The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073MP Dual Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
It's only brighter because the lows/low mids aren't hyped. The AMS lows are full, coherent, and take EQ well. The BAE lows are hyped, smeary, and somewhat unmusical (though you can still make good music with it of course.)
Interesting , I bought the BAE because it had the nice musical low end . I did not like the subtle hi end spike on the AMS . It really is apparent on vocals . The BAE seemed to have a more balanced frequency in that dept. Saying that were talking small differences . I would use either of them and I find them as equals , but for my style of recording I go for the BAE . One does not crush the other .
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, one is not better than the other. It's a preference thing.

I chose the AMS particularly because of the mid forward "bell like" bump. The original vintage units do the same exact thing. It's a genuine part of the Neve sound that I really like, especially for vocals.

I could also see why someone wouldn't like that, but if the debate is on witch sounds closest to an original the AMS wins every time. Better? No... Closest to an original? Definitely.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post

I could also see why someone wouldn't like that, but if the debate is on witch sounds closest to an original the AMS wins every time. Better? No... Closest to an original? Definitely.
I agree with you on the fact that someone might prefer one over the other..

closest to original definitely NOT an ams, sorry.. just a quick look inside will tell you that the ams has a different build..
never saw an original neve made with smd and IC chips..

not that the music/song will care too much about that..

just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

BAE

I own the BAE 1073 Dual MP, I use it on overheads every drum session, I have also used it on overdriven guitars, vocals lead and group, Bass guitar, and I have ran mixes through it to hit the transformers, I really like the BAE 1073 MP, from top to bottom it is amazing, the thick harmonics are great, I have heard vintage 1073's and 1079's, and they are amazing . They are in the same family for sure. I want to buy another BAE 1073 dual MP, you can track a whole album with this pre and never look back, they are top notch, although I do love my api 312's and Avedis ma5's as well, i dont have the filters, im sure they're great, but for me not a necessity, if I were to go the filter route I would at that point get the full blown 1073 eq,
Old 4th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokaasen View Post
Do you guys have any experience with the BAE 1073MP Dual preamplifer?
Is there any other clones out there you will consider better.

What do you guys like best on, 1073 or 1083?
I own the BAE 1073MP Dual preamplifier and find it to be a very useable piece of gear. Excellent build quality, nice tone/color, full and rich. I have used it on many things, usually when I need a pair of something. I've enjoyed it on piano, drum overheads, some acoustic guitars. It's a nice color in your pallet! I would not however want it to be my first and only preamp.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I have it , prefered it over AMS Neve - Seemed a bit thicker and didnt have that subtle hi mid spike that the AMS had . Plus cheaper .
+1

It was overly bright and a little thin.
Old 5th June 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
+1

It was overly bright and a little thin.
Could just be a voice with nasty hi-mid resonance that requires a dark pre?
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Could just be a voice with nasty hi-mid resonance that requires a dark pre?
The voice I heard it on was rather mellow , country style , not a belting rock singer . The hi mid spike was just a tad , like maybe .5 db boost at most . Subtlle but I could here it .
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

HERE IT IS! 1073 clone shootout. Bae Ams Heritage

Check out this shootout especially the Vocal Track and the overall mix. The BAE and AMS NEVE kill it. The Heritage imho sounds harsh. The BAE low end is intoxicating though. I think this is my next purchase.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search