The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 962 routing & flexabilty Consoles
Old 12th February 2013
Here for the gear

Studer 962 routing & flexabilty

Hello,

Even know I 've been lurking around these parts for years this is my 1st post. I am finally gonna break down & get a small analog console. I am a singer/songwriter & recording enthusiast who mainly tracks mellow folk rock kind of stuff. I don't need anything huge & over 16 channels. My question revolves around routing & flexability.

Are these desks consistantly in need of repair?

Are the mic pres & eq bypassable simultaneously & seperatly bypassible?

Is the monitoring section flexible & clear? I 've heard there are CR modules in these desks that change the monitoring functionality?

Are there seperate inserts on each channel for outboard gear?

I will be using this soley for tracking & then mixing. I am open to recommendations as well. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 13th February 2013
Hi,

I used to have a 14/4 Studer 962 in my home studio but had to sell it a year ago. I used its direct outs (bantam to trs) for tracking. I used it also as a summing mixer occasionally. For the price (~2500 USD), 14 pres and EQ strips were good bang for the buck. I really liked the EQs and would some day have a couple of those in a custom rack. In general it sounded very "3D" (airy) and also did nice things in the low freqs. For acoustic instruments it's a good choice - used it alot with KM184's at the time. It's tough build and weighs a ton. Apart from some stiff pots I didn't have maintenance issues.

Sam
Old 13th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machacha Man View Post
Hello,

Even know I 've been lurking around these parts for years this is my 1st post. I am finally gonna break down & get a small analog console. I am a singer/songwriter & recording enthusiast who mainly tracks mellow folk rock kind of stuff. I don't need anything huge & over 16 channels. My question revolves around routing & flexability.

Are these desks consistantly in need of repair?

Are the mic pres & eq bypassable simultaneously & seperatly bypassible?

Is the monitoring section flexible & clear? I 've heard there are CR modules in these desks that change the monitoring functionality?

Are there seperate inserts on each channel for outboard gear?

I will be using this soley for tracking & then mixing. I am open to recommendations as well. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Just buy that monster and enjoy making music with it. I have one and use it for last 5 years with no problems at all. It has insert points ( balanced) but I am using it as direct outs. You can bypass the eq section. Good monitoring options on the desk and with breaout box even more options. Hi pass and eq are really great sounding and the mic pres have crazy amount of clean creamy headroom.

Great desk
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head
It's a one great desk.
Preamps are totally clean and very fast, it's built like a tank, 30 years after production date, with little maintenance it still meets specifications within 0,2dB. Mic pres are not bypassable, there is a line/mic input selector on each channel. Eq is bypassable, so is pan. Monitoring is very simple, you can listen to both of sums, aux sends or four external inputs (available on DB-50 connector, service manual lists all pins).

The only issue I've seen was faulty (but not totally broken, just not working perfect) input/gain selector on one of the channels on very heavy used and little serviced, over 30 year old unit. Usually a little fiddling of the knob did the work.
Old 24th February 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks guys!

Everything sounds more delicious now. Is it typical for the line inputs to have to

pass through the mic pre sections when you mix on these or other boards? It

seems that you would want to have the option to disinclude that color & maybe

just use the EQ (or not) & outboard gear/effects ?
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

It has been a while since I have had ours out in front of me since frankly we have other options I usually choose first. That being said it is a very nice console. I have to admit I only ever use it with the preamps, never in line, since those mixes are usually live broadcasts, or at least live to 2 for later broadcast. I am fairly certain that when you choose line in on a 962, you are truly bypassing the head amp, not just adding a pad on the input.

I have to say it would not be the first tool I would have thought of for a singer songwriter recording rig in the ways I have seen my singer songwriter friends create. But as always, whatever gets the job done for you!

Cameron
Old 24th February 2013
Here for the gear

Hey Cameron,

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a certain mixer that you would recommend in place of the Studer as far as sidecar mixers go? Other than the actual music/song etc. what are some of the mixing tools you would prioritize in place of something like a 962?
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

I think it really depends so much on how you create and the type of music you are doing. Is it closer to James Tailor singer songwriter, or Beck singer songwriter music? It also depends on what gear you already have. Do you have a great reverb and compressor? Are you tracking full bands with drums?

I have seen folks buy an old mixer to integrate in to their studio use it for a year plus and realize it's limits really got in the way of what they were doing. As someone who regularly records on penultimate analog consoles, I realize it is not always the right tool for some types of work. Digital consoles fed by great preamps and A/D converters add so much efficiency with certain types of audio work, the product will sound better since you likely get beyond details you would have never considered had you been working on an 88R.

On the other hand, if I had a client that came in wanting to spend the next several months making an album, and had the budget for 2" tape, I would certainly fire up the MTR 90 sitting under the tarp in the corner of the room. The 88R would be the absolute right tool for the job. When you have many bands coming in a week tag teaming live to 2 mixes for broadcast sprinkled with chamber groups and occasional long term mixing projects, it would not be my preferred tool. Others of course will disagree. You need to decide that one for yourself.

If you have some great analog processors, EQ's and comps., the Studer will be a fantastic way to integrate those boxes. Also, what you will pay for a used one is hard to beat. You will probably spend more money if you bought a lunchbox with 2 each of your favorite preamps/Comps/ and EQ.

If you want to mutate sounds sonically and create unusual sonic landscapes like the band Elbow, In The Box is probably going to be your tool of choice.

Cameron
Old 24th February 2013
Here for the gear

Cameron ,

Thanks for the input. The reason I want a quality sidecar is for a little mixing glue, mojo, stereo widening, separation, & analog EQ channels. The style is a flat & present vocal oriented sound revolved around acoustic instruments. I work w/ a drummer of whom I record all drums live. There is also a female Singer songwriter/pianist involved. I record her stuff & we right stuff together & she does backing vocals on my tunes as well. We overdub a decent amount of stuff. Having a big console for our situation would be a bit nutty mainly cause of space, finances, & practicality. My projects are low key & not my current source of income. I lack analog EQ's but, have everything else you mentioned (avedis , api, retro 176, etc.). Of course a lot of recordings I like were done on 2" inch tape & big consoles in the early 70's & 60's but, again big consoles & big tape will not be practical for my situation. Maybe this info. will help tie my original post together a bit more. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's 2 cents!
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Head

Can anyone tell me how to change the signals of the user define studio monitor knobs?
I don't know what the preowner routed to the 3 knobs. Master and CR is clear, but i want Aux1/2 on 1 of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 962 routing & flexabilty-962-studio-mon.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search