The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
(vintage) 1073 worth it?
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

YES!
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

The difference between a Vintech X73/X73i vs an original 1073 is the same as comparing two original 1073's to each other. I believe that is a common consensus amongst engineers that work with both units on a day to day basis.

Sent from my LG-E970
Old 20th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
The conflict became when he started comparing loudness and his-my record was not the loudest.
You're gonna have to fix that.
Old 26th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
The difference between a Vintech X73/X73i vs an original 1073 is the same as comparing two original 1073's to each other.
Def not, IME.
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
The difference between a Vintech X73/X73i vs an original 1073 is the same as comparing two original 1073's to each other. I believe that is a common consensus amongst engineers that work with both units on a day to day basis.

Sent from my LG-E970

Uhh... Not at all.
Old 27th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
You're gonna have to fix that.
F*ck him.
Old 27th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
BAE's are great, IMO.
Yes BAE is even superior to orignal. Can't hear the difference between BAE and GAP MkII (had them hand-by-hand) but DLX version sounded same as original (more mid-range forward). Compared to Thermionic and Forssell at that moment btw. And I do prefer Forssell over all of them.
Old 28th March 2013
Quote:
F*ck him.
You're right, f*ck that bastard.
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

It is VERY VERY important to have an actual vintage 1073 because then you can mention it in every post and consequently deflect any suspicion that you may have no ability to actually make music say with your voice or a humble acoustic instrument. Magic 4 numbers protect me!

"How does this modestly priced TLM123 mic sound?"

"Great through a 1073 and 1176"

(actual post I read here on GS - I almost died laughing...)

Magic 4 numbers protect me!
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

I have used Vintage 1073s and owned all kinds of mocks and clones. In my opinion my favorite version is the BAE. It's just as good as the vintage but fewer problems and less noise. Used the Vintechs for a while before getting the BAEs, and though they do sound similar, the BAE is punchier to my ear - tighter, more defined.

The Vintech has a similar vibe, but not as much balls.

So to answer the question, I'm convinced at this point, thanks to BAE, a Vintage 1073 is not longer worth it (to my wallet).
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

the difference between vintage 1073 and vintage 1073 is that only a small fraction of 1073 actually have the marinair transformers. a non-marinair 1073 is not worth the money imho if you see it as an investment.

the best neve pre are octal-based "round-can" 1066s. they sound like nothing else in the universe, they are rare as hell and a few of those even were made with the 1073 12k HiShelf card before 1073s came out. investment-wise those are the keepers.
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
the difference between vintage 1073 and vintage 1073 is that only a small fraction of 1073 actually have the marinair transformers. a non-marinair 1073 is not worth the money imho if you see it as an investment.

the best neve pre are octal-based "round-can" 1066s. they sound like nothing else in the universe, they are rare as hell and a few of those even were made with the 1073 12k HiShelf card before 1073s came out. investment-wise those are the keepers.
Hi

It's a funny old world for the old timers who were at Neve when these modules were built and would have no idea that so much audiophile gossip would ensue 40 years later on.

For starters, both Marinair and St Ives made the Octal based transformers and I have seen both in vintage modules.

Also, back then Neve sourced the transformers from two companies, in the case of mic, line and output transformers, and treated them identically, fitting those were available from the stores at the time of the module build.

There may be a microscopic difference but "a non-marinair 1073 is not worth the money imho" is very much a matter of opinion to which you are entitled.

Even the wonderful EMI-Neve consoles, whose input transformers were selected and tested for thd and had this percentage figure on a label on each transformer... had mixtures of St Ives and Marinair transformers in them.

I have no idea whether current Carnhill transformers match the performance of vintage because I have never bothered to compare them... I leave those discussions for these forums but one must remember that other factors affect sound so vintage versus current may not be just transformer differences... albeit it is an issue to consider.

I believe I am one of the few "old timers" that read these posts!

Here are the others that probably don't....
Attached Thumbnails
(vintage) 1073 worth it?-neve-reunion-s.jpg  
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

how awsome is that picture! where’s mr neve though cant find him on that pic.

> For starters, both Marinair and St Ives made the Octal based transformers and I have seen both in vintage modules.

thats fantastic info, your wealth of knowledge is appreciated, as always!

so let me rephrase: from a collector's point of view the roundcans are rarer and thus in the long run they might prove to be definately worth the investment. besides sounding wonderful, that is.
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Cool reunion. I can imagine those hipsters partying their asses off. Rock n Roll blaring, passing the beer bong....
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
how awsome is that picture! where’s mr neve though cant find him on that pic.

> For starters, both Marinair and St Ives made the Octal based transformers and I have seen both in vintage modules.

thats fantastic info, your wealth of knowledge is appreciated, as always!

so let me rephrase: from a collector's point of view the roundcans are rarer and thus in the long run they might prove to be definately worth the investment. besides sounding wonderful, that is.
Hi

I expect that, living in Texas, Mr Neve has the same problems as me attending those reunions because you also can't see me there!

I do fly to the UK once a year for holidays and reunions with my family members but not in October. I do keep in touch, via emails, with several original Neve folk... two still working there and several that have left like me, years ago.

Old 29th March 2013
Here for the gear

Personnaly I would not buy any old gear despiste I have the money.
Take care of those 40 years old module not always well serviced, they certainly won' t live 40 years more.
People ehm ....no... "wall street traders" are getting rid of them at an expensive price , it' s like modern art , overpriced preamp . . Some copies has a better sound than a broken down Neve.
A pream is a very small piece of the sound, in a mix you' ll never hear the difference beetween an original 1073 and an heritage. But you will hear a huge difference if you have good microphones and prisms AD converters.
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Now that is a really cool reunion picture! Wealth of knowledge. So glad this forum exists and people with first hand knowledge are in it.

Sent from my LG-E970
Old 20th May 2013
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Any discussion of clones that land as close to the originals as possible should have AML @ the top of the list. Surprised no one has mentioned them. Maybe because Colin has as smaller, English company without the PR budgets of some of the others mentioned.
Old 5th June 2013
I gotta try that AML, now that I'm back in the 500 series game.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes BAE is even superior to orignal. Can't hear the difference between BAE and GAP MkII (had them hand-by-hand) but DLX version sounded same as original (more mid-range forward). Compared to Thermionic and Forssell at that moment btw. And I do prefer Forssell over all of them.
Is this so? A GAP really holds its own against the much higher priced units?
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

I have owned vintage 1272 line amps converted into Pres (Still have a pair, at one point had 8 of them)

I would rather have a Great River EQ-2NV and MP-2NV for around $5,000 new than a pair of vintage 1073's for $14,000+ racked with a PSU.

Also you can get great deals on vintage BAE racked 1272's like I've had for 2K about a pair.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I have owned vintage 1272 line amps converted into Pres (Still have a pair, at one point had 8 of them)

I would rather have a Great River EQ-2NV and MP-2NV for around $5,000 new than a pair of vintage 1073's for $14,000+ racked with a PSU.
a modded 1272 is not a 1073 by any stretch, neither is a great river for that matter.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
a modded 1272 is not a 1073 by any stretch, neither is a great river for that matter.
No but they're both in the ballpark sonically for a lot less money.

I'm saying simply put, that I'm not a purist. Function over fashion. I've worked on 80's series Neve consoles and they're fantastic, but there's a point where functionality and meeting a budget is key.

I don't think vintage units are should be worth $7,000 a channel with PSU, no.

Also my best pair of 1272's do sound extremely close (since they're made from original marinair transformers, etc) They lack the EQ, but throw on any good inductor based EQ design and you're right in the ballpark.
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

GUYS tell us more about those AML 1073 clones?
Really closed and nice to the original ?

Last edited by sergioelectro; 12th February 2015 at 09:35 AM..
Old 16th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
guys tell us more about those aml 1073 clones?
Really closed and nice to the original ?
anyone ?
Old 16th February 2015
Lives for gear

I'm getting a pair of AMLEZ1073's in here soon. I think they do stand up to the originals...it's a fantastic sounding design. They are a bit smaller in terms of controls due to the size though.
Old 16th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I'm getting a pair of AMLEZ1073's in here soon. I think they do stand up to the originals...it's a fantastic sounding design. They are a bit smaller in terms of controls due to the size though.
COOL, Please tell us how they sound when you get them
Thanks
Sergio
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Head
I have heard all of the clones and a handful of originals. I think bae is the best choice all things considered. (Sound, price, service, availability, reliability for matched pairs etc)
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Wow this got resurrected lol.

I own 2 Vintech X73's. All I can say is I'm no longer concerned about 1073 tone or if there's something better out there. At this point "better" would be about features.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search