The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dbx 902 De-Esser black sides vs. silver sides 500 Series Dynamics
Old 5th March 2013
  #31
Lives for gear
 

The 902's made in the 90's were yet another variation.

They are a completely new PCB with many circuit variations.
BUT they still have the black sides on the front.

I have one that came from an auction of some of Whitney Houston's studio equipment. And I have an earlier blackside version with the un-potted VCA, which I have recently re-capped.

Have not decided which I like best. They respond very similarly.
Old 5th March 2013
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJanuary View Post
The 902's made in the 90's were yet another variation.

They are a completely new PCB with many circuit variations.
BUT they still have the black sides on the front.

I have one that came from an auction of some of Whitney Houston's studio equipment. And I have an earlier blackside version with the un-potted VCA, which I have recently re-capped.

Have not decided which I like best. They respond very similarly.
I have both black and silver sided 902s and feel the same way. I can't decide which one I like more. They sound different as we discussed earlier in this thread, but I could use them equally well but for different applications.
Old 5th March 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJanuary View Post
I have one that came from an auction of some of Whitney Houston's studio equipment.
oh right, the same guy is currently selling "Bullet For My Valentine Stage Worn Wrist Bands from Michael Padge Padget”



appearance-wise i collected 3 different versions: silver - gold - black



- the silver ones are with the class a vca 2001 (marked “std" and unmarked plain silver ones)
- the gold ones are with the dbx vca 202c (marked and unmarked plain gold ones)
- the black ones are ic based and come in several revisions.

currently having them recapped. the silver ones will be last in the chain on vocal inserts and the gold and black ones before my vocal reverbs.
Old 5th March 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
oh right, the same guy is currently selling "Bullet For My Valentine Stage Worn Wrist Bands from Michael Padge Padget”



appearance-wise i collected 3 different versions: silver - gold - black



- the silver ones are with the class a vca 2001 (marked “std" and unmarked plain silver ones)
- the gold ones are with the dbx vca 202c (marked and unmarked plain gold ones)
- the black ones are ic based and come in several revisions.

currently having them recapped. the silver ones will be last in the chain on vocal inserts and the gold and black ones before my vocal reverbs.
Could you take a look at the pics of my 902s that I posted at the start of this thread? I think they might actually be the gold ones and not "black", even though they have black sides...
Old 6th March 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

thats the ic-based dbx 202XT
http://www.studioelectronics.biz/sun...6_dbx.202x.jpg

and the silver one is (what i presume) an umarked class a dbx 2001.

those silver cans are the good ones. but then again the ssl cone builders are crazy about the class ab 202c since it was used in the ssl compressor.

in the end i got a pair of each for a 100 bucks total and im pretty sure that even after recapping i wont hear a difference. but i may be wrong.
Old 4th August 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
thats the ic-based dbx 202XT
http://www.studioelectronics.biz/sun...6_dbx.202x.jpg

and the silver one is (what i presume) an umarked class a dbx 2001.

those silver cans are the good ones. but then again the ssl cone builders are crazy about the class ab 202c since it was used in the ssl compressor.

in the end i got a pair of each for a 100 bucks total and im pretty sure that even after recapping i wont hear a difference. but i may be wrong.
how did it go?
Old 4th August 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

Im currently looking for a fuse adapter to insert european fuses in the rack but ive used them with a power converter before and they are just lovely. I use them during tracking if requires and they are on my reverb sends for vocals during mixing. Mono in stereo out that allows me to use them on 2 vocal reverbs. 2 are good for now. I hope gearlust doesnt strike me anytime soon.
Old 5th August 2013
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

The 906 flanger arrived and it did not work, so it is in my thech´s shop. A friend lend me 2 silver 903 and 2 silver 904 to check them out, one of the 903 is gold and one is silver. Today I have a mix and gonna check em out. My black 902 works very nice but i find the usable range to be very very small, maybe i would change the pot value to a smaller one to make it easier to adjust to the precise value needed. Very little movement of the pot goes a long way, but when you get there, sounds great!
Attached Thumbnails
Dbx 902 De-Esser black sides vs. silver sides-900-rack.jpg  
Old 5th May 2015
  #39
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
Exactly that, the silver can is the DBX2001 this is the only true (202 pinout) 'class A' VCA, and the black and gold cans are class AB.

The black side has 'ganged IC' based VCA's

If you're hearing a difference, this is the place it will be, the canned VCA's drive in a more musical way.
Chiming in 2 years later...

Interestingly enough, in blind comparisons of 903s, the gold can were the most musical, followed by the very last ones with the "THAT" IC VCAs. In the 903s, the silver and un-potted version didn't sound all that different. The "class A is more musical" is a nice theory but doesn't always come out that way. The Neve 1081 was ALL class AB but "done properly" and sounds unbelievable, as are all API.

BTW: the unpotted versions aren't really ICs in the conventional sense, they are precision transistor arrays. Yeah, technically an IC but not really. My memory is fading but the ganged "ICs" either drop the noise floor or improve the linearity, it has been a while...

Last 2 cents here: the BSS rack compressors, sadly discontinued, have an excellent de-esser as well as being sweet comps. I would still take a 902 over anything else.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
droidtn / So Much Gear, So Little Time
24
jdier / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
wilcofan / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
11
Lord Fear / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump