The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pheonix audio DRSQ4II now BAE DMP next? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Head

pheonix audio DRSQ4II now BAE DMP next?

I picked up a Phoenix Audio DRSQ4II a few months back and this thing works great! I finally see what people mean when they describe "a big vocal sound".
I haven't had the pleasure of using those pres that are modeled after that "Neve 1073" sound so I don't know if I already have something close enough with my phoenix audio pre or not?
Sometime this year I might purchase the BAE DMP or even the rack unit with the highpass filter by the same company..
I guess what I want to know, am I close already to that neve sound to not have to bother with getting a "neve pre clone"?
Old 4th April 2013
Gear Head

Anyone?^^^^
Old 4th April 2013
Jai guru deva om

The Phoenix isn't a Neve 1073 design, I find it to be somewhat more detailed and open, but still delivering size and sweet harmonic content. If you're into hearing differences in preamps, a 1073 would stand out nicely for sure.

War
Old 4th April 2013
Gear Head

thanks warren for your input.. i will do some more leg work and see which neve style pre i will purchase next. I've been doing some reading and it seems like the BAE DMP looks like a good contender.. I'm sort of running out of rack space so it would even be slightly better for me in that area.
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have both, and prefer the BAE 1073 to the DRS-2. Both are quality first class units, but deliver somewhat different tone profiles. The DRS is not a Neve clone by any means, but as you know it can deliver wonderful audio, and shares a similar weightiness.

-R
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

The Phoenix is a great pre in its own right.... as mentioned not a Neve clone by any means, but a color(and especially transient response) I prefer over any Neve style pre I´ve heard

.....but that´s highly subjective!

If I had a DRS-Q4 and wanted something to complement I would want to look into other territorries first to be honest.... try a Helios, a CAPI VP28 or maybe the new UTA MPEQ-1 for something a little different
Old 15th April 2013
Gear Head

thanks for the info guys..will be doing some more research.. there just seems soo much out there to choose from
Old 16th April 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlpd3147 View Post
thanks for the info guys..will be doing some more research.. there just seems soo much out there to choose from
Seems?

War
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Had both, the BAE sounded the worst out of every pre I've ever owned in the mid to low mid range, sounded goofy, like it was trying to have a vintage mid range push but in the cheesiest way possible. the sound isn't as glued together as DRS, and it can sound hard in the highs. Good overall pre for demos and DI, but felt limitations came trying to clone something they weren't successful at, and it took me a while to understand why I didn't like it after a while. I bought the DRS because it sounded like the old 1081 neve, especially the broadcast ones I was hearing at major studios. If you have a DRS and want to go to a bae, you'd be disappointed. If you want the 1073 thing go DPA instead but it tends to have a weird pinched closed sound in the high mid-range, imo not versatile at all. A pre amp is suppose to be one that you can plug and go instantly and get a rich satisfying tone immediately and if you don't like the sound, you swap out the mic... not the pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search