The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Newer UA 1176.. Is it really that bad? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th June 2014
Have you thought about building some? I was in the same place as you a year ago and wanted the 1176 sound but didnt have more than 2k to spend.. Enter Hairball Audio.. for $1200 I built 2 REV D clones and LOVE them. I did a blue stripe REV A in January and like it even more than the REV D. definitely worth checking into if your handy with a soldering iron and want to save money.
Old 16th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Looking forward to your opinion on how it sounds and compares to the UAD 1176 II collection
I prefer my UAD mk ii plugins to the UA 1176 hardware when mixing. I also prefer the CLA 76.
Old 16th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
Have you thought about building some? I was in the same place as you a year ago and wanted the 1176 sound but didnt have more than 2k to spend.. Enter Hairball Audio.. for $1200 I built 2 REV D clones and LOVE them. I did a blue stripe REV A in January and like it even more than the REV D. definitely worth checking into if your handy with a soldering iron and want to save money.
Call me vain but I like having a 1176 with the Universal Audio name in it. Don't want build your own kits as I want the reputation of having hardware gear from the manufactures who created it. I am sure the ones you can make sound good, but I want the UA name on the plate.

Can't comment on the plug in vs the hardware but know you can only track with hardware.
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Call me vain but I like having a 1176 with the Universal Audio name in it. Don't want build your own kits as I want the reputation of having hardware gear from the manufactures who created it. I am sure the ones you can make sound good, but I want the UA name on the plate.

Can't comment on the plug in vs the hardware but know you can only track with hardware.
What about the UREI name?

And with the UA Apollo one can track with UA plug ins
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear

Vain isn't the word.

Anyway, the modern Universal Audio company isn't the original Universal Audio/Urei.

If you can make a kit that has "better" parts, or are more like the particular model variant you want, it's a better bet… if you are competent to do it.
Old 17th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Vain isn't the word.

Anyway, the modern Universal Audio company isn't the original Universal Audio/Urei.

If you can make a kit that has "better" parts, or are more like the particular model variant you want, it's a better bet… if you are competent to do it.
I agree that you can make kits yourself, but there are hundreds of studios that own the newer UA 1176's which are heard on countless recordings done today. It may not be the same company as the original, but like many have said, original is not necessary better. Many times you want a cleaner sound that keeps the original tone of the voice, or bass. I believe in UA with their gear. Granted there are many versions of the unit since it came out. But their web site says:

"The 1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier is a modern reproduction, yet every effort was made to remain faithful to UA founder Bill Putnam Sr.’s visionary design and intentions. The original UA 1176LN was a major breakthrough in limiter technology — the first true peak limiter with all transistor circuitry offering superior performance with a signature sound — and set the standard for all limiters to follow. The ultra-fast attack time and trademark sound have lured legendary artists and studio moguls alike to the 1176LN — Peter Frampton, Joe Satriani, Joe Chiccarelli, Vance Powell, and Mike Elizondo are just a few names on a list that’s continued to grow, for nearly 50 years.

FET-Style Compressor with Class A Output & Custom Transformers
True to the original 1176 in design, manufacturing and performance
Ultra fast attack time – 20 microseconds to 800 microseconds
Hand-built in USA; backed by 1-Year limited warranty
View All Features
Carefully trained staff hand-wire and test each unit until it meets our uncompromising standards. This Universal Audio Classic version of the 1176LN captures all the nuance of the original through obsessive attention to detail and delivers that trademark sound. Demand the original. Accept no copies.
"
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am sure the ones you can make sound good, but I want the UA name on the plate.
That's what markers are for.
Old 17th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
That's what markers are for.
Or stickers, Frank. Don't forget stickers.
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear

I ended up getting the revive audio 1176. It's a rev D with cinemag transformers designed specifically for them, and it sounds very nice. I've never used a UA one, though I like the UAD stuff a lot.
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Or stickers, Frank. Don't forget stickers.
I need to up my game. All my gear is starting to look like it's from the same manufacturer with my handwriting for all the logos.

Yes, stickers are a better choice!
Old 19th June 2014
I received the 1176 in my studio and fired it up. So far I only worked with bass guitar and compared it to the UAD 1176 Collection. I will tell you there is a difference between the hardware and software.

I used a med fast attack and very fast release on the compressor with a ratio of 4. (UAD 1176 bass guitar preset). The hardware unit is clearer allowing you to really hear the notes very well. When you compress -3db, it is more on the transparent sides. When you compress more, you hear it reduce the signal in a gentle way controlling the peak. It controls the transients while still breathing. Obviously you can hit it harder and get more of an effect.

The UAD version (purplish face) adds more character which actually smears the notes slightly in a good way when adjusted correctly. I found you can't use the same settings to get the similar results. I actually found the AE 1176 plug in to sound closer to the hardware.

I also compared it to my Portico compressor with feed forward (cleaner option) and found the Portico added more smoothness to the signal with its transformers. The 1176 offered a cleaner sound like the bass amp was in front of you with a nice punchy sound. Depending on your needs, one will be better than the other.
More test are forth coming
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

the hairball stuff is really nice, so is the purple, and we are saving up for a UAri just to see, but each rev has its own thing, the A blue stripes sound aggressive and fuzzy, our rev D's sound warmer and smoother, our Purple's are modeled after rev F i think, they are more brash and hi fi, and each one has a sound and a character that really shines on some task and we have them all cooking most of the time… like i said saving up for reissue ua's if they are darker that would suit us well.

waiting for the 2nd blue stripe…
and testing out some new kit…
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I also compared it to my Portico compressor with feed forward (cleaner option) and found the Portico added more smoothness to the signal with its transformers. The 1176 offered a cleaner sound like the bass amp was in front of you with a nice punchy sound. Depending on your needs, one will be better than the other.
More test are forth coming
Steinberg has modeled the Portico Eq and Compressor.
Start
Old 19th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Steinberg has modeled the Portico Eq and Compressor.
Start
True but the hardware sounds better; but thats for another thread.

By the way, I was able to get the UAD AE 1176 to sound very close to the hardware with slight different settings on the input control.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
True but the hardware sounds better; but thats for another thread.

By the way, I was able to get the UAD AE 1176 to sound very close to the hardware with slight different settings on the input control.
To the AE hardware, right?
Old 20th June 2014
I found the hardware adds some fullness in the low end that the plug ins do not. It offers a clearer sound that is modern and punchy. It sounds like the guitar or bass amp is playing right in front of you when you use it. When reducing the signal, it is not too soft with normal settings and can provide a lot of different sounds when working with the input, attack and release. It may not sound like the original 1176 compressors, but if I want to add character, we can go to Portico, API, Manley and others for that. I really like this compressor. Here is my full review of the compressor. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revie...l#post10198184
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Plugins make the sound collapse

The hairball reissues sound nothing like the original
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

but the hairballs do sound very good. very usable. and each model imparts a different sound/texture… who cares if it is not a vintage original blue stripe for 6ooo.00 … if YOU do not have 6000 dollars for an OLD blue stripe…. try the hairball for 600. it MIGHT MAKE YOU SMILE!
The A does its thing, the rev D does it's thing.. and they are different… no body cares what it is… everyone is smiling because it sounds good.

I have an INCREDIBLE Lucas CS4… almost every voice sounds great thru this mic and we use it on every session… is it an original vintage 12k u47? no. does it matter? no ...do the clients even know what a telefunken u47 IS? no …. so the only people who care/know are us engineers and a handful of famous artists who worked in the old days at studios who had them… IF YOU NEVER HEARD A U47 why would it matter as long as you are capturing a great vocal track with the best tools you have available to you?

have fun, record some music, try to improve your signal paths, don't get caught up in semantics!
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

The lucas is a nice thing of its own but cant beat a proper <#200 u47

Hey if your clients cant hear the difference why bother right? Do YOU hear the difference?
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

A proper <#200 U47?

If the sound of a GN107 equipped U47 is your choice of comparison.Any sub approx #750 Neumann U47 will yield identical results.
Old 20th June 2014
Quote:
I found the hardware adds some fullness in the low end that the plug ins do not. It offers a clearer sound that is modern and punchy. It sounds like the guitar or bass amp is playing right in front of you when you use it. When reducing the signal, it is not too soft with normal settings and can provide a lot of different sounds when working with the input, attack and release. It may not sound like the original 1176 compressors, but if I want to add character, we can go to Portico, API, Manley and others for that. I really like this compressor. Here is my full review of the compressor. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/revie...l#post10198184
Thanks for your post and review Glenn. Your insight was very detailed on questions many home studio owners have had on the new 1176 compressor as well as how the newer UAD 1176 plug ins compare.

So the UA 1176 compressor has a clear sound. Does it add any character or is the UA compressors just very clean?
Old 21st June 2014
Quote:
I found the hardware adds some fullness in the low end that the plug ins do not. It offers a clearer sound that is modern and punchy.
I like to call it 'the pultec effect'. It's like there are little men inside the tranformers who grab all the low end frequencies and line them up and then spit them out all at once so they are aligned.

It's nothing like that... it just sounds like when the master runs through just the right amount of iron.

Am I making sense, or should I go stand in the corner and pelt ****e at myself?
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I like to call it 'the pultec effect'. It's like there are little men inside the tranformers who grab all the low end frequencies and line them up and then spit them out all at once so they are aligned.

It's nothing like that... it just sounds like when the master runs through just the right amount of iron.

Am I making sense, or should I go stand in the corner and pelt ****e at myself?
You're making fine sense. But I'd still like to see the ****e pelting. I mean, who wouldn't?
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Nut

I've been wondering, does the 6176 (comp side) sound the same as the 1176?
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED. View Post
I've been wondering, does the 6176 (comp side) sound the same as the 1176?
I have a 6176 and a 1176 rev F and they do not sound similar. I 'think' the 1176 side of the 6176 is supposed to be modeled after the rev C-D's. The 6176 side is very dark as compared to the rev F, and the Purple Actions compressors and the Distressor at the the studio. The rev F has this harmonic sheen that is exciting sounding with a nice mid push and the 6176, just the comp-side I am speaking of, sounds dull, darkish and thick. Still useful tho, love the 6176, whole unit, on bass DI.

RED, I see you have a Distressor, I can get the EL8 to sound very similar to the rev f by engaging the link button.
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

I got a bluey a matched pair d and a matched pair f 1176

The magic again lies within the non-rohs compliant stuff
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
I have a 6176 and a 1176 rev F and they do not sound similar. I 'think' the 1176 side of the 6176 is supposed to be modeled after the rev C-D's. The 6176 side is very dark as compared to the rev F, and the Purple Actions compressors and the Distressor at the the studio. The rev F has this harmonic sheen that is exciting sounding with a nice mid push and the 6176, just the comp-side I am speaking of, sounds dull, darkish and thick. Still useful tho, love the 6176, whole unit, on bass DI.

RED, I see you have a Distressor, I can get the EL8 to sound very similar to the rev f by engaging the link button.
Cheers! Been toying with the idea of another hardware comp to complement the disressor. Just picked up an older 2-610 and ua compressors came to mind.
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear
I have a UA 1176 and the CLA plugins. I prefer the hardware slightly over the plugin which is very useful too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search