying over the 100s? it was old and the 115s is the speaker that replaced it and it's probably a better speaker, an upgraded version.
They are not making anything in the 100 series!!!
Old 30th October 2014
Here for the gear

The Studio 100 has been discontinued,
The Studio 1 was the predecessor to the Studio 100 and came in 2 versions, a metal dome tweeter and a soft dome tweeter. The metal dome tweeters are no longer available so avoid if looking at a used pair. The soft dome version is almost identical to the Studio 100 except for the offset tweeter and change on the crossover. The Studio 100 uses a 12db roll off on the bass section and the Studio 1 is a 6db other than that the drive units are identical

The Studio 110,115 and 118 are not Studio grade monitors, these are domestic models and use a 25mm voice coil where as the Studio 100 is a 38mm.

The 110 was the replacement for the Tablet 2000, the 115 replaced the 110 and changed to a polyprop bass driver and the new 118 i believe has gone back to paper

Hope this helps clear up any confusion
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonitors View Post
The Studio 100 has been discontinued, there will not be anymore.

The Studio 1 was the predecessor to the Studio 100 and came in 2 versions, a metal dome tweeter and a soft dome tweeter. The metal dome tweeters are no longer available so avoid if looking at a used pair. The soft dome version is almost identical to the Studio 100 except for the offset tweeter and change on the crossover. The Studio 100 uses a 12db roll off on the bass section and the Studio 1 is a 6db other than that the drive units are identical

The Studio 110,115 and 118 are nit Studio grade monitors, these are domestic models and use a 25mm voice coil where as the Studio 100 is a 38mm.

The 110 was the replacement for the Tablet 2000, the 115 replaced the 110 and changed to a polyprop bass driver and the new 118 i believe has gone back to paper

Hope this helps clear up any confusion

Graeme
Thank-you!! I love my Studio One mkII's.
Old 30th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Hi: Has anybody used the ProAc Studio One's? I was looking to get a pair of 100's and came across a used pair of ProAc Studio One's. They look like they have the same drivers but not offset like the 100's. They are of similar size too.
I'd like to know that as well.
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I'd like to know that as well.
I've got Studio One mkII's. I haven't A/B'd them against the 100's, but they definitely remind me of ProAc 100's. There my new nearfield's. I dig 'em!
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

PRO AC Response II SC

I've been using ProAc Response IISC as near fields for more then 15 years now.
Way before they were in vogue so to speak.
Although a bit smaller in size then the studio 100's ...They obviously don't go quite as low, but that being said, I believe, these are a bit more accurate then their larger brothers!

Wonderful monitors.
I have a few pairs....actually more then a few!
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

I would love for someone to try out a pair of ATC passive 20 Mk2s vs the Proacs 100s and report back. They are brand new. I asked ATC to build these for me specifically for mixing but they are more than the ProAc 100, which I liked and thought were a good price. I suppose it is a little crazy to introduce a new passive 2 way in a sealed box in a world of active monitors.
Brad
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

i have a love hate with these.

Currently powered by a bryston 4bsst.

also tried them with my yamahas p2200 and p 2201. nothing is rocking my world. I may try a different amp but i am not sure that these speakers are for me.

ej
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
i have a love hate with these.

Currently powered by a bryston 4bsst.

also tried them with my yamahas p2200 and p 2201. nothing is rocking my world. I may try a different amp but i am not sure that these speakers are for me.

ej
are you talking about the 100's

what don't you like about them?
Old 31st October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I thought drivers were still available (at least a month or two ago they were).

I've found Studio 100s to be a little bright and rough at the top.
Hello to all!
Someone told me, that Old studio 100 a bit smoother in high end than new...
New proacs a little bit bright and harsh in top end..

someone try to compare it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search