The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
(vintage) 1073 worth it?
Old 2nd February 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
It's nice and all but I have a feeling that they'd rape me at the Canadian borders with a ton of import taxes.

ps: When is Neumann releasing their new u47? Ok Ok I know I'm pushing it!
You're such a baller why dont you just establish a US ship to address?...Jeez....I have 3 addresses across the line I could ship to..Use your "Hollywood" address for starters
Old 2nd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

You're such a baller why dont you just establish a US ship to address?...Jeez....I have 3 addresses across the line I could ship to..Use your "Hollywood" address for starters
I gotta sell my Neve DPD first!
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Nut

Well, I'm VERY happy with my AMS Neve '84's and they ain't 'clones', no they're REISSUES. Hell originals or 'vintage' don't even sound like originals, apparently.
It's all good )
Old 2nd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUVMUSIC View Post
Well, I'm VERY happy with my AMS Neve '84's and they ain't 'clones', no they're REISSUES. Hell originals or 'vintage' don't even sound like originals, apparently.
It's all good )
Nice I'd like to have one, I badly need an EQ.
Old 2nd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Wow, they even sound great on talentless hacks? That's unheard of.
Its easy to have good audio and crap music. kinda different things

also easy to have crap audio and amazing music

easy
Old 3rd February 2013
Pastor Obviedo
Funny thing is, now after soundcity movie, original 1073's will go up in price.

Stupid thing i know!
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo View Post

Stupid thing i know!
does this mean bad sounding drum rooms will go up in price too?
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Stupid thing i know!
Why ?

It was 1084's in the board..
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Same preamp, better EQ. 1084's already sell for more money than 1073's. Regardless, when one goes up in value the other follows.
Old 3rd February 2013
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet View Post
does this mean bad sounding drum rooms will go up in price too?
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Guru

the 2 vintage 1073's and the vintage 1081 i have are all saying let the price go up ... hahahahahahahaha the sky's the limit ... hahahahaahahaha
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Addict

I was fortunate enough to luck into 4 1073 modules a couple of years ago.
For a reasonable price to boot.
They had been maintained, but of course, after having them for a few months, things started to fail.
I had two of them repaired by a great guy on this site.
After the wow wore off....
I am using other things that to me, sound as good or better.
The 1073's are sitting in a case appreciating in value I guess.

I am just more excited by newer designs.
I would not have said this 15 years ago.
Old 4th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
I was fortunate enough to luck into 4 1073 modules a couple of years ago.
For a reasonable price to boot.
They had been maintained, but of course, after having them for a few months, things started to fail.
I had two of them repaired by a great guy on this site.
After the wow wore off....
I am using other things that to me, sound as good or better.
The 1073's are sitting in a case appreciating in value I guess.

I am just more excited by newer designs.
I would not have said this 15 years ago.
Which other pre do you use?
Old 4th February 2013
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
Why ?

It was 1084's in the board..
I don't know that much about consoles, but how are these mic pres, 1073's or 1084's?

Attached Thumbnails
(vintage) 1073 worth it?-sound-city-neve.jpg  
Old 4th February 2013
Quote:
I don't know that much about consoles, but how are these mic pres, 1073's or 1084's?

1084's and that picture can't be from 1973, Genelecs came much later.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Genelecs came much later.
And left soon there after...

Are 1073's worth it? Yes.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

It's an 8028 console with 1084's it was built in the early 70's..

You can clearly see each 1084 with the HI-q button in the centre of each channel.

Here's more pics - including a close up of the 1084's..

http://www.richardcleaver.com/2009/0...-city-studios/

Quote:

The studio also had an 8058 (sold to Rick Rubin), and an 8078 in their B room over the years..
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Silly thing to say.

I would say yes to the 1073 - if I knew it was working to spec. Then, absolutely. Hard to know that, of course; as others have mentioned, it might need some TLC. If it does, be prepared to put some more cash into it.

Cheers.
Obviously you have no idea what a 31102 is...

Its EXACTLY the same as a 1084 after you do the line modification with VINTAGE Marinair transformers. for $3000...

So you would spend an extra 2000 dollars to have the SAME preamp, a LESS functional EQ just to have the 1073 number?

This thread is truly ridiculous.

Even if you want an original black Marinair mic input transformer then you could drop one in for $500 or LESS and have the EXACT same thing, vintage transformers and all, for $3500.

Its just sad how many people buy numbers not mic pres... Literally.

My comments not silly, spending and extra $2000 for a lesser preamp/eq is whats silly.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK...
Old 13th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb View Post

Very true. But most don't have a time to find out what is really good for them. This is the reason why they ready to spend more and be done. However we both know there are pres that are way better then 5k 1073 in mono. Nevertheless there is no better pres then this one in some cases. Sometimes its good to have an option. Depends ...
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Its EXACTLY the same as a 1084 after you do the line modification with VINTAGE Marinair transformers. for $3000...

So you would spend an extra 2000 dollars to have the SAME preamp, a LESS functional EQ just to have the 1073 number?

This thread is truly ridiculous.

Even if you want an original black Marinair mic input transformer then you could drop one in for $500 or LESS and have the EXACT same thing, vintage transformers and all, for $3500.

My comments not silly, spending and extra $2000 for a lesser preamp/eq is whats silly.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK...

SO... Let us get this straight. It will cost you $3,000- $3,500 to do what you are saying with a 31102?

A 1073 sells for $3,500, a 1084 sells for about the same. Sometimes 1073 sell for around $3,000.

That is the same price, no?

But wait.. Which one will hold its value more? The original, or the hacked 31102?

If you are on a budget, and you want to do something like what you are saying, why not sacrifice the EQ a bit and get a 2057 for $800 and do what you are saying for the output? Seems a bit more logical to me..

Some modules are just worthless, and collect dust here-
Attached Thumbnails
(vintage) 1073 worth it?-photo-5.jpg  
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Obviously you have no idea what I know and dont know. What I dont know far exceeds what I do, but please do not be the one to tell the world what I do and dont.
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hi

My 2c is that folk wanting more features than the 1073, like switchable high frequencies, Hi-Q on the mids, and both high pass and low pass filters should go for the 1084 or maybe BAE's 1023.

True, the 31102 was developed from the 1084 just as the 31099 was developed from the 1073, to suit the mic input only configuration on the 8058/8068/8088 consoles.

In these consoles the line input was routed through a Belclere transformer in the channel switching unit (later 31102's had Belclere mic transformers also) and then via a +/-10dB trim control before a relay switched between it and the mic path.

The problem being that an ancient B106 emitter follower PCB was needed in the 31102/31099 to buffer the trim pot with 100Kohm impedance so the law was unaffected.

So, to convert a 31102/31099 "properly" to 1084/1073, you need to rewire the Elma gain switch, add that 31267 transformer, haul out that B106, change the internal wiring to suit, and don't forget to re-silkscreen the front panel.

Personally, those tasks seem a PIA to me and, if you really want a cheap alternative to the 1073, the 1079 and 1089 offer a far easier mod path that needs no silk screen changes and all the transformers are inside.

And if you want two channels that sound even better and don't need a rack or external power supply.... At around half the price.... There's always the GTQ2!!!!!

Posted from my iPhone in an RV at Circus Circus in Las Vegas.... Taking a week's break!
Old 14th February 2013
Well, I know a lot of you guys who've been on this site for a while are tired of the "Clone vs Vintage" debate, but this dead horse is still kicking. I'm new to the forum, and new to digging into the specifics of recording gear.

You have to take into consideration that every time a new thread is started, you'll have A) new people chiming in, and B) new companies making clones. Heck, ten years from now the BAE's you're talking about will have broken in and might really begin to get "that thing", thus prompting this exact conversation again in a new light. (but, you all know that). Now that I'm finished reading this thread, I'll dig through the archives for the older debates.

Anyway, I'm new, so I thought that I'd chime in and say thanks for digging into the age old debate. I'm beginning to look for a mic pre for the house (I'm a professional bassist), and I've been checking out the BAE pres...
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head
Well in my town there are exactly 6 channels of 1073 (small town). They all sound different and I know the ones I "like". And sometimes we rent them from away. And we always have the Portico 5012s or 5032 on hand as well. 1073s are nice, no doubt. I love em. But I think those Porticos have a very excellent sound as well. So we try and have a quick Portico vs 1073 shootout whenever we can. And on just about every blind test that I've done, the Porticos win. Now. What that tells me is that you have to LISTEN to the music and make a choice. Then decide if it's worth the $4000.........

Oh and maybe get those 1073s NEW. Getting an old one is a crap shoot...

Cheers
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Plenty of shootouts you can find here comparing 1073 clones to original 1073's and 1073 clones against other 1073 clones.

Don't just take anyone's word for it. Do a search and listen for yourself on good monitors.

In my opinion the Vintech X73's are the best clones on the market. I've also seen more of those in commercial studios than any other clone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 21st February 2013
Guys. Thank you for sharing your opinions. I got a bunch of old-school analogue high-end gear. And pre-pre recently recorded/mastered session was superb to my ears. But horrible to clients after a week. The conflict became when he started comparing loudness and his-my record was not the loudest.
Old 22nd February 2013
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Any discussion of clones that land as close to the originals as possible should have AML @ the top of the list. Surprised no one has mentioned them. Maybe because Colin has as smaller, English company without the PR budgets of some of the others mentioned.
I'm loving my ez1073.
I wish I had two, so I could use them on mix bus as well. I tried to strap it across a mix, and i loved it's low end, just running through it, no eq.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
In my opinion the Vintech X73's are the best clones on the market. I've also seen more of those in commercial studios than any other clone.

When we started selling the Vintech line a number of years ago I decided to do a shoot out with our X73i demo unit because I wanted to to see how it actually compared to the competition and the originals.

Borrowed a a pair of vintage 1073's (re-capped by vintage king) from a friend, and also had available Neve DPA, Chandler LTD1, and a Chameleon Labs channel (forget the model no.). Unfortunately did not have a BA unit there aswell.

To my ears the Vintech sounded pretty much bang on to the original Neve modules, not just the preamp but the EQ and filter also. Was extremely impressed when i heard this.

The DPA also sounded pretty bang on, but perhapps slightly politer... so subtle though that one would really stuggle to pick it out in a blind test.

The Chandler and Chameleon Labs units both sounded very similar to each other both in terms of preamp and eq sections but for me they were even more polite sounding than the others and the filter did not have quite the same girth and character that the orginal module or the Vintech X7i had.

Now that a few years have passed there are even more clones available, particularly for the 500 series. My view is that alot of these products weather made by Neve or X company are all pretty much all going to sound very similar, so its really more about what features each product has rather than anything else.. eq, filter, di input, fine gain trim pot, output attenuator, etc..

I like to use the 1073 EQ & Filter when im tracking a with certain mics like the Wunder CM7, its a must.

Old 18th March 2013
A few guys in this thread have said the Vintech x units sound spot on... and in my many shootouts with vintage Neve's, BAE, and Vintech... the vintech is always the furthest from the originals. Not bad, per se... just thinner overall.

BAE's are great, IMO.
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

a vintec x73i definitely lacked the low end of the real thing. Also the sweet top on the eq on the original felt much more broad, the vintech sounded like a tighter q and more unnatural as a result. Sorry
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search