The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High-end "psycho-acoustic" processors?
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

High-end "psycho-acoustic" processors?

Don't beat me, but recently I have tried out a Behringer Exciter.

Overall, the unit sounded horribly harsh and not "high-endish" at all. But I must admit I quite liked the "Bass Processor" portion of it, which acts like some kind of a sustainer / frequency selective compressor / subharmonic processor.

I could very well imagine myself using such a processor on some drum loops and thin bass drums during mixdown.

But now my question: Given that the overall signal quality of the Behringer is pretty poor – are there any tools of higher quality which do a similar thing, just better sounding? Maybe some vintage DBX units?

I'm looking forward to any suggestions!
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

The DBX 120A is such a unit, but i never used it so i can't tell if it's any good... DBX make good stuff altough (except maybe the cheapest compressor models)
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Take a look at Elysia Nvelope.

In dual band mode you can adjust the end frequency for sustain processing and the start frequency for attack processing.

It is definitely a high end unit!!!

Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, the DBX 120 is the standard for low end.

For width, the Hughes SRS is very cool.

For highs, the Aphex Aural Exciter has been popular for years. I don't like it much. I prefer to put some distortion on a return and send signal to it for effect.
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear
I picked up an Orban 290RX earlier this year at auction and its truly, truly stunning adding high mids and air band stuff.

Highly recommended.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

It's easy to go overboard with an exciter. The thing with an exciter is knowing what you are trying to do with it. Are you trying to make a sound brighter or add air? The answer to the question will tell you how to tune it.

The way I use an exciter is to crank up the drive so that I can hear what frequencies it is working off and then when I've found the right frequency I pull the drive waaaay back and add it in carefully.

As I'm usually compensating for missing air I tune to the highest frequencies in the signal and I do a lot of A/B comparison as it requires some delicacy. If you're looking for brightness you need the exciter to be working further down the frequency range.
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

We picked up the 500 series aphex exciter with big bottom. You can switch them independently. I don't use the exciter much as I find it creates a lot phasey crap which is clearly its design, but the big bottom is useful.

We also have the moog ladder which has filters and variable resonance. It's great when you are looking to tune a drum for instance. And we too have the Nvelope which is basically a transient designer, filter, and EQ all in one. It's a very smart piece of solid state engineering.
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Guys, thanks for all the replies so far!

The Elysia Nvelope is an interesting suggestion. I have had it in my studio already, but it never occurred to me that I might be able to use it for this application. Will have to try it again!

But please read my original post carefully! I am WELL aware that an exciter can be a "dangerous" thing, and at this time I am NOT looking for something to distort high frequencies. I have my Culture Vulture, my Studer and heaps of other tools for that task...

I ONLY look for something to make the bass fuller and fatter. Kind of like Waves RenBass in hardware, but better sounding...
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

SCNR... 1176 is my magic number...

Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

maybe also LittleLabs VOG is interesting... haven't heard it.
Little Labs
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear
The exciter section of ozone is terrific.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I find the exiter in ozone to be rather un-useful. It sounds chattery and a little goes way too far. It's great for hearing how a mix can come forward but it is gritty and smears the image a lot. i often turn it on to get the idea on where i want to move with the mix and then turn it off and work at balancing better or shaping what i want to hear by eq-ing.

z
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru

SPL Vitalizer

it's about $1000 but it really does something nice

hey, you said "High End"!
(there is a plug-in version, I have never used it, so don't know if it matches up)

one thing to understand in general is that the term "PsychoAcoustic processor" is a catch-all to describe a number of different devices - many of which operate on completely different principles. Even similar ones employ different "recipes" for the sound.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
SPL Vitalizer

hey, you said "High End"!
(there is a plug-in version, I have never used it, so don't know if it matches up)

one thing to understand in general is that the term "PsychoAcoustic processor" is a catch-all to describe a number of different devices - many of which operate on completely different principles. Even similar ones employ different "recipes" for the sound.
Yes, the vitializer covers the his and lows. A stereo image spreader too. I love mine!
Old 12th March 2014
Vog user here. Simple unit. Works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
maybe also LittleLabs VOG is interesting... haven't heard it.
Little Labs
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

+ 1 for Vitalizer. But I suggest its superior version Modell 9530.

Produktbeschreibung: Sound Performance Lab
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

The Old DBX 120 units are awesome for adding a sub octave to elements of the mix. Especially drum subgroups!

We have several other units that are sometimes just what a mix needs when used sparingly.

Hit Designs Dynamic VCA Equalizer
SPL Vitalizer SX II
Dolby Model 740 Spectral Processor
Linear Design Labs Dynamic Normalizer
Omnisonics 801 Imager

z
Old 2nd December 2018
Pulling out this old thread to check if someone knows about AudioLogic Psycho Acoustic Processor PA88.

I doubt it's high end, however I find zero info on the net. How does it work, is it any good?
Old 3rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
SPL Vitalizer

have to agree on that.

i have the MK2 tube Spl Vitaliser.

i got into it after i noticed the mastering engineer at 301 was always playing with it during his work, in the 90s.

so i got the importer to bring down all the SPLs that were available back then, and done some A/B and the MK2 tube was the one i liked best.

the solid state MK1 was ok too, but the MK2 tube was better.

i still use it in my FAKE mastering chain. bottom unit in the shot

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
High-end "psycho-acoustic" processors?-hi-voltage-ssl-bus.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! View Post
Linear Design Labs Dynamic Normalizer
Any chance of seeing it's insides or any additional information? Was pointed to it on FB, but can't seem to find anything on it in the wild..?

Jakob E.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Any chance of seeing it's insides or any additional information? Was pointed to it on FB, but can't seem to find anything on it in the wild..?

Jakob E.
yeah it looks like bose sued them out of existence in the 70's.
i've only seen one other of these. the inside is pretty weird.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You asked about high end. Here are some units that I have used over the years.

Vertigo VSM2 Mix Satellite.
Bedini BASE
SPL VITALIZER I think it was the 9630. Replaced the tubes with NOS Telefunken tubes.

Have owned and sold most APHEX and BBE units.

Maybe you should try working with sum and difference? nVelope, eq, compression, iVog. Amazing things can be done. Good luck
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search