The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Stereo E-Series Modules!!! Are u with me!?
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Maniac

SSL Stereo E-Series Modules!!! Are u with me!?

When asked about us POTENTIALLY getting some New E-Series Stereo Eq & Dynamics Modules for OUR X-Racks our GOOD friends @ SSL replied: "Although WE DON'T HAVE PLANS to develop STEREO versions of the E-Series WE ARE ALWAYS LISTENING to OUR clients IDEAS. USUALLY the BEST IDEAS come FROM YOU guys." Hint* so if WE ARE gonna get the STEREO versions OF THE E-SERIES EQ & DYNAMICS MODULES we gotta LET IT BE KNOWN that THIS IS something that we WANT! Besides more of our PRO tools in less real estate is ALWAYS a great thing! Peace!
Old 17th January 2013
jac
Gear Addict

+1

I'm with you!
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey510 View Post
When asked about us POTENTIALLY getting some New E-Series Stereo Eq & Dynamics Modules for OUR X-Racks our GOOD friends @ SSL replied: "Although WE DON'T HAVE PLANS to develop STEREO versions of the E-Series WE ARE ALWAYS LISTENING to OUR clients IDEAS. USUALLY the BEST IDEAS come FROM YOU guys." Hint* so if WE ARE gonna get the STEREO versions OF THE E-SERIES EQ & DYNAMICS MODULES we gotta LET IT BE KNOWN that THIS IS something that we WANT! Besides more of our PRO tools in less real estate is ALWAYS a great thing! Peace!

I love the idea of stereo eq with mono control, and so far I am really enjoying the SSL stereo channel EQ for my Xrack. I would most definitely purchase the E series stereo Eq and Dynamics if they ever become available.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
I love the idea of stereo eq with mono control, and so far I am really enjoying the SSL stereo channel EQ for my Xrack. I would most definitely purchase the E series stereo Eq and Dynamics if they ever become available.
I just wanted to add that the SSL "E" series Eq doesn't sound like the SSL Stereo Channel Eq for the XRack. They're totally different just in case there's some confusion.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Addict

Yes! I've got 4x E Dyn Modules and 4x E EQ Modules and would love to start a new X-Rack with some Stereo E Series Modules.

Make it happen SSL!!!!!
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront2K View Post
I just wanted to add that the SSL "E" series Eq doesn't sound like the SSL Stereo Channel Eq for the XRack. They're totally different just in case there's some confusion.
No confusion here...cheers

Bring it on SSL - Stereo E EQ & Stereo E Dynamics!
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I love how SSL says the best ideas come from their customers and how they listen to them when the fact remains that their customers have been asking over and over for a module with filters. Even more than stereo E series modules.

Based on how SSL listens to it's customers, I'd tell you to not hold your breath.

Regards,
Frank
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Ionian my friend we gotta have FAITH & be persistent! heh I'm with you on the filter modules until then we gotta just use the plugs 2 filter
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I hear you man.

Personally, I was surprised that after they came out with the stereo EQ and Comp that they didn't do the same with the E series. It almost seemed like the natural progression and what everyone was expecting. But more often than not, and it's not just SSL, it amazes me how often companies don't get it and have no idea what their customers are looking for.

To be honest, I really thought that at least after all this time they were still working on stereo E modules. To hear that they've never even considered it amazes me. Makes you wonder who's calling the shots over there.

Regards,
Frank
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm sure they got a lot on their plate but I think by AES would be fair enough time to make it happen... heh SSL CUSTOMERS- 7 SSL- 0 We gotta rally the troops! C'Mon SON u can't give us SuperAnalogue Stereo Modules & not the E-Series!
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm sure they got a lot on their plate but I think by AES would be fair enough time to make it happen... heh SSL CUSTOMERS- 7 SSL- 0 We gotta rally the troops! C'Mon SON u can't give us SuperAnalogue Stereo Modules & not the E-Series!
I can see many of my fellow gearslutz-tainians LoL is that a word would like to see a stereo "E" series Eq. Having owned the SSL "E" series I never personally encountered a situation that I'd want to use them in stereo. That's not to say that others may not wish to do so but I always used them on individual sources. Snare Gtr etc etc where you'd want something to be crunchy and up front they really can be in your face. Having said that I'd be quite surprised if SSL made a stereo "E" series Eq but I guess anything is possible.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'd get 4 of them to strap across the four stereo pairs (1-8) of my X-Desk.

Many have suggested the "E" eq's plus the Gray Comps are the way to go with X-Rack. The Gray's are stereo, the E's are not.

Stereo E's would make this possible.

C'mon on Solid State LOGIC
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

The stereo versions would come in handy for someone like myself who has a collection of Drum machines & synthesizers So yes I would like them linked & in (one) stereo module space as opposed to two mono's. You could also experiment on how it sounds on the master in comparison to the Grey. The mono's def have their place but so do the stereo versions!
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

I have a short list of want's from SSL.

1.Sure.I'd buy an E stereo EQ/comp/ for the drum sub alone

2.A slightly modernized version the 4-6k E-series console with no mic pre's or tower.

3.Bring back the standard rack channel strips...E-signature etc.
Old 21st January 2013
I'm signing up for this as well. I recently bought the X-Rack stereo EQ while I'd rather would have spent my money on a E-series stereo EQ if that would have been available at the time.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

I signing in also! Would love having this with my GET sum:mation summer and G-ssl Buss-comp. Slowly building a nice little 16ch ssl desk.
Old 21st January 2013
Solid State Logic

Don't forget - you can always use the copy/paste function on the X-Rack's TR computer to paste settings from one module to another, and you can also use the "LINK" button to make the mono dynamics modules act together on a common sidechain.

Thus, any of the mono modules can be set up to be used as stereo ones.

@Frank - FWIW it is me calling the shots on what we build and what we don't. In respect of the filter modules we did not see a large enough market for them compared to other things we had on our development list. We like lots of ideas but as a company we have to make the ones that will make the most money from the development resource we have available.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

@Jim thanks for chiming in & good 2 know that u are the shot caller over there so we're dealing with the right guy

You make a great point on the X-Racks ability to copy & paste, thank you for bringing that to our attention that is a nice feature indeed.

A lot of your customers have voiced their opinions & my intention with this thread is to give the company a better idea of Modules that we want "specifically the Stereo E-Series" for our X-Racks which is a life long commitment for the majority of it's adopters.

Things take time & it's understandable that you have to consider different factors but a Stereo E-Series & maybe a Filter Module would be great to complete your lines & if u did smaller runs 1st it would satisfy the existing users & entice potential future X-Rack customers
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
@Frank - FWIW it is me calling the shots on what we build and what we don't. In respect of the filter modules we did not see a large enough market for them compared to other things we had on our development list. We like lots of ideas but as a company we have to make the ones that will make the most money from the development resource we have available.
I guess Gearslutz is a lot smaller than I give it credit for! lol...Thanks for the update at least.

Regards,
Frank
Old 21st January 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I guess Gearslutz is a lot smaller than I give it credit for! lol...Thanks for the update at least.

Regards,
Frank
Hey Frank, not pointing any fingers here just giving some input...

The funny thing is soooo many people chime in with a "wish list" on certain things, but aren't really in the market for it anyhow. A good example is we launched our HS80M mod version months and months ago, and immediately people were asking about the HS50M mod and saying how they would buy it. I added it to the site, had Bob mod a pair...and months later I have a brand new pair of fully modified HS50M speakers on the shelf without a single sale. The HS80M 8" version continues to fly off the shelf...but not a single 5" version sold.

That is just something that immediately comes to mind, since I walk past them every day with not a single person on that thread or that had privately emailed me, turning out to be serious!

I see guys all day long talking about how they would buy some gear (A) if it was in 500 or (B) if it was not in 500. At the end of the day, almost none of them would pony up the cash if you called them up and said "pay me and I will build it".

I don't know how many purchases would result from following up on such statements...but statistically zero is my guess with lots of "uuuhhsss" and "I'm not quite ready" and "let me ask my business partner who makes purchase decisions" (ie their dog or wife).

These forums are good for many reasons, but believing that every single person who types a "wish" into a forum thread would actually buy it is a bad business plan for SSL or anybody else.

It might seem like a good idea, but it's not. My Yamaha experience above is just a small slice of tons of talk but no action...from a standpoint of "oh wow seems everybody will love it if we offer ______"!

Again, not pointing any fingers at anybody but definitely supporting what Jim is saying about a market actually having to exist, regardless of Gearslutz lore.

War
Old 21st January 2013
right on War! tell it like it is...
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

Despite ur points Warhead, I am as well prepared to purchase a Stereo E-Series Eq & Dynamics Module if & when these become available, i'll even purchase one thru your store if they happen to do so...

All I got in this world is my...

The X-Rack series is a important line & I think that these particular requests are reasonable requests that add value to an already potent line not some blind attempt to get SSL to create something cool that won't sell. It's a Logic-al progression, kinda like them releasing the previous stereo modules. Sorry about your previous HS80M mod experience
Old 22nd January 2013
Jai guru deva om

Smokey, just so you know I wasn't bashing anybody and totally know you started this thread because you are serious!

War
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

I know War, we are all Professionals here heh Gearslutz is a great thing because it gives our community & the manufacturers a direct dialog w each other. And like they say "They're always listening"
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know War, we are all Professionals here heh Gearslutz is a great thing because it gives our community & the manufacturers a direct dialog w each other. And like they say "They're always listening"

Lets hope that SSL bring us stereo E modules sometime in the future. I totally agree with you about the logical progression thing, it just makes sense to me that they would keep in line with the 'silver' stereo series.

No harm in giving us X-Rack users (and potential buyers) more options to fit our workflow and needs. Mono and Stereo both have a place for me personally.

But I can also see that War has made a valid point. It's not just about how badly we want a new module to come into market, but it also has to work 'sales wise' for the manufacturer. How many will they sell long term? Look what happened to the Superanalogue E Signiture channel strip, not much love till after it became discontinued. Even I missed out on a pair for a killer deal back in 2008.

Perhaps SSL are happy to keep the E series line as single mono modules, since they are popular and seem to sell well for them. Just a fair guess.

The flip side - from what I have gathered, stereo EQ designs with variable frequency adjustment via a set of mono controls are not so simple to design and require lots of work to achieve consistency, such as the tracking balance of the left and right sides of the stereo signal, amongst other related things.

Here's to hope
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

War makes a very good point. Companies do have to be careful.

With that said, it seems like the X-Panda turned out well.

I don't know if it was in the works prior to slutz requesting it, but I remember a couple of threads where guys were asking for a companion to the X-Desk.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

I would love a pair for my studio! Count me in!!
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Somebody mentioned on a recent Pensado's Place that the Original E-Series was used on Biggie's albums... Classic!
Old 23rd January 2013
As I was specifically asked to chime in on this thread with my point of view, here it goes.

Personally, I don't use anything in stereo, even if it has that feature available. I always use things in either mono or dual mono as I feel that it gives me more depth and dimension in the sound. Just my personal preference of course, but considering that the E series consoles were all dual mono or mono, a stereo version of a module would really not be true to form (at least from my recollection, though I could be mistaken).

I will also echo War's comments, as he is exactly right. There are plenty of people on this site, and within our "pro audio community at large" that talk a great game, but rarely part with their money. I am certainly not saying that the people involved in this thread aren't serious, I'm sure they are, but the R&D involved in creating and testing a new product, bringing it to market, and of course marketing/advertising is extraordinary. The amount of money made by the manufacturer per piece sold to a dealer isn't too great, and the dealer's margin is also getting slimmer by the day. Figuring in all of that, if the manufacturer and the dealer were to make proper margins for the efforts involved, the end price to the customer would be far higher than the market would allow. Thus, in order to bring a new product to market, there has to be a significant demand from people actually willing to make a purchase.

I'll bet that Jim would agree that SSL would probably be more than willing to entertain a new product such as this if 1000 people put their money on the table and committed to purchase as soon as the module was ready for the public. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen. People not only want to wait and see/hear the module after it's launch, but then decide if it's for them after all. Taking that chance is a huge risk for the manufacturer and they have to make very smart decisions based on what they believe will actually sell.
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Maniac

BUMP- I still want a Stereo E-Series Module

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search