The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What exactly is thefunction of the EFX on the SSL Duality? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Maniac

What exactly is thefunction of the EFX on the SSL Duality?

Hey guys I've been using an SSL Duality for a few months now and I'm still not 100% sure as to the function of the EFX function on the Duality. We use the EFX to track on the return side of the console so that during tracking we can use a personal monitoring system via the busses. I have read the operator manual and it is still a little fuzzy. I would like to know what the general function of EFX is in general so I can make better use of it in the future. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_gates00000 View Post
Hey guys I've been using an SSL Duality for a few months now and I'm still not 100% sure as to the function of the EFX function on the Duality. We use the EFX to track on the return side of the console so that during tracking we can use a personal monitoring system via the busses. I have read the operator manual and it is still a little fuzzy. I would like to know what the general function of EFX is in general so I can make better use of it in the future. Thanks in advance.
By assigning an EFX send to any buss/busses you open the door to 24 sends in a way. You only get one send control for them but you can pick 1 or up to all 24 with that single control. So for example 1-8 you could have compressors for parallel processing, 9-16 various reverbs/delays, 17-24 sends to ITB for interfacing plugins in your analog mix. Lots of possibilities.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

If you've ever used an SSL 4000, it's the rough equivalent of Floating the small fader to the Routing Matrix when they are set to pick up the output of the large fader.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

I know that you can use Mic AND Line input on each channels at the same time (are you talkin about this?)

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
I know that you can use Mic AND Line input on each channels at the same time (are you talkin about this?)

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
No, you're thinking of when you use the Cue ST as the volume and pan for "dual input" mode.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear
efx bus started i believe with the 9k as an extra aux bus. But only one per channel, it was really just a marketing ploy to differentiate the console with something novel but essentially redundant.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

OK so I don't understand what you're talking about but curious to know what's the EFX is.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Nut
but by using this function is the level of the EFX dependent on the LArge fader ie your returns from tape?
if so changing that (to adjust the mix you are listening to) will affect what the musician is hearing?

Mattia.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Maniac

So the EFX essentially can turn the Buss from a post-fader router to a pre-fader send and then I can use it that way. That makes sense and explains the title EFX. If I use two busses does that make it so that I can use the pan? In any case I think I just found a new toy for the TC 6000 and Bricasty . Thank for the clarification guys.

Quote:
but by using this function is the level of the EFX dependent on the LArge fader ie your returns from tape?
if so changing that (to adjust the mix you are listening to) will affect what the musician is hearing?
No when we use this function it make the stereo cue control the volume nob and independant of the channel fader meaning that I can make all the adjustments that I want and the musicians will never know .
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Here's the deal.

The Duality "only" has 4 FX Sends. Rather than add more, SSL allows you to, on a channel by channel basis, "convert" a Send to an EFX Send by disconnecting it from the Aux Buss normally associated with it and instead sends it up to what SSL calls Track Busses. These can then be patched to whatever you like, thereby theoretically creating 24 more Aux Sends.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_gates00000 View Post
So the EFX essentially can turn the Buss from a post-fader router to a pre-fader send and then I can use it that way. That makes sense and explains the title EFX. If I use two busses does that make it so that I can use the pan? In any case I think I just found a new toy for the TC 6000 and Bricasty . Thank for the clarification guys.

No when we use this function it make the stereo cue control the volume nob and independant of the channel fader meaning that I can make all the adjustments that I want and the musicians will never know .
even in SPLIT mode?
interesting!
Mattia.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Here's the deal.

The Duality "only" has 4 FX Sends. Rather than add more, SSL allows you to, on a channel by channel basis, "convert" a Send to an EFX Send by disconnecting it from the Aux Buss normally associated with it and instead sends it up to what SSL calls Track Busses. These can then be patched to whatever you like, thereby theoretically creating 24 more Aux Sends.

Hope this makes sense.
Which is the most ridiculous feature ever. You sacrifice an aux bus for a multed aux bus. Adds a bunch of unnecessary buttons and circuitry for what amounts to a mult. It is difficult to get your head around, which is what they counted on when marketing it.
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Head
Still not clear on this

Can someone explain a step by step scenario of some sort? Thanks in advance!
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

from the manual.......

DIRECT OUTPUTS AND EFX
The EFX system allows redundant auxiliary send controls to be used to control the channel’s send to the direct output. To employ EFX for any channel, select the auxiliary send control which is least likely to be needed in the channel (Stereo Cue, FX1 or FX2), and assign it to the EFX system:

TRACK BUSSES AND EFX:
The EFX system allows redundant auxiliary send controls to be used to control the channel’s send to the Track busses. To employ EFX for any channel, select the auxiliary send control which is least likely to be needed in the channel (Stereo Cue, FX1 or FX2), and assign it to the EFX system:

The selected gain pot will now allow you to adjust the level being sent to any active track busses.
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
TRACK BUSSES AND EFX:
The EFX system allows redundant auxiliary send controls to be used to control the channel’s send to the Track busses. To employ EFX for any channel, select the auxiliary send control which is least likely to be needed in the channel (Stereo Cue, FX1 or FX2), and assign it to the EFX system:

The selected gain pot will now allow you to adjust the level being sent to any active track busses.
Neat
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Head
Still no good, are these used to get another say another effect aux set up to send sources to?
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

It means you can use any spare channel as an extra aux bus, a useful routing option if you only have 4 aux sends
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Head
Ok, here's my dilemma, when I engage the efx in let's say fx4 on ch.24, select track bus 1 (green efx box). Now I put ch.25 on bus input and put it as bus1? Do I have to patch desired effects to this channel now? Or am I doing it wrong altogether?
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Yes that is wrong.
There is no need to bring bus 1 up on another channel, just use the patch bay to take the track bus 1 output into the input of one of your fx units
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Head
gotcha! Patchbay was labeled wrong, will try this out! Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search