The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shadow Hills Mastering Comp on mix bus: Tone?
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Red 3 for mids followed by the shadow for lows and highs
Does the SHMC soften the mids?
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Not at all! If you use the steel mode it pushes the mids forward...
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

Does anybody use it in conjunction with the Equinox?

I wonder if the extra transfo would be too much.
I think I'll try to rent one and hear for myself.
Old 5th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
In the right hands the SH and Retro will give you a some weight and character without losing width /clarity and size.
I haven't found anything I prefer over the SH yet. It just works for me.
The iron mode alone will add some beef and thickness to the low's and low mids.
The Retro tube amp stage has a beauty to it but can be too much for some things,hence don't lose the GML.it would be nice to have both.
I don't actually eq the mix buss much anymore but for adding color/vibe that's a seriously potent combo.
my mix bus is a shmc and a retro 2a3! since i got them together my mix buss has really come to life - the 2a3 has a lot of character, and you can get very creative with the shmc... to me its the ultimate combo
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Nobody uses the shmc with the equinox? VK has a sale going on
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

I posted this in another thread but here it is again, I'm curious to hear your opinions:

I just bought the SHMC to use after my equinox.
Right now I'm not blown away but that might change with more time using it.

I did a lot of A/B test and matched the rms level every time to have a fair comparison.

At first it always sounds pretty cool but after when I match the levels perfectly with the non compressed mix I feel like there's not much difference at all, it's very subtle IMO.
A lot more subtle than the difference I hear when I sum through my equinox vs in the box.

Also, on some material it seems to make the low end a bit muddy (makes the low end not as clear and deep, a bit too much low mid) and shave a bit too much transient on top.

I would prefer it if it would add separation and depth and not take it away.
Also on vocals it seems but more than 3-4 db reduction is too much, which isn't always enough.

Anybody using the shmc care to give me some tips?
I want to give that comp a good chance before I decide to keep or return it.
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I posted this in another thread but here it is again, I'm curious to hear your opinions:

I just bought the SHMC to use after my equinox.
Right now I'm not blown away but that might change with more time using it.

I did a lot of A/B test and matched the rms level every time to have a fair comparison.

At first it always sounds pretty cool but after when I match the levels perfectly with the non compressed mix I feel like there's not much difference at all, it's very subtle IMO.
A lot more subtle than the difference I hear when I sum through my equinox vs in the box.

Also, on some material it seems to make the low end a bit muddy (makes the low end not as clear and deep, a bit too much low mid) and shave a bit too much transient on top.

I would prefer it if it would add separation and depth and not take it away.
Also on vocals it seems but more than 3-4 db reduction is too much, which isn't always enough.

Anybody using the shmc care to give me some tips?
I want to give that comp a good chance before I decide to keep or return it.
You have to mix through it and adjust your mix around the box
also very little goes a long way on the SHMC
The xformers do make a difference and the opt will shave off some top
one thing the box shouldn't do is shrink the mix it really shines in the width/depth dept.
slow attacks fast release low ratio
meter should move -1or 2db on the mix vca side
stay away from the opt till you know the vca
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Guru

For stereo mixes are you using the iron tranny and opto section w the vca section?
The iron tranny will thicken the low mids and opto section slows transients a bit.
Try nickel or steel w opto off or barely moving meters using the vca section to do the heavy lifting..
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely try that.

As for the width / depth, it doesn't really shrink it but it didn't seem to enhance it either. At first it seemed to, but once the level matched to the non compressed mix, there was no easily audible difference.
Actually for some people this might be a great feature/quality but for me I'd rather have a box that enhances (to my ear) everything that goes through it right away.

The testing continues.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

matskull,

I like the steel on the Equinox in conjunction with the nickel on the MC. Often I'll use the MC with the Equinox just for the transformers & big VU meters with no compression. For a while I was running this into a HEDD. I eventually added an API 550M in between the Equinox & MC when I started getting into the iron on the MC, and finally added a Curve Bender for the transformers and to trim the signal before going into a UTA Unfairchild. These days my 2-buss is pretty much exclusively ITB with the Equinox directly feeding an Antelope Eclipse. I've experimented a lot with the transformers on the SH stuff and they are incredibly useful! And I don't really think 2 or more transformers in the signal path is necessarily too much. Enjoy those boxes!!!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superama View Post
matskull,

I like the steel on the Equinox in conjunction with the nickel on the MC. Often I'll use the MC with the Equinox just for the transformers & big VU meters with no compression. For a while I was running this into a HEDD. I eventually added an API 550M in between the Equinox & MC when I started getting into the iron on the MC, and finally added a Curve Bender for the transformers and to trim the signal before going into a UTA Unfairchild. These days my 2-buss is pretty much exclusively ITB with the Equinox directly feeding an Antelope Eclipse. I've experimented a lot with the transformers on the SH stuff and they are incredibly useful! And I don't really think 2 or more transformers in the signal path is necessarily too much. Enjoy those boxes!!!
I ended up keeping it, it's great.
I understood it's sound once I mixed in it.
The steel nickel combo with the Equinox is also what I like most up to now, it sounds really 3D and detailed.
It seems to make the mix deeper, lower, higher and larger if you know what I mean.

Pretty happy I decided to keep it.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have noticed a strange behaviour with my SHMC, I doubt this is normal, I am corresponding with Marshall about it but I'd like to know how yours react in the meantime, just to make sure. The one I had borrowed didn't seem to do this.

On the optical section, if I compress material with fast transients like drums for example, if I set it to compress around 3dB on the kick drum the right side seems to compress more than the left side (and it distorts too at some point).

I tested this using a mono kick drum track, sent to a stereo aux with the SHMC inserted on it, in stereo mode. Dual mono with same setting on both channel has the same issue.

The problem is not as apparent with softer / slower material but on drums I get a 1.4dB difference between left and right, that's unusable… it makes to while kit (even if it's a mono source) pull to the left.
Discrete section doesn't do that at all.

How do yours hold up on drums?
As I said I haven't notices this with the one I borrowed before I got mine, just want to double check with owners of the SHMC.
thanks
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Weird
Never had that problem.
I just got my revamped serial #02 SHMC back from Peter.
My unit was getting a bit tired.. Crackling op amps ,meters getting funky.
( First versions were basically hand built prototypes.)
Kept some of the old parts though..Turns out my unit already had the all discrete class A vca 's. Nice.
It's like having a brand new comp again .for some reason I'm now loving the steel mode the most.really neat midrange and upper mid sparkle.
sounds great!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ive tried to contact peter a dozen time about upgrading my unit to class A specs which i thought it was when i bought it (#200ish). The least responsive audio company ive ever dealt with. No reply to date. For shadow this meant a loss of sale of at least 8 of their products. But hey not my business.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Weird
Never had that problem.
I just got my revamped serial #02 SHMC back from Peter.
My unit was getting a bit tired.. Crackling op amps ,meters getting funky.
( First versions were basically hand built prototypes.)
Kept some of the old parts though..Turns out my unit already had the all discrete class A vca 's. Nice.
It's like having a brand new comp again .for some reason I'm now loving the steel mode the most.really neat midrange and upper mid sparkle.
sounds great!
That's what I thought.
Marshall and I agrees that I should send it in for repair.
Thanks!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ive tried to contact peter a dozen time about upgrading my unit to class A specs which i thought it was when i bought it (#200ish). The least responsive audio company ive ever dealt with. No reply to date. For shadow this meant a loss of sale of at least 8 of their products. But hey not my business.
When I wrote Marshall I got a reply within 24 hours.
Try him instead of Peter maybe?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
When I wrote Marshall I got a reply within 24 hours.
Try him instead of Peter maybe?
Yes. Deal with Marshall. My communication with Peter was spotty after a lengthy phone call about my SH console. But Marshall was nearly immediate with his replies and super detailed in response to my questions.

My unit was back in my studio within 2 weeks when I sent it in.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Strange. I've had nothing but stellar service from them.
Did you email or call direct?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search