The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A-Designs NAIL Uses Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

A-Designs NAIL Uses

I've been using my NAIL for about a year now and love it. Just recently, I started trying it in dual mono mode on the 2-buss. Because of the filter, it occurred to me that I may not have to worry about a tom, or something similar, triggering a lot more compression than the opposite side. I'm wondering how many fellow NAIL users use it in dual mono for the stereo buss, and if so, do you mirror the same settings on both sides? I don't mean the gain control, but maybe some other controls. I'm looking for some more ways to explore this way of compressing with the NAIL!
Old 28th January 2013
Yup! Dual mono, match the settings on both sides using proper VU meters, sidechain around 100hz, mix at 75%. Gorgeous!
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

I've been mixing it around 80% but haven't tried the filter as low as 100hz. May give that a go on some less bass heavy mixes and see how that works.
Old 14th June 2013
500 series nutjob

I mostly like it linked for buss work.

If you like it in dual mono for buss work, do it!
Experimentation can be a cool tool at times.

Now I am going to have to give dual mono a role: ) .

Old 14th June 2013
Gear Addict

to me it sounds more open when you use dual mono.
Old 8th July 2013
500 series nutjob

Been trying it as a dual mono comp but i still like it linked for stereo best.
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Been trying it as a dual mono comp but i still like it linked for stereo best.
Haven't used it much for tracking yet - having trouble taking it off the master buss... heh

dB
Old 9th July 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Haven't used it much for tracking yet - having trouble taking it off the master buss... heh

dB
I've been using it on vocals as a very clean compressor when I'm not looking to change much of the sound. I'd like to stick it on a drum buss as well, but haven't yet
Old 9th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergface21 View Post
I've been using it on vocals as a very clean compressor when I'm not looking to change much of the sound.
That's the one thing I did track with it - but it was VO, not vocals.

Quote:
I'd like to stick it on a drum buss as well, but haven't yet
It's more than met my expectations in that area. The Hard Threshold and Filter controls really make a difference dialing in drums...especially the Hard Threshold.

dB
Old 10th July 2013
Gear Nut

I once tracked a very dynamic female r&b singer, who had more of a shrieking banshee voice.

After exhausting my not so extensive compressor combinations, my best combo was running the both Nail channels in series. First channel, faster attack and threshold set to only grab the sudden louder notes, second channel grabbing smoother peaks reducing only 3-5 db
Old 10th July 2013
Gear Maniac

I find it hard to A/B dual mono and stereo because when its stereo linked its doing about 5db more reduction than in dual mono with them same settings.

Is that normal?
Old 11th July 2013
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post

dB
thats i where i leave it then just patch in if i want if for something else. these just belong on two buss no matter what other use they get: )

Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

I also love dual Momo but nowadays i'm using acralic designs....... I want to change it anyone can suggest me in these nail designs about latest nail trends ?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search