The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Retro Sta-Level - Favorite Settings?
Old 3rd February 2013
Retro Sta-Level - Favorite Settings?

I just got a Retro Sta-Level Gold Edition. What a beauty!

I'm just starting to get to know it for myself, but am curious what some other user's favorite recovery time/mode settings are for various sources - vocals, bass, Ac Gtr, E Gtr, kick drum... And how much GR do you like to use?

Thanks!
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

beautiful compressor

For vocals and bass, it ends up:
Attack: Double
Recovery: Pos 4, one before the fastest
GR, 10-20 dB ! but just so it gets nice and thick without flattening out
Old 4th February 2013
Thanks!

I was under the impression that the "mode" control affects the release not the attack. Maybe it's both. Why is there no manual? I'd like to know the attack/release times at various settings...
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Mine basically lives on Double and Recovery 4.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Maniac

On vocals I go back and forth on the single and double modes. The release is great set to anything really, it's where most of the character comes from in my opinion. Backing vocals do great set to the slower settings, but anything that has a lot of syllables I speed up the release time.
Old 4th February 2013
I appreciate the replies!

After 1 day with it I can tell it's nearly impossible to make anything sound bad with it, and I can use my ears when setting it, but I'd still like to know -

Is there somewhere I can find info on what the attack and release times are at the various settings on this beast?

Cheers,
Old 5th February 2013

Double, 4, 10 to 20db of reduction but it can hit harder
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I bought the old Gates Sta-Level from Sound City. I use it sooooo much. Most of the time on Double and reducing anywhere from 10-40 dbs! I have no restraint with the thing.
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I bought the old Gates Sta-Level from Sound City.
Oh, now you're just bragging. heh
Old 5th February 2013
Vocals: double mode, Recovery time anywhere between 3 o'clock (fastest setting) to 11 o'clock and 5-20db of gain reduction.

Bass: I like triple mode b/c it growls a bit. If u want it cleaner try single or double mode.
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Vocals: double mode, Recovery time anywhere between 3 o'clock (fastest setting) to 11 o'clock and 5-20db of gain reduction.

Bass: I like triple mode b/c it growls a bit. If u want it cleaner try single or double mode.
Thanks! Does "Mode" affect the attack time at all, or just the release time? I haven't had time to test this for myself yet, so it's easier to just ask you

------------------------

Also, anybody using a 6386 tube instead of the "T-bar" that comes stock? Any significant difference in sound?

Thanks all!
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict
I think 6386 made mine a litte creamyer sounding not huge but I think it was worth it jmo Sent from my Motorola Electrify
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Thanks! Does "Mode" affect the attack time at all, or just the release time? I haven't had time to test this for myself yet, so it's easier to just ask you

------------------------

Also, anybody using a 6386 tube instead of the "T-bar" that comes stock? Any significant difference in sound?

Thanks all!
I think I remember Phil @ Retro saying the modes affect both the attack and release slopes.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear
My Sta-level sounds great as is, but I've got a 6386 heading to me for the fun of it.

Has everyone removed the other tubes when adding or left them in?
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Head

Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but being that this is all Retro STA-Level users here I thought I'd ask... I have a problem with mine. Today I turned it on (lights go on etc) but I'm getting absolutely no signal out of it. It's so strange... however when I took a look at the back, there was one tube which wasn't glowing. I'm thinking perhaps it's fried?

If so, is this something that needs a visit to the tech or can I easily buy/replace the tube myself, *if* that is the problem.

I've tried looking online to find a pdf copy of the manual but no luck...

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibuz View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but being that this is all Retro STA-Level users here I thought I'd ask... I have a problem with mine. Today I turned it on (lights go on etc) but I'm getting absolutely no signal out of it. It's so strange... however when I took a look at the back, there was one tube which wasn't glowing. I'm thinking perhaps it's fried?

If so, is this something that needs a visit to the tech or can I easily buy/replace the tube myself, *if* that is the problem.

I've tried looking online to find a pdf copy of the manual but no luck...

Thanks in advance!
Quickest solution is to call Phil @ Retro. He can probably talk you thru some trouble shooting and then advise a plan to fix it.

All the best,
Sal
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I just got a Retro Sta-Level Gold Edition. What a beauty!

I'm just starting to get to know it for myself, but am curious what some other user's favorite recovery time/mode settings are for various sources - vocals, bass, Ac Gtr, E Gtr, kick drum... And how much GR do you like to use?

Thanks!
Justin, how are u liking that STA now that u've had it a little while?
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the quick response Sal!
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibuz View Post
Thanks for the quick response Sal!
You're welcome :-)
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear
Double and SLOWEST recovery time for vintage mojo magic.

They should have named the box the MAGIC VOCAL BOX. Set and forget.
Old 13th February 2013
teo
Lives for gear

Single or double, release one or two clicks from the fastest setting.

Cannot find much use for the triple setting, was wondering if it's just me...
Old 13th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Cannot find much use for the triple setting, was wondering if it's just me...
b a s s
Old 18th February 2013
Quote:
I'm just returning from a vacation so I have no news to report yet, but I'll let ya know!
Old 22nd February 2013
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
b a s s
Really?
Mmmmm...interesting...scary as well, as I usually record bass with compression.
Old 22nd February 2013
Quote:
Really?
Mmmmm...interesting...scary as well, as I usually record bass with compression.
what do u mean by "scary"?
Old 26th February 2013
teo
Lives for gear

Well, I like getting sound while recording, but to squash the hell out of bass to tape could be a risky business...
Old 26th February 2013
Quote:
Well, I like getting sound while recording, but to squash the hell out of bass to tape could be a risky business...
I'm not suggesting you obliterate the bass w compression. Use to taste.
Old 26th February 2013
Quote:
I'm liking it a lot! Still getting to know it, but so far I can't make it sound bad, just different flavors of great.

'Sounds so smooth I'm starting to doubt if the GR meter is really labeled correctly. Not that it matters too much, but I suspect it's not. I've never tried to measure GR, how would I do that?... hmmm...

P.S. I see someone voted me a thumbs down on my last post - heh - vacation envy!
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

I'm comparing a Sta Level to a 176 right now (own the 176 and borrowing the Sta Level). I have to say, I might of bought the wrong one. The flexibility and the openness of the 176 is fantastic but the Sta Level fits my thin singing voice beautifully. I'll have to do some soul searching but there might be a 176 in the classifieds here shortly!

1 question, though - is the meter supposed to be lit? This is a new unit I bought for a clients studio and the meter doesn't light up like my 176 does.
Old 1st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
1 question, though - is the meter supposed to be lit? This is a new unit I bought for a clients studio and the meter doesn't light up like my 176 does.
No, it doesn't light up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search