The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Retro Sta-Level - Favorite Settings? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd January 2014
What are your (collective) thoughts on the Drip/Gates STA-Level?
Old 2nd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
What are your (collective) thoughts on the Drip/Gates STA-Level?
I got rid of my Retro STA and now have a DRIP STA. It's fantastic!!!
This one has a release mod added which provides the original single/double positions plus 4 more recovery times for added flexibility...similar to the Retro.

I'd say that the DRIP has a slightly bigger sound than the Retro (if that's possible)... but I will say that I didn't have a 6386 in the Retro and do in the DRIP.
Old 2nd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I got rid of my Retro STA and now have a DRIP STA. It's fantastic!!!
This one has a release mod added which provides the original single/double positions plus 4 more recovery times for added flexibility...similar to the Retro.

I'd say that the DRIP has a slightly bigger sound than the Retro (if that's possible)... but I will say that I didn't have a 6386 in the Retro and do in the DRIP.
Thanks! I'm giving one strong consideration at the moment!!
Old 2nd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Thanks! I'm giving one strong consideration at the moment!!
Cool. I PM'd u with some info.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Nut

I also added six additional release times to my Drip Sta Level. It makes the unit much more usefull since the original times are very long...

Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

I still need to build one of these. Dang they look incredible and I heard impressive samples from littlesicily that got me wanting one bad!
Old 2nd January 2014
I didn't build the one I have, but was done by a close friend who did an outstanding job. The recovery mod is built right into the main unit. Looks like the Retro recovery knob.
Old 2nd January 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

I'm looking at building one of these, are these Drip clips publically available littlesicily? I'd love a listen to that with the Sowters in...

Best,
Tom
Old 2nd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
I'm looking at building one of these, are these Drip clips publically available littlesicily? I'd love a listen to that with the Sowters in...

Best,
Tom
Tom,
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the clips.

Sal
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Triple ALL the time, for lead vocals. Input on 10 o'clock, output 2 o'clock. Drive it hard for 30dB of Compression.
That setting helps even small lead vocals to stay on top of the mix.

I usually run through the Sta first, then follow up with a 1176-type comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Single or double, release one or two clicks from the fastest setting.

Cannot find much use for the triple setting, was wondering if it's just me...
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Maniac

I want another one. I've had great success with it as a parallel comp on vocals
Single or double, release one click from the fastest setting. It can fatten up even the weakest singer, and the noise floor is acceptable at pretty extreme gain reduction.
I've had fun with it on bass as well, and it may replace an La-2 or 2 here. FWIW, the Retro 176 is also super cool on bass, very 60's.
Just for full disclosure, I rarely track with either of these as they are quite heavy handed. They shine at mix time, at least for me,

Thx

Daryn
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

My favorite setting is "on".
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Me too, to bad it takes 15-20min. :-)

******tubes
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Drat. I read the whole thread with the intention of posting this sentiment. Beat out by 7 hours.

Haven't figured a way to make it sound bad on vox. Don't know how I would set it up for something subtle, like 2 buss
Old 3rd April 2014

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 3rd April 2014 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Opps
Old 12th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cardan View Post
beautiful compressor

For vocals and bass, it ends up:
Attack: Double
Recovery: Pos 4, one before the fastest
GR, 10-20 dB ! but just so it gets nice and thick without flattening out
That's the setting I love too, I find the slowest attack gets too much audible compression. This is the one compressor that is a must for vocals for that in your face fat vocals. This thing is god in a compressor
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Nut
I know this is an old thread but I'm reviving it. I've got a Retro Sta on its way and was curious to see who's tracking vocals through these?...and if you are, what settings are you using?
Old 23rd August 2016
Vocals - the STA is still my go-to comp. Double mode with the fastest release setting. 20 to 25 "dB" max GR.

I put "dB" in quotes because I'm convinced that the GR meter is not labeled accurately. There's just no way that the results I'm getting have that much GR on them. I can see in the waveforms that there is still some dynamics remaining, and I can hear that they're just not that compressed. I think the 20dB mark is actually 6 or 7 dB. I haven't tested it, just going by my experience...
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Maniac

I put "dB" in quotes because I'm convinced that the GR meter is not labeled accurately. There's just no way that the results I'm getting have that much GR on them. I can see in the waveforms that there is still some dynamics remaining, and I can hear that they're just not that compressed. I think the 20dB mark is actually 6 or 7 dB. I haven't tested it, just going by my experience...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my original STA is like that too. I should just put tape over the meter. Mine gets stuck on 30dB gain reduction for some reason, where I have to tap it in order for it to go back down. And I have to tap it a lot! I'm doubtful it's actually reducing that much, though.

Single mode mostly for vocals, double mostly for bass. Double if used for more percussive sounds.
Old 23rd August 2016
Double for vocals
Triple for bass... get's nice and crunchy.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Nut
It'd be cool to see Phill from Retro comment on the "dB"s on the VU not being completely accurate. Maybe its that good? I've also got a Retro Doublewide and I'm excited to hear the differences side by side.
Old 24th August 2016
OK, I had some free time today so I did a little STA-LEVEL GR meter test.

The result is:

When my STA's meter shows 15dB of GR it's actually only 11.5dB of GR.

When my STA's meter shows 20dB of GR it's actually only 14dB of GR.

So it's off, but not by as much as I thought, and it seems that the more GR there is the farther off it is. Pretty impressive compressor though, to sound so good during 14dB of GR!

I used a 1K tone with the STA mode set to double and release set to fast.

When getting 20dB of GR I can see prominent harmonics on an analyzer. The biggest is the 2nd harmonic, followed in descending size by the 3rd, 5th and 7th harmonics, plus more. See attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Retro Sta-Level - Favorite Settings?-screenshot-2016-08-23-17.04.13.png  

Last edited by Trakworx; 24th August 2016 at 01:06 AM..
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
OK, I had some free time today so I did a little STA-LEVEL GR meter test.

The result is:

When my STA's meter shows 15dB of GR it's actually only 11.5dB of GR.

When my STA's meter shows 20dB of GR it's actually only 14dB of GR.

So it's off, but not by as much as I thought, and it seems that the more GR there is the farther off it is. Pretty impressive compressor though, to sound so good during 14dB of GR!

I used a 1K tone with the STA mode set to double and release set to fast.

Awesome! Thanks for contributing to the science of rock . Ha. Hey Phil from Retro, if you read this, please explain! (or any other experts that may know why this is true.) Could it be the VU calibration? Either way, i'm eagerly awaiting mine right now.
Old 24th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnbass411 View Post
It'd be cool to see Phill from Retro comment on the "dB"s on the VU not being completely accurate. Maybe its that good? I've also got a Retro Doublewide and I'm excited to hear the differences side by side.
Not very similar at all. When the DW first came out people were hoping it would be a cheaper alternative to the STA. Not at all, IMO, nor marketed that way if I remember correctly. The DW is much more mid-focused, sometimes a bit much for my taste on a vocal but can be just right in a given situation. The STA is large and in charge.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Not very similar at all. When the DW first came out people were hoping it would be a cheaper alternative to the STA. Not at all, IMO, nor marketed that way if I remember correctly. The DW is much more mid-focused, sometimes a bit much for my taste on a vocal but can be just right in a given situation. The STA is large and in charge.

Yeah I felt the same way when I first used it. Not bad at all, but sometimes those mids get a little out of hand especially with a nasally singer. I've been hearing samples of the Sta though, and holy sh*t is it fat.
Old 25th August 2016
I used to love the sta in dbl mode for vocals, but lately I've been tracking on single mode w abt 10 db reduction, and come mix time on single mode again w another 15 db even 20 sometimes on the fastest settings! That w the massive passive gets my vocals sounding like a million bucks
Single mode has this nice sparkly top end and dbl rolls off the top end gently. Harsh vocals sound great on dbl mode though.
Depends on the bass but I'll sometimes use single dbl or triple. If that doesn't work then the good ol 1176 will
Gl w your sta level, you will love it!
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict

Drip STA here, with custom NOS tube set from Bowie
I use it on synth bass and kick all the time
But have tracked everything thru it at some point or another
It's crazy on synth bass ... these are big heavy basslines im pushing out and it really makes them pop
Adds a certain specific character to kicks and basses, which i totally love - punch and high quality colored sound all the way
Generally I'm on the slowest release time and double mode
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search