The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Urei 811's? Studio Monitors
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Nut

Urei 811's?

Hi
I am considering picking up a set of Urei 811's. I mix mostly rock/metal. Anyone have any thoughts? I like modern mixes, but with a slightly darker tonality usually (Not into the fizzbox mixes we commonly hear)

Thoughts?
I know these arnt exactly high end, but figured that more of the old timers would know more about these.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Addict
First studio I worked at had Urei's as the mains. I always liked listening/working with them. After awhile I started using the ns10's more.

Anyway...I like point-source style speakers and own a Pelonis setup today. I looked into Urei's....But just like my old Tannoy's....There's the issue of parts and service.

I'd like to hear the Urei's again to see if I still like them as much as I did back then. I don't think I would use them as my main monitor though. I would suggest getting something current. And if you like your mixes to come out dark...Get something kinda sizzly.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by effitall View Post
First studio I worked at had Urei's as the mains. I always liked listening/working with them. After awhile I started using the ns10's more.

Anyway...I like point-source style speakers and own a Pelonis setup today. I looked into Urei's....But just like my old Tannoy's....There's the issue of parts and service.

I'd like to hear the Urei's again to see if I still like them as much as I did back then. I don't think I would use them as my main monitor though. I would suggest getting something current. And if you like your mixes to come out dark...Get something kinda sizzly.
What did you like about them?

Im definitly worried about the parts. Service is something I dont mind learning...

Why is that?

im worried that the midrange mid be voiced some too "smoothly". I have just heard these speakers have outstandfing imagine...
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Addict
I guess the easiest way to put it is that they just sounded "right" to me. Solid bottom, nice detail, and great imaging. I haven't heard a pair in probably 15 years though so I'm just going on memory.

The Tannoy's I had were similar...But perhaps a little "cleaner" and more "polite" sounding than the Urei's. I think my mixes are translating the best on the Pelonis I have now though. I just feel like I can trust them more.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Ureis are the sound of rock, if your room can handle it I'd go for it. I don;t think you will have a problem with parts, I might even have some spare 604 Diaphragms in ny cab......
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Ureis are the sound of rock, if your room can handle it I'd go for it. I don;t think you will have a problem with parts, I might even have some spare 604 Diaphragms in ny cab......
My room is fairly small (but that will change in the future). The manual says they are ideal for "small mixing rooms".

The only thing Im worried about is the midrange response, does anyone know how detailed they are in the midrange? I also know they only go down to about 80hz, but I believe my current (crappy) monitors are the same way, so I dont think that should pose too much of a problem....

I already have a nice amp to go with them (Crown Ps-200)
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
811s and 813s are definitely a midrange forward kind of speaker. Thats why guys like to cut guitars with them. As to midrange detail...detail is a word I usually use nore in a mixing sense, like in a small or medium nearfield, but thats just how I see it.

Its a great tracking speaker, I don't think I would relying on it as a promary mix speaker, but you might hear it differently.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
811s and 813s are definitely a midrange forward kind of speaker. Thats why guys like to cut guitars with them. As to midrange detail...detail is a word I usually use nore in a mixing sense, like in a small or medium nearfield, but thats just how I see it.

Its a great tracking speaker, I don't think I would relying on it as a promary mix speaker, but you might hear it differently.
That has definitely been what I have been able to gather without hearing them yet.

Is that because smaller drivers usually lead to a faster response, or...? Im slightly confused. I think I might be mixing imaging and detail together...

Why is that?

Thanks for the help so far guys. Its quite humbling to be a beginner on these boards sometimes
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Size, position, a dome tweet instead of a horn. Probably a little of all that. Its hard for one speaker to serve all functions.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I work on 813's regularly, I love them. Definitely midrange forward, I've heard them described somewhat as "big NS10's" which for me, as a NS10 user, is great.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
I work on 813's regularly, I love them. Definitely midrange forward, I've heard them described somewhat as "big NS10's" which for me, as a NS10 user, is great.
How do they translate?? And how ia the bass reaponse? Im not sure if 15in woofers would respond quick wnougj. Maybe my fears are irratiinal? Haha
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

They've always served me well, big speakers like those are generally, in my opinion, less about accuracy and more about inspiring the client or for me just to hear how something sounds loud as f**k, and they do both of those things extremely well.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
They've always served me well, big speakers like those are generally, in my opinion, less about accuracy and more about inspiring the client or for me just to hear how something sounds loud as f**k, and they do both of those things extremely well.
Understandable. So mixing the urei's with a nice nearfield would be the way to go then rigjt?

Makes sense. If tje midrange is detailed, that would contrast nicly to my current monitors, which are very hard to cut guitar on...
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Always gotta have a nice set of near fields! Depending on the guitar, sometimes it's nice to mix them loud! In which case the urei's might be nice for you
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Always gotta have a nice set of near fields! Depending on the guitar, sometimes it's nice to mix them loud! In which case the urei's might be nice for you
Just about anything would be better for guitar then the monitors Im using now (Aesis MKii Passive's)
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampoor View Post
Just about anything would be better for guitar then the monitors Im using now (Aesis MKii Passive's)
Oh...yea. I have the old M1's at my old studio in my folks attic that I still use when I'm home visiting, they knock, but I wouldn't want to mix anything on them
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oh...yea. I have the old M1's at my old studio in my folks attic that I still use when I'm home visiting, they knock, but I wouldn't want to mix anything on them
Yeah, i have figured ojt how drums translate, but they really dont have much midrange clarity...makes guitar tracking very hard. I can judge overall mix o tone well, but getting instruments to gel is really tough
Old 8th October 2014
Here for the gear

urei 811s

sorry there is no such thing as a good sounding Crown amp...
And, there were four iterations of the infamous UREI monitors
a) original good sounding Altecs
b) crappy Altecs (their quality control went to hell!)
c) PAS woofers and JBL Hi-Freq driver
d) ALL JBL transducers
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseklapholz View Post
sorry there is no such thing as a good sounding Crown amp...
Lets agree to disagree!

Crown 300 is still one of my all time favorites.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search