The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1974 Polygram console
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Maniac

1974 Polygram console

I just saw this listed at Funky Junk France, does anybody know this particular console? Any first-hand experience? Ou sont les géarslutz francaises..??

Funky Junk France - Polygram 1974
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

I don´t know this particular desk but a friend owns anotherone of these. There were very few made, IIRC only 3. If you desperately need infos about this desk then drop me a pm. I can link you up with the owner.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Addict

Présent ! Comme Jens y dit. La personne dont il parle est technicien il saura te décourager :p
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

Les gearslutz francais sont la!
This console is Philips made and I had the pleasure to try some Philips modules with good results. The xformer on this console seems to be the one used on the EL3660 mic pre, which is a good mic pre but really not on par with Neve or similar quality... The eq section looks like they used the EL3675 eq design (from previous custom console modules I used) but smaller.
This console should sound good but I think I would really prefer buy a Studer or Siemens console instead for the price. It should be expensive because rarity??
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

...but looks impressive for sure... very 70ties...!
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

They have had that console advertised for more than five years. I don't adjudge it to be special. For the day, it was a good console, but much better analog tools are available today.

I do a disregard on that console.
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Nut

Hi KidBill!
Nice console!
I dont think it is the same as in 3660 though. That one is transformerless on the input if not modded. (at least what info i have collected)
Best regards
Hans
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Hmm I'm near certain I saw some el3660 with xformer inside looking very very similar to this one.
The problem with previous Philips consoles is they had A LOT of electrolytic capacitors inside!
There's so much less caps in this polygram console!
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Nut

Yeah, your right about the caps, but somehow i dont think its that bad, i mean, it probably bad in service technicians point of view. I'm just really happy for them and hoping they still work..thumb.. I reason they must be there for a reason..
Best regards
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
Les gearslutz francais sont la!
This console is Philips made
old post, but I have to clarify: after working on such a console at the Emil Berliner Studios, I can state that the Polygram consoles where not designed and made by Philips. Polygram / Deutsche Grammophon had an own tech department wich was lead by Peter Burkowitz. There was a relation to Philips, but the the Polygram consoles (also Polydor, Deutsche Grammophon) are not the same as the Philips broadcast consoles. Some modules used Philips transformers, some have Studer transformers inside (same as 089) and I've seen modules with dbx202 vcas. These are really nice well designed and absolutely great and sweet sounding recording consoles. A lot of great classical recordings (Bernsteins West Side Story, nearly all of the Karajan recordings in the 70s etc..) have been made on these consoles.
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the details and history!
I had Philips/Deutche Grammophon modules and they looked pretty much the same like this console.
What was the relationship between Philips and Polygram about consoles etc?
Old 13th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I own the predecessor to the console that was sold at funky junk. Most of the plans of my console have a Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft Logo printed on them, some drawings are dating back to 1967, have the DGG Logo on them too, but also a Philips address in Baarn, Netherlands. So my guess is that until they merged, DGG specced out the consoles Philips built for them. The EQ modules in my console are Philips designs according to the docs, their drawings have no DGG logo, but the Transistors are stamped with DGG. I guess that Philips Phonographische Industrie and Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft worked together on designing and building equipment until they merged in 1971 and formed Polygram. At least that is what I remember having read in Peter Burkowitz's book 'The World of Sound'.

These consoles are very underestimated IMO. I have never seen a console of this build quality. It seems that cost was not a factor when these were made. And don't get me started on the sound... :-) There were very few made and they were only sold to Polygram and Deutsche Grammophon studios, so very few engineers were ever exposed to these consoles. That is probably why people are quick to 'do a disregard' on them. But where money was no object in designing, stuff usually turns out very neat...

In this thread there are some pics of my console:
Custom built mixing console
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Maniac

as there have been a lot of companies related to the DGG, Polygram, Polydor etc, this chronicle from the Emil Berliner Studios is very interesting:

EMIL BERLINER STUDIOS | About us | Chronicle

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search