The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 5059 Summing Mixer
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Neve 5059 Summing Mixer

I believe that's the model number. Anyone use it? It's got some nice features and not bad at 3.5k.

Thoughts?
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeMason View Post
I believe that's the model number. Anyone use it? It's got some nice features and not bad at 3.5k.

Thoughts?
Hi

Only thought I have is to stick Rupert in front of the heading so to not confuse with earlier "Neve" consoles

Posted from my iPhone
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

get yourself an Aurora side car- you won't regret it.

But either will probably put a smile on your face.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Since you're here Geoff, what do you think of using a 5059 to sum your Ivar St. rack of 8 pres and 8 eqs? I'm trying to put together a new system and don't need all the functionality of your own Ivar St. master module. But I would still need some sort of summing box.

Thanks,
R
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Since you're here Geoff, what do you think of using a 5059 to sum your Ivar St. rack of 8 pres and 8 eqs? I'm trying to put together a new system and don't need all the functionality of your own Ivar St. master module. But I would still need some sort of summing box.

Thanks,
R
Hi Rick

Anything's possible but I don't know if using a 16 into 2 sub mixer for eight audio paths is the best use of the 5059... which I am sure is a great piece of gear!

Our Absolute 8 x 2 would do the same task for around a third the cost albeit eight channel, not class A and won't have a texture control.

My concept with the Absolute range (GT8x2 and GT8x8) was that the GTP8 and GT4-8 are packed with class A stages so I didn't want additional coloring with the mix point. The same logic might apply to the 5059...

Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Got it, thanks.

-R
Old 27th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi Rick

Anything's possible but I don't know if using a 16 into 2 sub mixer for eight audio paths is the best use of the 5059... which I am sure is a great piece of gear!

Our Absolute 8 x 2 would do the same task for around a third the cost albeit eight channel, not class A and won't have a texture control.

My concept with the Absolute range (GT8x2 and GT8x8) was that the GTP8 and GT4-8 are packed with class A stages so I didn't want additional coloring with the mix point. The same logic might apply to the 5059...

Agree with Geoff...the Silk Texture control is nice though...

I also like the fact that you get 16 channels, although that doesn't mean you couldn't use two eight channel summing mixers...or three for that matter...

tik

lemme nough...
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

I had chance to play with it (I condider that 'using it' means when one has it in studio for some longer period of time).
My ears are well accustomed to analogues summing boxes as I use them constantly since 2005. Also, Neve 5088 is console of my final (ultimate) choice for its sonic attributes.
I use nowadays summing boxes either for analogues synths submixes or for fast mixes on remote location. For me chapter of ITB/OTB mixing is more-less resolved and summing boxes still have significant part of job doing constantly. I kept only few, Nicerizer 16 and SPL Mixdream, different, but both top notch.
Recently, I was in need to make new laptop based portable setup which would feed 16 ch analogue summing (standard that I like to maintain, even on smaller scale setups) and suddenly Rupert Neve's 5059 entered into picture.
I was not enthusiastic immediately, as it initially looked as 'budget Ruppert Neve summing' (not cheap, but still compared to 5088).
Long story short, Rupert nailed it down this time again.
I will write full report when I decide to buy it and install in my setup, but from current experience I can tell that I've experienced familiar high-end quality of mixed tracks and 5059 definitely deserves Rupert's signature on it (not for marketing purpose).
From full-bodied clean to nicely colored vintage sonics (Silk) is great range of real analogue mixing qualities easily achieved with this box.
I dare to say that 5059 fits nicely between Nicerizer and Mixdream, but to me its is even better than any of mentioned workhorses I used for years and will continue to use.
Some boxes are more colored and less transaparent as consequence, but up to today, this is the first summing box that totally teached my 'golden standard' of being as transparent as possible without sacrifying sense of space, liveliness and full analogue body compared with numerous lesser designs.
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Maniac

yeah the 5059 is a great box. I want another.
With the two stereo outputs you can use 2 5059s running 24 channels of DA and use the final 6 channels for stems and the last 2 for the 2bus or whatever.

the knobs feel good too.

with a 24+6+2 sort of setup you could have inserts and silk/silk+ at many different stages. Pulling in the whole harmony aux during verses would be simple.
Old 9th April 2015
Here for the gear

Hi all,

I'm really interesting in buying a 5059 due to the analogue inserts which a lot of the other summing boxes don't have. I also love the idea of the Silk button and the fact it has DB25 connectors on the back - nice simple connection to an Avid i/o. I'm also looking at the SPL Mixdream but I'd like to hear from anyone that's using one of these day in, day out - how is it working out for you? Are they any issues of any description? Have you compared it to the SPL Mixdream and do you prefer it? Are there any other summing boxes that I've missed which offer this insert functionality (the Manley summing mixer is a bit out of my price range!)?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search