The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073MP Dual Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Maniac
BAE 1073MP Dual

Do you guys have any experience with the BAE 1073MP Dual preamplifer?
Is there any other clones out there you will consider better.

What do you guys like best on, 1073 or 1083?
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

I am owner of the bea 1073, and im very happy with it.
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Maniac

I own a BAE 1073mpf, and a 1023. Before I got the 1023 I did some shopping around and listened to Vintech, and the real thing. Obviously it sounded different than both, but had a better low end than both (elec bass-cab-re20).

Don't cheap out on the filters, they become necessary on things like ribbons, I would have no faith in my final result if I couldn't HighPass stuff like coles 4038s .

Do the other models have impedance switches? Also super important for 300 ohm ribbon mics.
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Maniac

I have a dual and I use it for drum overheads. Recently I am contemplating getting another one for kick and snare. Sounds great to me!
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Maniac
have you guys ever compared it to the AMS NEVE 1073 DPA dual pre?
And what's the difference between the BAE 1073MP Dual and the BAE 1073MPF Dual?
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Maniac
The difference between the two you mentioned is the mp(f) stands for 'filter'. So each preamp has a high-pass filter included on it. Some guys here seem to swear by it. I personally went with the 1073MP (dual) due to the added cost of the filters, and my preference for eq'ing after tracking.

I personally love this preamp and don't imagine I will ever sell it. It can be fairly clean or driven hard and sounds awesome both ways. Additionally I use it as sort of a stereo summing unit by running it on my master bus as it really adds something special when used in this way!
Old 24th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Silva View Post
Don't cheap out on the filters, they become necessary on things like ribbons, I would have no faith in my final result if I couldn't HighPass stuff like coles 4038s .

Do the other models have impedance switches? Also super important for 300 ohm ribbon mics.
Exactly right! The filter makes the pre SO much more useful. I had the dual MP, went to the dual MPF and now just switched to the full BAE 1073. I just listed my dual 1073 MPF w PSU in the classifieds and its in excellent condition. Maybe six months old. It sounds amazing.
Old 24th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokaasen View Post
have you guys ever compared it to the AMS NEVE 1073 DPA dual pre?
And what's the difference between the BAE 1073MP Dual and the BAE 1073MPF Dual?
Try to get the AMS in your studio so you can compare it with the BAE and decide which one you want to keep. The AMS is much better.
Old 24th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Try to get the AMS in your studio so you can compare it with the BAE and decide which one you want to keep. The AMS is much better.
Brighter, yes. Better, not really.
Old 24th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
It's only brighter because the lows/low mids aren't hyped. The AMS lows are full, coherent, and take EQ well. The BAE lows are hyped, smeary, and somewhat unmusical (though you can still make good music with it of course.)
Old 24th March 2013
Quote:
The BAE lows are hyped, smeary, and somewhat unmusical (though you can still make good music with it of course.)
"one man's trash is another man's treasure" ...

an overstatement, but it's all so subjective and dependent on source material and end goal.

you prefer AMS, I prefer BAE... we both make music that makes us happy.
Old 24th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
"one man's trash is another man's treasure" ...

an overstatement, but it's all so subjective and dependent on source material and end goal.

you prefer AMS, I prefer BAE... we both make music that makes us happy.
true, you have to overstate a little to point out the difference. the BAE sound might work for a certain kind of kick or bass sound. i sure wouldn't put vocals through it, though.
Old 24th March 2013
Quote:
true, you have to overstate a little to point out the difference. the BAE sound might work for a certain kind of kick or bass sound. i sure wouldn't put vocals through it, though.
wow! LOL!! that's just plain silly.
Old 24th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
i mean, if you have better choices. if it's your only high end pre, then hell yeah, it'll sound great on everything!
Old 24th March 2013
Quote:
i mean, if you have better choices. if it's your only high end pre, then hell yeah, it'll sound great on everything!
Well, it's not my only high end pre and still a good choice. But, hey.. to each his own. Not gonna argue with ya on it any longer. There are pages upon pages of threads on GS with guys shooting the AMS, BAE, etc and most of the respected guys agree it's splitting hairs. I'd agree... one is not MUCH better than the other.
If you feel differently, cool... you'll just enjoy your AMS that MUCH more!! heh
Take care.
Old 24th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Well, it's not my only high end pre and still a good choice. But, hey.. to each his own. Not gonna argue with ya on it any longer. There are pages upon pages of threads on GS with guys shooting the AMS, BAE, etc and most of the respected guys agree it's splitting hairs. I'd agree... one is not MUCH better than the other.
If you feel differently, cool... you'll just enjoy your AMS that MUCH more!! heh
Take care.
both very usable, yes. splitting hairs, no. you don't hear that artificial-sounding low-mid resonance on BAE 1073 vocals? hey, to each his own, as you say.
Old 24th March 2013
Gear Head

I have one and use it on a daily basis....I use it on every project I work on....it's a 1073 replica (That is probably more faithful to the original neve design then AMS is)....it sounds amazing on vocals. can't go wrong.
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
... The BAE lows are hyped, smeary, and somewhat unmusical (though you can still make good music with it of course.)
I take exception with your comments. Considering we hear countless recordings on the radio recorded with BAE preamps, your statement has holes all over the place. I will not even mention the fact that music is made with a voice or instrument, but that's about as subjective as your statement these days.

BOTH preamps will offer outstanding results. Your microphone placement will produce more differences than those described in this thread. Go for the one that provides the features you need and forget the subjective nonsense.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 25th March 2013
Quote:
if it's your only high end pre,
Quote:
you don't hear that artificial-sounding low-mid resonance on BAE 1073 vocals? hey, to each his own, as you say.
i wonder if u were you that guy in school who liked to stick your finger in other kid's chest, just to get a reaction.

Old 25th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceaddict View Post
Considering we hear countless recordings on the radio recorded with BAE preamps
True. Countless artificial-sounding recordings that aren't connecting well with the public and aren't selling well. Vocals through a BAE 1073 are one small contributing factor to that.
Old 25th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
i wonder if u were you that guy in school who liked to stick your finger in other kid's chest, just to get a reaction.
not at all. i've repeatedly said "hey, you can still make good music with it", etc. it's funny how when someone speaks a little bit of truth about a product, the people who own it get so freaking personally sensitive. so people would rather not bother and just let you guys think it's perfect. that might be a large reason why the BAE 1073 has a reputation on GS as on the same quality level with AMS Neve (if your claim about that is true...I don't know.)
Old 25th March 2013
It's not your opinion (what u call truth) that I was calling out. It's the provoking way you do it.
Old 25th March 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
It's not your opinion (what u call truth) that I was calling out. It's the provoking way you do it.
oh please. i repeatedly said it you can make good music with it. you want me to come over there and hold your hand and stroke your hair while i do an EQ peak sweep on a BAE 1073 vocal and point out the ugly resonance?
Old 25th March 2013
Quote:
There's nothing overly bright about the AMS-Neve 1073 series. Very evenly balanced.
Old 25th March 2013
Quote:
Quote:
oh please. i repeatedly said it you can make good music with it. you want me to come over there and hold your hand and stroke your hair while i do an EQ peak sweep on a BAE 1073 vocal and point out the ugly resonance?
exactly my point. troll.
Old 25th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
There's nothing overly bright about the AMS-Neve 1073 series. Very evenly balanced.
I agree. It's not "overly bright"... but it is "brighter" than the BAE... that is all I said.
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
True. Countless artificial-sounding recordings that aren't connecting well with the public and aren't selling well. Vocals through a BAE 1073 are one small contributing factor to that.
What you're talking about has nothing to do with the gear and everything to do with the performance. You are confused and are trolling.

I stand by my previous statement and am done.
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
i sure wouldn't put vocals through it, though
Quote:
Nevish wise, I own a BAE 1084, Vintech X73i, and a Dan Alexander Dual Class A/1272 with Marinairs.... I can say that I have preferred the other 2 units on vox over the BAE every time. The BAE isnt as clear and forward sounding on vox, it destroys on guitars though.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

I prefer my AMS Reissues, they really sound great and can't imagine why anyone would dislike them.

I prefer them over the BAE units I have used but that said there is nothing wrong with the BAE they sound great but different than the AMS for sure, that's not up for debate.

AMS sounds closer to the vintage units I track on at another studio here in Houston. They have a BCM loaded with vintage 1073 and the other half with 1066. They all have Marinairs in them.

None are better than the other, it's just a preference really. It's also true that allot of comercial stuff is tracked with BAE pre's too.

If money is an issue go with the BAE. If you don't mind spending a little extra I would go with the reissues. Allot more people own BAE stuff than the AMS stuff but I'm guessing it's because most people can't afford AMS high prices.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

I have it , prefered it over AMS Neve - Seemed a bit thicker and didnt have that subtle hi mid spike that the AMS had . Plus cheaper .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search