The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape to daw vs. daw to tape
Old 28th February 2015
^^^ Many times I've done something similar to that, but not exactly. After dumping to digital I sometimes compare the tape playback through the board vs Pro Tools playback summed ITB. I make a mix ITB that's similar to the mix on the board and listen for differences. The ITB version tends to sound a little worse - less 3D space, slightly thinner tone - I'd say it's about 5% diminished. This is with all Burl converters. Before, when I used Digi 192 I/Os the difference was more like 10%. Sample rate seems to have little effect on this, though I haven't compared the same transfer done at different sample rates.
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
^^^ Many times I've done something similar to that, but not exactly. After dumping to digital I sometimes compare the tape playback through the board vs Pro Tools playback summed ITB. I make a mix ITB that's similar to the mix on the board and listen for differences. The ITB version tends to sound a little worse - less 3D space, slightly thinner tone - I'd say it's about 5% diminished. This is with all Burl converters. Before, when I used Digi 192 I/Os the difference was more like 10%. Sample rate seems to have little effect on this, though I haven't compared the same transfer done at different sample rates.
Great , thanks for the reply , Do you think that if you had ported out the DAW mix to the board there difference would be even less ? Would the ITB mix be more of the issue ? I know my ITB vs OTB mix seems to have the 5 % difference , or change I should say . I am able to get the guitars up more and wider going OTB instead of ITB .
Old 28th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
, I am curious if any of you had done this test . You track to tape , then dump it to the DAW but then did a playback A/B of the DAW vs the session of the reel ?
both going through the same settings on your board .

Yes many times. You are only as good as your converters, and even the best multichannel A/D capture and DACs will sound different than the original.

Quote:
Just curious if it sounds identical.

Not sure how to quantify it, but it was never identical. Some converters more different than others.

Quote:
Also if you dumped into the DAW at a higher sample rate would keep the tape capture more accurate .
I've always been more than happy with 44.1khz, it felt more 'solid'.
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

Great ! thanks Nathan !
Old 28th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Great , thanks for the reply , Do you think that if you had ported out the DAW mix to the board there difference would be even less ? Would the ITB mix be more of the issue ? I know my ITB vs OTB mix seems to have the 5 % difference , or change I should say . I am able to get the guitars up more and wider going OTB instead of ITB .
Very possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search