The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon 480L still a good buy in 2013? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 3rd March 2014
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh, so just a very short digital delay with no feedback...I see.
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

Upgrade Version 3.x/3.1 to 4.x/4.1 480L Effects System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
TLB, I am the original owner of a Lex 480L, and I'm not sure which of the two of you is correct on whether the algo's changed from V3 to V4. I have to say, my inclination is to be on Tony's side of that debate. I did read the PDF you posted regarding the V4 upgrade, but I'm not sure what part of it leads you to believe that the algo's changed from V3 to V4.

Yes, they added new parameter controls for Random Hall, and yes, they added presets from the existing Ambience algo for post use. But is there a particular statement(s) that lead you to believe that any of the basic algo's have changed? I surely don't know the answer; I can only presume that Lexicon would have left the algo's intact because a) the device and its main algo's were very popular and b) changing the algo's might anger people who loved the originals and c) people may be in the middle of projects which used the original algo's. Again, I don't know for sure, and it seems a bit academic anyway, unless you are discussing which algo's were modeled in the making of the Relab LX480. I mean, isn't that how the debate started? By discussing the algo differences between a hardware 480L and the LX480 software?

Maybe the 480L version 3.x to version 4.x debate and the relevance of a simple upgrade for the Lexicon 480L Effects Processor (That being there is no difference between version 3 to Version 4 or 4.1 of the Lexicon 480L can be finally put to bed once and for all. As you can clearly see here as an upgrade for 3.1 users to 4.1 can be had. This offering is from Benden Tech. For those of you with a Lexicon Version 3.1 unit here are the Details to the ultimate 480L upgrade. Good Luck and enjoy the extra Programs. Oh...and yes Relab LX480L is modelled on the 4.1 Lexicon Hardware Effects units Operating System. Hope those on Version v.3 480L Software are not missing out on too much!

Kind Regards
TheLastByte

Lexicon 480L still a good buy in 2013?-lexicon-480l-v3.x-4.1x-software-upgrade.jpg

And here is the link......Should you wish to upgrade, again it's academic, though Minutia is king on the GS forum these days!

Lexicon 480L Reverb V4 1 Eprom GAL Firmware Upgrade KIT Enables Classic Cart | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Lexicon 480L still a good buy in 2013?-lexicon-480l-v3.x-4.1x-software-upgrade.jpg  
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac
If anyone cares, you can get the Waves Audio IR1 convolution reverb for 30$ right now and download their free library with 200 480L impulse responses.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Is there something I don't know about Lexicon's quality control during this era? You guys keep saying "time bomb" like the thing was made out of baby hair and scotch tape
What they mean is if it breaks, you're **** out of luck. They don't make replacement parts anymore.

But I would still buy one if the price was right..... It's a classic sound.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Yes. In particular if you get the latest revision and the HD/Surround Cart which is David Griesingers latest algorithm. It uses the entire resources of the 480, so only one stereo machine is available. But what a machine.

-Casey
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

I've been umm'ing and ahhing over a 480L.. Having used both the OG and listening to many videos and samples of the relay I think in going to be going relab. For what I'm looking for it is VERY much in the ball park and if I want to get that old school digi vibe I guess I can look for an old apogee DA!!
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Yes. In particular if you get the latest revision and the HD/Surround Cart which is David Griesingers latest algorithm. It uses the entire resources of the 480, so only one stereo machine is available. But what a machine.

-Casey
I've been scouring the net on and off for a while looking for the HD/Surround cart, but so far no luck.

I did pick up a couple of the Classic Carts for my machines, but no HD cart yet to be found.

(other hen's teeth I'm looking for is the Framelink so I can control 2 480's from a single LARC)
Old 26th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

-Casey
I've just purchased a 4.1 480L with the Classic Cart.
I would very much like to get my hands on the elusive HD/Surround Cart.
Anyone selling?
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

They would have been in the 480s used in LARES installs I believe.

-Casey
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict

If you find one in a good condition...definetly YES! I decided years ago for the smaller Lexicon 300 that came out some years later. Sounds also great, is a newer model, has all digital I/Os, the typical Lexicon sound and it's cheaper. In case of an unrepairable damage, it wouldn't be a drama. You may buy another one. The 480L is still too expensive to loose it.
Both 480L and 300L sound best with analog I/Os, but even if connected digital, they beat most of the actual plugins. Even today it makes sense to have one of those "big Lexicons" like 480, 300 or 224XL or if budget is limited a PCM****.
For your music (world and new age) you may need beside such great Lexicon reverbs a more spacious sounding box. This would be the world of the Eventides. Here you may find a second hand DSP-4000/4500 or H3000D/SE, an Orville or maybe an Eclipse.
The combination of one big Lexicon and one of those Eventides would be the best for your style of music.

On the other hand if you are looking for the best natural and realistic sounding reverb a Bricasti M7 would be the choice.

In the plugin domain I would recomand the Relab LX480, Altiverb and Valhalla Shimmer, Vintage Reverb and Room.
But they can't beat the higher end hardware yet. Maybe in some years...I hope.

Last edited by Sudad G; 28th February 2018 at 11:42 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Is the 480L with remote (today 2019) still a machine that might go down and impossible to repair . are some ics impossible to get or did something change in the meantime.
What kind or irreplaceable parts are we talking about?
Im studying the possibility of getting one and need to know more about it.
Its priced around 2700e. good price?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by egloss View Post
Is the 480L with remote (today 2019) still a machine that might go down and impossible to repair . are some ics impossible to get or did something change in the meantime.
What kind or irreplaceable parts are we talking about?
Im studying the possibility of getting one and need to know more about it.
Its priced around 2700e. good price?
I think David Kulka still repairs them. https://studioelectronics.biz You might write him and ask. Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

David Kulka no. Beemish in Ohio does, Only place I know of
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
David Kulka no. Beemish in Ohio does, Only place I know of
Thanks Snoggin! May come in handy.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Thank you guys for the answer.

I was looking for something in Europe tough.
Shipping one of these overseas seems scary .

Anyone else would like to add something please
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by egloss View Post
Thank you guys for the answer.

I was looking for something in Europe tough.
Shipping one of these overseas seems scary .

Anyone else would like to add something please
I will be having a 300 with Larc at my doorstep soon. You know I'm also frightened by the idea that the 480L can't be repaired, I think the 300 is in the ballpark plus it's a newer machine. The 480 is what I wanted at first, I think the 300 is second best.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
I will be having a 300 with Larc at my doorstep soon. You know I'm also frightened by the idea that the 480L can't be repaired, I think the 300 is in the ballpark plus it's a newer machine. The 480 is what I wanted at first, I think the 300 is second best.
Thats what i am trying to know...
if it is really that "unrepairable " and what exactly is inside that can not be sourced or repaired.

I d be happy with the 300 if its more "repairable"
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

As far as I know the 480 and 300 are equally irreparable as the custom chips are what make them difficult to maintain. I have never worked with a 480 but the 300 was a lovely machine. I was never given the impression that the custom chips inside are particularly likely to go on either. It’s just a case of ‘if they do’

Does anyone know if there are known vulnerabilities in the unobtanium parts of either machine?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Maybe thing have improved but when I looked into buying a 480 nearly a decade ago I ultimately gave up because the repair market was a void and I'd been advised that vanishing parts made it a crapshoot I was likely to lose. And with plugins matching that sound to the T it was the right choice.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Maybe thing have improved but when I looked into buying a 480 nearly a decade ago I ultimately gave up because the repair market was a void and I'd been advised that vanishing parts made it a crapshoot I was likely to lose. And with plugins matching that sound to the T it was the right choice.
All of that aside, I always wanted a LARC on top of my console.

Man I might just get another one in the future for parts, they are not that crazy expensive compared to the 480. Plus it's tactile.. I just hope UAD doesnt come out with a physical midi LARC or something to hook up to the plugin. You see a lot of original Lexicon units on second hand sites these days, people are content with the plugins I guess. It's digital after all.

Gimme physical knobs and sliders. More!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
Does anyone know if there are known vulnerabilities in the unobtanium parts of either machine?
I would source the last available chips and make a stock.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

If you are 2 afraid buy vintage gear because you "think" it cannot be repaired you are in the wrong game. Lexicon made a ton of 480's and there are a ton of parts out there. That being said 480's a built very good. I have 3 vintage units and none have them have failed other than needing to fix or replace a remote cable. This parts are all common to fix and can be found anywhere. I had to replace the lithium batteries again super easy to find a solder in yourself. I have tried, used and purchased a number of different 480L plugins and they just don't do it for me.
Believe me if I could replace the 480's with plugins I would do it in heartbeat.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Honestly guys, I wouldn't waste my time with a 480 or 300. As an owner of a 480 doorstop, and I own pretty well all the plugs, it's better just to let it go. As much as I loved my 480, and nothing sounds like it despite what plugin makers say, it's really a technology abandoned by it's parents. Lexicon doesn't even make or care about pro products anymore. Since the Harmon purchase decades ago, the company only cared about the bottom line, not pride of the own creations, or concern for it's customers. I also own a PCM96 Surround, and it will only be a matter of time for that one to be another doorstop, too.

I really miss my Larc sitting atop my desk, but it's been in the shop for the last 2 years, waiting for the part gods to bless it again. However, since Lexicon had custom parts from the 80's, it's most likely a hopeless cause. I remember I was using an Atari 1080ST back in the 80's, what's the chance of that being viable today. too?

Are the plugins as good, no! But, it's what we have now and it's the state of music technology today. And yes, I have the Lex plugins, Exponential Audio, Waves, HD Cart, Oxford, etc. etc.

But, if you really want to be in the same league and quality as the 480, I would steer you to a Bricasti. It doesn't sound like one, but they're the last man standing. And they seem to really care about what they do, and the customers that support them.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
As far as I know the 480 and 300 are equally irreparable as the custom chips are what make them difficult to maintain. I have never worked with a 480 but the 300 was a lovely machine. I was never given the impression that the custom chips inside are particularly likely to go on either. It’s just a case of ‘if they do’

Thats where i am trying to get at also.
Old 1 day ago
For what it’s worth I bought a non working 224 XL
And Rob Squire at ProHarmonic got it working.
Love my 224 & 480L
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Surprisingly the 224 is the most maintainable non current lexicon. I’ve fixed two of them. Literally pulled one out of a dudes shed for free. Most expensive thing was the extender card (which lives with my tech now)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemusic View Post
Honestly guys, I wouldn't waste my time with a 480 or 300. a 480 doorstop.
Well at least it's the coolest doorstop ever.

Might go look for a DASH machine too, that's only useful as a fridge or a boat anchor around here... or a mini bar. Put some bumper stickers on it.
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I've been umm'ing and ahhing over a 480L.. Having used both the OG and listening to many videos and samples of the relay I think in going to be going relab. For what I'm looking for it is VERY much in the ball park and if I want to get that old school digi vibe I guess I can look for an old apogee DA!!
I have a 480L that I purchased new in the 90's. I still love and use that thing everyday, but the Relab plug is just fine....in situations where I have to be totally ITB, I don't really stress over having to use the plugin.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post
I have a 480L that I purchased new in the 90's. I still love and use that thing everyday, but the Relab plug is just fine....in situations where I have to be totally ITB, I don't really stress over having to use the plugin.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Thanks Kirk.

I’m actually going full UAD this year so will get the Fark off mega bundle and be done with it. Seems UAD do everything ‘right’!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search