The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairchild 670...Reborn!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Nut

please post files!
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

dying to hear some more real world results!!! users come forward!!!
Old 27th August 2014
Hi All,

For those that wanted to hear Pom's big comp in action here are 3 drum files to check out.
One is the "Pomchild" 670mk2 another is the UAD Fairchild emulation and the last is compression free.
Thanks to my friend Harvey at Broadoak studios for his original recording and his valuable time doing this as I am studio homeless at present .

I'll keep my thoughts to myself until you get to check them out….

Cheers
Paul
Attached Files

POMCHILD.wav (5.73 MB, 3295 views)

Old 27th August 2014
The UAD version.
Attached Files

UADCHILD.wav (5.73 MB, 3261 views)

Old 27th August 2014
And finally no compression.
Attached Files

NOCHILD.wav (5.73 MB, 3272 views)

Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

you can really hear the pomchild sound more "sweet" and "dripping with goo" on the tom fills
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by POM AUDIO DESIGN View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the tips.
I have been in contact with a few injection moulding company too, but the polishing part is too expensive, also 3D printing is **** for now, so...

I actually like to finish a FAIRCHILD project making the knobs, it's a journey of metal work, wiring, setting up that finishes nicely with the cherry on top : The knobs making… Why not?
I like to do everything myself...
I made new moulds last summer, they are very nice and shinny, like a new bakelite jobs, absolutely identical. I can still afford to spend a few hours making them at the end of each project for now, it's my therapy for now! AHahah!

Cheers!
Pom, I only discovered this thread now! I have to say it is truly refreshing to see somebody making a product with so much heart in it!
Obviously a true labor of love for you.

I have always had an interest in the 670 even though I have never had the pleasure of using one.
I think I've heard enough of them on records to know what they do, though.

In fact I started the [Stuck in the Middle With You] thread asking if it was a 670 on Gerry Rafferty's vocal track.

I always thought limiting was where it's at, compression is for sissies..
Of course it all depends on the sound of the limiter and the 670 was as good as it gets, no?

That said, there are a small number of things on my (must have) list once my ship comes in and your 670 remake has made my list!
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
And finally no compression.
The 670 mk2 just makes it come alive. No compression is good, but not lively. The UAD just kills the vibe, dead.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
The 670 mk2 just makes it come alive. No compression is good, but not lively. The UAD just kills the vibe, dead.
I agree, not much of a contest there.
Old 28th August 2014
Did you use the UAD Fairchild I or II?
Old 28th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Did you use the UAD Fairchild I or II?
II with the same settings as the Pomchild.
Old 28th August 2014
Here's a photo of the settings. There was about 7db of compression happening.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairchild 670...Reborn!!-pomchild.jpg  
Old 28th August 2014
Quote:
You most likely have to use different settings for the plug in to get a better results. With the hp filter and mix knob, this Fairchild plug in is very flexible.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

I love plugins, but sometimes you've just got to admit defeat. ;-D haha.
Old 28th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
You most likely have to use different settings for the plug in to get a better results. With the hp filter and mix knob, this Fairchild plug in is very flexible.
No it just sounds ****e by comparison.
Old 28th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I love plugins, but sometimes you've just got to admit defeat. ;-D haha.
I think everyone will agree the hardware sounds better; my point was that you can't use the same settings in shoot outs with different tools even if it is claimed to be model of hardware.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Whats the wait time on these?
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
Whats the wait time on these?
It would be best to contact Pom as it depends on the other orders but I think mine was about 6 weeks if I remember correctly.
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I think everyone will agree the hardware sounds better; my point was that you can't use the same settings in shoot outs with different tools even if it is claimed to be model of hardware.
Mix at 0% then? ;-) Really there was no way any variation would have matched the airy height and depth of the Pomchild.
Old 27th November 2015
Here for the gear

Hello

How many tubes does this have?
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:

The POM clip just sounds louder to me.
Old 29th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
The POM clip just sounds louder to me.
That's the good thing about good compressors.

Did you check the levels in your DAW?
Old 29th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkizit View Post
Hello

How many tubes does this have?
Read back a page or 2 for POM's description of construction.
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
That's the good thing about good compressors.

Did you check the levels in your DAW?
I did just now, and confirms pretty much what I heard. UAD on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairchild 670...Reborn!!-stats.png  
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

Well, to be honest, the version with no compression sounds the best.. The drums sound great.
Old 29th November 2015
Quote:
I did just now, and confirms pretty much what I heard. UAD on the right.
Congratulations. Thanks for the data. I shall hang my head in small increments of shame.
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Congratulations. Thanks for the data. I shall hang my head in small increments of shame.

No worries man. Just saying those rms differences (1 db+) are enough alone to make one sound better and "more lively". I imagine the UAD Fairchild could be matched closer by ear with a bit more compression and make up gain.

The hardware clone looks awesome though!
Old 29th November 2015
Quote:
No worries man. Just saying those rms differences (1 db+) are enough alone to make one sound better and "more lively". I imagine the UAD Fairchild could be matched closer by ear with a bit more compression and make up gain.

The hardware clone looks awesome though!

I'm getting different readings in Pro Tools BTW but with the make up gain adjusted accordingly the POMchild still sounds much bigger on my PMCs.

I've since invested heavily in UAD and I think they're a great sounding solution but sometimes we gotta get rid of the great to make way for excellence....
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm getting different readings in Pro Tools BTW but with the make up gain adjusted accordingly the POMchild still sounds much bigger on my PMCs.

I've since invested heavily in UAD and I think they're a great sounding solution but sometimes we gotta get rid of the great to make way for excellence....
It's not just make up gain, the POM is compressing more judging by the rms ranges and going by ear. Not saying the hardware isn't better; I am sure it is.

Anyway, the UAD 670 and 660 are some of my favorite compressors and I know I would love the real hardware too and only real wish I could justify the cost of even the clone.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search