The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any current soundcraft 6000 users Consoles
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Addict

any current soundcraft 6000 users

So I have been on this epic odyssey with my soundcraft 6000. I just bought a second console on ebay to have spare channels and to upgrade from 24 to 36 channels. I had all the opamps recapped and cleaned etc. I ended up spending way more than its technically worth but whoah i have a really sweet sounding console. I am just a few months away but finally having this console fully tweaked out. I did a rough mix with the 24 channels that were already recapped and i got a mix that sounded so sweet in like 2 hours. not a single plug in compressor or plug in effect. lots of outboard.

Is anyone on here making dope records with one of these boards? I would love to hear some work I will post some samples when i get some final mixes up.
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Head

Yes, I have the same console, don't know if my recordings are dope. They're definitely swag though

Anyway, I love my Soundcraft 6000 but there's some things I dislike also.

I love the way I can push it into gentle distortion. Don't generally like the EQ too much though : the low end might be sort of usable but the hi shelf is much too harsh for my liking. Strong but even 2 dB seems always a bit too much, I find myself reaching for other outboard EQ or even plug-ins.
But it's very easy to get a nice going mix on this board, yes, easier then in the box (for me). I always mix down to a Telefunken M15 these days. Added gearsluttism

So the recapping was worth it, mmm? My board was made late 80s, hasn't been recapped since, wonder if I should have a go ?(I have several spare channels so I could start with just the pair to see).

There's lots of soundlinks on sukilove.com, when you click on the studio tab.

I'd like to hear some of your samples if you find the time.

All the best,
Bronto.
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Nut

Hey guys,

Excuse my ignorance. But when you mix with the 6000 or any analogue desk do you send the stems out through each channel of the board? (like vocals, drums maybe summed)

And then do you print the 2BUSS of the 6000 back into protools or whatever DAW your using?

If so what interfaces are you using?

Thanks
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosauce View Post
Yes, I have the same console, don't know if my recordings are dope. They're definitely swag though

Anyway, I love my Soundcraft 6000 but there's some things I dislike also.

I love the way I can push it into gentle distortion. Don't generally like the EQ too much though : the low end might be sort of usable but the hi shelf is much too harsh for my liking. Strong but even 2 dB seems always a bit too much, I find myself reaching for other outboard EQ or even plug-ins.
But it's very easy to get a nice going mix on this board, yes, easier then in the box (for me). I always mix down to a Telefunken M15 these days. Added gearsluttism

So the recapping was worth it, mmm? My board was made late 80s, hasn't been recapped since, wonder if I should have a go ?(I have several spare channels so I could start with just the pair to see).

There's lots of soundlinks on sukilove.com, when you click on the studio tab.

I'd like to hear some of your samples if you find the time.

All the best,
Bronto.
Hi,
The "feels like it needs EQ, but Eq'ing doesn't help" thing can be a sign that you need a re-cap.
Best,
Ike
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi,

Soundcraft 3200 user here, really a great desk too, totally NO plug here ( for now... ), with lot of racks...

Paul
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

I'm mixing on a Soundcraft 6000 36x24. I had Jim Williams mod the master section. Great crosstalk and tons of headroom. I dislike the monitoring section (no mono option, really?) and the fact that there is no way to send out the groups to an external patchbay, and I think the eq is just ok (good mids and decent low end but the hi end isn't great). It has a nice smooth distortion when needed and is just pretty warm and present in general. I've certainly mixed on better boards but I would take it over most.

BTW - Did you do the recap yourself? I have several scratchy channels and could really use a recap. I have been debating whether to invest more money in it or save up for a Neotek or Amek or something of that ilk.

Here's a song I mixed a while back on the console...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_s5_RGBLU
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
there is no way to send out the groups to an external patchbay
I had a 6000 for several years (24X16). It had the internal PB which had groups with an unbalanced insert send and return. If I needed to, I could use the insert send to go somewhere.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance. But when you mix with the 6000 or any analogue desk do you send the stems out through each channel of the board? (like vocals, drums maybe summed)
Unless there are a gazillion tracks, why would you want to stem out drums on a desk? Stereo BV and whatnot sure, but in your scenario you'd be using the desk just to sum.

Quote:
And then do you print the 2BUSS of the 6000 back into protools or whatever DAW your using?
Yes, or another 2 trk. The 6000 has 3 (A, B, C, if I remeber correctly)

FWIW, I did a lot of work on a 6000 for a few years. I initially purchased the 6000 because of its very low price point used, considerable features and layout considering said price point, and modular design (I had spare channels and maintenance was pretty straight forward).

I had some mods performed by Jim Williams. The center section was worthwhile, but after having some input modules done, I didn't see the cost benefit of carrying through with all 24.

I avoided the pres, modded or not, like the plague.

After moving on and working in frequently on some much better desks as well as a dangerous summing rig for budget projects, my opinion of the 6000 has changed with perspective.

I owned a Trident series 75 before the 6000 and in general, smaller mid-level consoles will always suffer from many of the same drawbacks. Their strengths typically lie with the user and his/her willingness to work with the limitations and find the quirks that help the sonics be the best they can.

I know with my 6000, the faders were always lower across the board (pun intended), and I used the PB to bypass as much as was possible. I also removed the masterfader and relied on an external monitoring switcher/selector.

Here's a cut I mixed on the 6000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxF-DzCXlk
Old 30th March 2013
Deleted User
I miss my 6000

I had a 6000 36 X 24 for several years. Loved it. As did others, I had Jim mod the 2-buss.

The pres were great for tracking, particularly drums. Very good for vocals, too, oddly enough. EQ was quite serviceable.

I did my mixing to stems in Nuendo and ran them into the 6000. Output from the 2-buss fed a pair of ISA 430s into a Finalizer. I recall that I paid a whopping $3500 for the console. Remarkable bang for the buck.
Old 30th March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
I had a 6000 for several years (24X16). It had the internal PB which had groups with an unbalanced insert send and return. If I needed to, I could use the insert send to go somewhere.

Unless there are a gazillion tracks, why would you want to stem out drums on a desk? Stereo BV and whatnot sure, but in your scenario you'd be using the desk just to sum.

Yes, or another 2 trk. The 6000 has 3 (A, B, C, if I remeber correctly)

FWIW, I did a lot of work on a 6000 for a few years. I initially purchased the 6000 because of its very low price point used, considerable features and layout considering said price point, and modular design (I had spare channels and maintenance was pretty straight forward).

I had some mods performed by Jim Williams. The center section was worthwhile, but after having some input modules done, I didn't see the cost benefit of carrying through with all 24.

I avoided the pres, modded or not, like the plague.

After moving on and working in frequently on some much better desks as well as a dangerous summing rig for budget projects, my opinion of the 6000 has changed with perspective.

I owned a Trident series 75 before the 6000 and in general, smaller mid-level consoles will always suffer from many of the same drawbacks. Their strengths typically lie with the user and his/her willingness to work with the limitations and find the quirks that help the sonics be the best they can.

I know with my 6000, the faders were always lower across the board (pun intended), and I used the PB to bypass as much as was possible. I also removed the masterfader and relied on an external monitoring switcher/selector.

Here's a cut I mixed on the 6000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxF-DzCXlk
Oh ok. I'm liking the mix that you did on the desk. Was that entirely outboard and desk processing? And what pres did you use if you didn't use the ones on the board?

Thanks
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh ok. I'm liking the mix that you did on the desk. Was that entirely outboard and desk processing? And what pres did you use if you didn't use the ones on the board?
I don't recall the outboard but there was an API 2500 on the 2buss. Mic Pres would have been any of the following: Neve or BAE 1073, API 312, Purple Biz, and/or Calrec PQ1161. Some of the piano tracking and GTR od's came to me and I think the guitarist said he used a 610 and Shure KSM 32 for tracking.
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear
Very nice recording and mix. Enjoyed the music video too (but the music better).
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post

DzCXlk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxF-DzCXlk[/URL]

So how would you use the desk to mix? Would you still stem out the individual components? The only way I can think of is through summing like you said but then this isn't mixing.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Head
I know this threat is 5 years old, but I'm still using my 6000. It's a 28/24 and I send the tracks either to my Ampex MM1100 16 track 2" then to Protools 6 with 888/24's (or bypass the Ampex). I edit mix in the box 90% of the time but I'm thinking that I want to do the mixing on the board and do all the edits and plugins in protools pre the board and see how that goes.

It was built in 1988 and we bought it in 2002. Here is a video of laying down basic tracks: https://www.pscp.tv/w/bSK87DFXZ0VnRHJucXl5UXZ8MXluS09vcXBPVlpLUuefSK4gq8rDclwLHprcAh0bXxfvgvTQE0FGBG33PtSP
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppanton321 View Post
So how would you use the desk to mix? Would you still stem out the individual components? The only way I can think of is through summing like you said but then this isn't mixing.

Thanks
Each track is sent to different channel in the desk; kick, snare, overheads etc. from each channel of the converters.

Then sent to groups and then onto the main outputs of the desk

The resulting mix is then captured on a 2 track recorder. (This could be 2inputs on the same converters)

Each track can be processed using the desk and out board (and/or itb before hitting the desk)
Old 12th January 2018
Very popular here. I have two master sections in from France. I sent another out locally last week. Like a Timex watch they keep on ticking...
Old 31st January 2018
Here for the gear

I have one of these for sale in Manchester, England. My small community group has one that we have never made use of. Apparently it is a great piece of gear and in good condition for it's age but has a few faults, needs some re-capping. Anybody interested?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search