The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz SOC-20... Anyone using it on the mix bus?
Old 12th March 2013
Buzz SOC-20... Anyone using it on the mix bus?

Considering giving this beauty a shot for the 2-bus and occasional vocal/bass/guitar overdubs and OTB processing. I do mostly mixing: indie rock/pop, some punk/harder stuff and reggae. All local bands/artists. I do get some mastering work for artists on a tight budget as well. The SOC would be my only hardware compressor for now. I love the new UAD comps, Softube CL1B, Duende, and Pro-C for individual tracks but still cannot find superb glue and bloom/openness and bigness/depth in software form. It's quite frustrating since I love to mix into compression. I love the IK T-Racks 670 just tickling on some stuff but it doesn't work all the time; and I'm now stemming out into a Folcrom/Levr and/or Chandler Little Devil setup, and capturing to a Tascam DV-RA1000HD.

(Btw, for those who ever wondered, the Little Devils are incredible sounding on the back of the Folcrom.)

-derek
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm also curious. I get mine tomorrow. Wondering if now a year later anyone is using it for bus
Old 17th July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Also interested!
Old 17th July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

I'll add to that - I've tried the Essence and loved it. The SOC1.1 was also amazing and big sounding, the SOC-20 looks like the best of both with M/S.

I think it has to be in the same league as the Pendulum OCL-2 but perhaps thicker and if anyone has one and uses it for both mix/mastering I'd be interested in some thoughts too!

-T
Old 17th July 2014
Here for the gear

The SOC 2.0 is fabulous! Just got one.
No pumping and the lundhal transformer is gorgeous. great for tracking and mix buss,
Can't recommend this product enough.
Very well made.
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
I'm also curious. I get mine tomorrow. Wondering if now a year later anyone is using it for bus
I have the SOC 1.1 and heard SOC20 on Youtube. Mannn, the colour of the SOC20 is killer!

Try something like a 2:1 Ratio, slow attack, 100ms release or Auto release with a 0.5-1dB gain reduction. It's beautiful! I also use it with both channels unlinked.

I can only speak for the SOC 1.1, which is transformer less. When inserting on the mix bus, there is a sense of widening on the mix and the mix feels more 3D. And it also adds a nice sheen to the mix.

What are your findings about SOC20? Please share with us.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

When I get it tomorrow my plan is.

-Track vocals through my kenetek blue stripe 1176, followed by the SOC.
-The Bass probably the same, if not the SOC left channel followed by the right channel, for an opto serial compression.
-Will use it for bus once I start mixing probably (depends on how it works, as this is my first hardware bus compressor. All my other compressors are single channel)

This is why I am still curious. I wonder what others who have tried other compressors meant primarily for the bus think.
Old 18th July 2014
It's not meant for the bus specifically, it just happens to excel there. Vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, synths, drum overheads, kicks, snare, piano, all good. If you've heard the Essence then you've essentially heard the SOC20. The SOC1.1 reacts the same way, but the SOC 20 is far less of a 'straightwire' type of sound. The SOC20 has a nice balance between color and detail; it's got a certain of amount of coloration, but not so much that it smears the signal. What goes in comes out the other side sounding bigger and a bit softer than reality.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

OMG recorded some basss and vocals with this thing today.

Its great for bass, but what it does to vocals when paired with my 1176 is OMG. Amazing. Im using the 1176 for like the peaks and this for like most of the compression. Sounds chunky and transparent as hell all at once
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

A friend who I trust taste wise and has a large selection of top line comps (LA2A, 1176, Neve, SSL etc ) said the 2.0 is one of his definite favorites.
Old 5th October 2014
Lives for gear

Anymore opinions?
Old 25th August 2018
Gear Maniac
SOC-20, no doubts at all.. that compressor is Wonderfull! Easy , rich, MS, color, musical....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search