The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BAE 10DC users experience
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

BAE 10DC users experience

Curious about a pair of these comps for 2 bus duties and individual instrument work. Would appreciate actual user comments only thanks
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

Anybody?
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I found it to sound very good on kick drum (strongly considering buying one for this purpose) and guitars. Very big and textured in a bubbly sort of way. I liked what it did in 2 buss character wise, but the units big flaw to me was what it did to snare drum. We couldn't find a usable setting for it on snare drum overe here and I didn't particularly like what it did to the snare on 2 buss. I could see other people not minding the 2 buss snare effect as much but on the snare track it was VERY unusable. Kinda bizarre actually. We didn't try it on bass but based on what it sounded like on kick and 2 buss, I'm sure it's pretty good for bass.
Old 5th January 2013
Gear Head

Interesting.
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
on the snare track it was VERY unusable. Kinda bizarre actually.
Wow I am a little shocked as 2264's are great on snare
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

It was surprising. It sounded much better than the distressor on kick, but couldn't touch the distressor on snare. And the distressor isn't that great on snare so that's not a good sign. The Mohog 1176 destroyed the distressor on snare for me (I sold them and picked up the mohog and couldn't be happier). I am actually going to try out the 10DC on kick again to make sure it can hack it alongside the mohog on snare.
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm still in the honeymoon with my pair of 10dc, I used it on program material, on the drum buss, vocals and ac gtrs, and I never experienced what Shelterr said.. of course ymmv..
It's possible that ALSO the limiter was engaged when you used it on the snare?so you were compressing (actually limiting) too much? Just a thought...

I think it's a fantastic compressor that is very versatile if you're looking for a fat, thick and creamy sounds. heh

Just passing the signal through it (without compressing), you benefit from the xformers and the class A stage, and playing around with the limiter and the gain makeup will yeld to ultra squashed drums without sounding dull.. and a big grin on your face heh
Also the layout is very well made, logical and easy to use..

I honestly liked every part of the 10dc.. thick and creamy, powerful, ballsy, musical..simply stunning..

Of course it's a grabby compressor and you could clearly hear what it does, so it's not the invisible compressor and it's not meant to be.. (If you need an invisible compressor you should get a Trakker or something like that..)

There are some clips in this thread: New BAE 10 DC Compressor/ Limiter

I think that they are very true to the nature of this compressor, fwiw they could let you hear/understand the compression behaviour, even if I strongly suggest to ask a dealer to ship them to you and have a listen with your ears in your room with your sense of aesthethics..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'm still in the honeymoon with my pair of 10dc, I used it on program material, on the drum buss, vocals and ac gtrs, and I never experienced what Shelterr said.. of course ymmv..
It's possible that ALSO the limiter was engaged when you used it on the snare?so you were compressing (actually limiting) too much? Just a thought...

I think it's a fantastic compressor that is very versatile if you're looking for a fat, thick and creamy sounds. heh

Just passing the signal through it (without compressing), you benefit from the xformers and the class A stage, and playing around with the limiter and the gain makeup will yeld to ultra squashed drums without sounding dull.. and a big grin on your face heh
Also the layout is very well made, logical and easy to use..

I honestly liked every part of the 10dc.. thick and creamy, powerful, ballsy, musical..simply stunning..

Of course it's a grabby compressor and you could clearly hear what it does, so it's not the invisible compressor and it's not meant to be.. (If you need an invisible compressor you should get a Trakker or something like that..)

There are some clips in this thread: New BAE 10 DC Compressor/ Limiter

I think that they are very true to the nature of this compressor, fwiw they could let you hear/understand the compression behaviour, even if I strongly suggest to ask a dealer to ship them to you and have a listen with your ears in your room with your sense of aesthethics..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
I liked the tone and attitude of the compressor quite a bit and I liked everything it did on 2 buss other than the snare. It wasn't like what it did to the snare on 2 buss was terrible but it was the only thing I didn't like about it. I liked what it did everything other than snare quite a bit. Tone machine for sure. On individual snare, truly couldn't find a usable setting. Limiter, no limiter, etc...tried everything with two other engineers here. Couldn't get anything good going. Like I said, pretty surprising. Probably gonna buy one shortly. Worried I may like it on guitars and need to buy 2...
Old 5th January 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for your input. Surprised there hasn't been more comments on these.
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Had a pair on loan and found it to be very fat sounding, gave me that typical neve girth when cranking the gain! For my style of hip hop etc a pair seemed to be too much for the overall mix unless i change my way of approach because i use a lot saturation and additional warming plugs for that emulated analog sound! (which is why im going for a fairly clean but not lifeless 2buss comp) On the other hand a mono unit would be best for me on sources like drum/bass/synth as this comp adds size, even engaging the unit in the chain seemed to add some iron in the signal.

Construction is solid but the thresh and gain knobs hurt my fingers (maybe i need to do more handy work lol)

This and a distressor would go along way!
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the input. I am still really curious about them for 2bus comps while mixing. Seems like few people actually have them.
Old 7th January 2013
I brought the 10DC over to client's studio and he would not let me leave with it. The amount of glue that was coming off the thing, prevented me from un-racking it
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
It was surprising. It sounded much better than the distressor on kick, but couldn't touch the distressor on snare. And the distressor isn't that great on snare so that's not a good sign. The Mohog 1176 destroyed the distressor on snare for me (I sold them and picked up the mohog and couldn't be happier). I am actually going to try out the 10DC on kick again to make sure it can hack it alongside the mohog on snare.
Horse's for courses.. but I've always found the distressor untouchable pretty much on snare compared to any 1176 derivative... including OG Rev f/g/h Blacks and a multitude of silvers I've used and owned over the years. Sometimes an LA2A does it but like always YMMV and if it sounds good then it is!

Wiggyheh
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

About to bit the bullet!!!

I think I'm about to drop a good $1600 on this guy. Been searching for a while for a good mojo tracking compressor. Can't imagine it's going to suck on kick, bass, guitar or vocals. I love the tone of the 2254/2264/33609, especially for the pop/rock genre that I mostly track.

I'm ready to go, got the money saved up and I was underwhelmed with the 500 series offerings. Only thing is whether to possibly go Chandler LTD-2 or VintageDesignC1, but surprisingly, they are more...right now BAE is offering the 10DC with PSU for $1600. I think that's my ticket.

Any thoughts?
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Done! I just called BAE directly. The guy was very nice and shared some other thoughts on it and its design.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Done! I just called BAE directly. The guy was very nice and shared some other thoughts on it and its design.
Great! Let us know how you like it..
My opinion is pretty clear already..

and I'll bet a swiss chocolate bar (seriously) that you're going to want another one badly after you hear/use this one.. (the second one will be even cheaper, since the pwr supply could power two units..another compressor or a 10xx series pre/eq).

If I'm wrong and you don't want another one after trying the 10DC, I'll be glad to ship to you a swiss chocolate bar.. heh

Cheu
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great! Let us know how you like it..
My opinion is pretty clear already..

and I'll bet a swiss chocolate bar (seriously) that you're going to want another one badly after you hear/use this one.. (the second one will be even cheaper, since the pwr supply could power two units..another compressor or a 10xx series pre/eq).

If I'm wrong and you don't want another one after trying the 10DC, I'll be glad to ship to you a swiss chocolate bar.. heh

Cheu
Sounds good Cheu. I'm actually glad to hear from you, you've been very vocal about the 10dc and your posts helped make my decision for me. I had been looking for some time, obviously considering the 1176, distressor, Slate Dragon. Idk why, but I'm feeling good about this. I've already got 2 pairs of VCA style compression, 2 channels of Opto, then some FMR stuff and every compressor done by UAD. I really wanted a tracking compressor with a lot of mojo/color in the classic sense that was ready for DAW work, which the 10dc is.

Thanks again for chiming in!!
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Not a single other soul has anything to say about this seemingly badass piece of kit? Some of you have had it for some time now...nothing?! Kick drum, bass, vocal tracking? Anything I might not be aware of that I should be excited about once it's here?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds good Cheu. I'm actually glad to hear from you, you've been very vocal about the 10dc and your posts helped make my decision for me. I had been looking for some time, obviously considering the 1176, distressor, Slate Dragon. Idk why, but I'm feeling good about this. I've already got 2 pairs of VCA style compression, 2 channels of Opto, then some FMR stuff and every compressor done by UAD. I really wanted a tracking compressor with a lot of mojo/color in the classic sense that was ready for DAW work, which the 10dc is.

Thanks again for chiming in!!
No problem! heh
I was one of the first in Europe to buy a pair, so I felt that I had to spill the beans and let everybody know about something that sounds like this.. Avedis is a freaking genius!

I hope I helped you out, and I hope that you'll like it as much as I do..
It will complement well your arsenal, and it should be a staple in every studio IMHO..

Can't wait to hear back from you..

Cheu
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anything I might not be aware of that I should be excited about once it's here?
I am only familiar with Neve 2264's but if the BAE is anything like those you have plenty to be excited about. 2264's rule. The different ratios and release settings including the 2 auto settings make the compressor extremely versatile and the limiter is just as cool as the compressor so it is like getting two units for the price of one. They make everything you run through them sound more 3D than before they went in. They are the best compressors for dealing with a track that is flat sounding. Brings them to life big time. 1.5/1 ratio on bass with either the fastest release or one of the auto settings is great. 1.5/1 and 2/1 ratios are great on snare. The limiter is great for giving snare some more attack. Auto 2 setting with 1.5/1 - 3/1 ratios are amazing on strings. Oh yeah they rock on Vocals as well. I can go on and on about these things.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem! heh
I was one of the first in Europe to buy a pair, so I felt that I had to spill the beans and let everybody know about something that sounds like this.. Avedis is a freaking genius!

I hope I helped you out, and I hope that you'll like it as much as I do..
It will complement well your arsenal, and it should be a staple in every studio IMHO..

Can't wait to hear back from you..

Cheu
I will most certainly keep you posted!! It says it will be here on Monday...
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I am only familiar with Neve 2264's but if the BAE is anything like those you have plenty to be excited about. 2264's rule. The different ratios and release settings including the 2 auto settings make the compressor extremely versatile and the limiter is just as cool as the compressor so it is like getting two units for the price of one. They make everything you run through them sound more 3D than before they went in. They are the best compressors for dealing with a track that is flat sounding. Brings them to life big time. 1.5/1 ratio on bass with either the fastest release or one of the auto settings is great. 1.5/1 and 2/1 ratios are great on snare. The limiter is great for giving snare some more attack. Auto 2 setting with 1.5/1 - 3/1 ratios are amazing on strings. Oh yeah they rock on Vocals as well. I can go on and on about these things.
Exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking to get out of everyone. These are the things I want to try out right off the cuff when I unpack it. I can certainly find my own stuff later, but hearing the people who have worked with the originals or this guy and knowing of their findings give me at least some light when shooting in the dark, although I do have a sense of where this guy is going to live as far as functionality within my studio.

It's surprising to hear that the limiter does what it does on snare, I would think such a fast attach would keep the snare from blossoming, or choke it up. Also someone else on here who tried it on snare on here wrote that he wasn't really happy with it. Either case, I'm set with snare, but still good to know, so thanks for that!!

I'm actually most excited for vocals, heavy guitar and kick. Right now I use the UAD 33609 a lot on guitars and having worked with real versions of the 1176 and La2a, I know how close their plug-ins are, so if this guy is any kind of clue to the type of magic I'll experience like the 33609 is on guitars when mixing, then I'm going to be one happy camper. I've also heard clips of vocals before and after...all I can say is the vocal attain a more finished sound for sure. Top end seems to gain some gloss, not brighter, just polished, mids seem to widen a bit and the lows seem to become richer, fuller, but not tubby...it seems like the best of all worlds with regard to frequency spectrum. Lastly, for kick drum I tend to use both a Beta91 and Beta52. The 91 can sound plasticky, so I'm excited to hear what the 10dc can do for it on kick...

Anyone else?
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Guru

I think I finally need to demo a pair. BAE is local and heck if I'm dropping 6.5k on some 2264's which I love to death.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I think I finally need to demo a pair. BAE is local and heck if I'm dropping 6.5k on some 2264's which I love to death.
You should def check them out, if 2264's are that expensive, then you owe it to yourself to check out the 10dc...I really have a hard time believing it's going to suck...fabulous intro price right now too!!
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

She's in...

Hey guys,

So, I got the 10dc in. First thing...it looks fantastic...no way anybody who's even seen a Neve won't notice this guy in the rack and say something. Makes me want to give him/her a name. Don't know which way I'm going though...what's a good 'British' female name? Shelley? I think that's fitting...lol...

Ok, enough of that...

I got home from work and I had to teach a voice lesson right away, so I had to grab a quick mic/pre combo, plug it into the 10dc and just get going. What I ended up grabbing was my Advanced Audio cm48fet, which is Dave's 3-pattern 47fet clone. It uses a k47 capsule and has a transformer. Preamp was a Daking. I fiddled with the knobs after setting my gain on the Daking and instantly heard the difference in tone. It's a sweetness, a forgiving nature that helps make sources just sound balanced and...right. Rudy, the student that comes on Monday nights, has a very bright and forward sound, many would consider him nasal sounding. I didn't get this sense with the 10dc in the chain, which is saying a lot because the 47 tends to accent mids on people and the Daking has that upper mid push that would generally sound, for the most part, not ideal for singers with the type of tone this student has.

So anyway, I started at 3:1, but for some reason, that felt too agressive. Went down to 2:1 and loved it!! Heaven, smooth, rich, helped Rudy dig in and it took it...I mean, 8-12db of gain reduction and it was still butter. No pumping or anything. However, getting the release right is where the artistry lies with this compressor. Where you tell it to 'let go of it already' is where you can really make a track shine. Hated the limiter on when tracking vocals, but I'm thinking I might like on something like bass. Rudy also sounded even more in tune with the 10dc in the chain. When I took it out, all of sudden it was the same kid I'm used to. Put it back in, no pitch correction needed. What's up with that?

I can't wait to try it with my c12 clone into both my Vintech and Burl pres. I bet these will be real winners. May even add another compressor in the mix so the 10dc isn't clamping down so hard. I've got guitars this Friday, so I'll also get a chance to try it then...

I'll report back, but so far I'm loving it even in un-ideal conditions of having to pick gear on the fly.
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Congrats silk! I'm sure you'll be incredibly happy. This unit looks great.we run an old neve console 2264 pair that are amazing and these are quite similar. One thing that's nice is you have an adjustable attack, something not available on the old originals like ours. Enjoy!
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
Congrats silk! I'm sure you'll be incredibly happy. This unit looks great.we run an old neve console 2264 pair that are amazing and these are quite similar. One thing that's nice is you have an adjustable attack, something not available on the old originals like ours. Enjoy!
Thanks!! I've thus far really liked the fastest attack on vocals, but I bet on a more percussive source, I would enjoy a slower attack. I like 100 release for vocals as well.

I did get a chance to try my c12/251 last night. Chain was a Vintech 1272, RJR buss comp(2:1, .3 att, auto rel, lundahls switched in), 10dc, ISA220(using EQ only - and honestly, I needed to do less than ever, we're talking just a touch of high shelf at 6.9k), then my Ross Martin converter. Everything I sang just sounded fuller, richer, more finished. I'm sure that's to be expected, but it was just right to my ears. Haven't had to mix it into a track yet, but that'll come.

I just like that if I want to use a faster preamp, I can do so right after the mic, but I can still use the compressor and get the Neve sound on every track if I want. Why I would ever track a source without it is beyond me, but I also don't want to just be a trigger happy chap with a new toy and just overuse it just because I have it now. Something tells me even if I do it won't be a bad thing!
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

You are now enjoying the world of high end analog gear. You don't have to do any mangling. You just pick the right mic with pre and a touch of compression thru some iron and sit back and enjoy!

Have fun!
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
You are now enjoying the world of high end analog gear. You don't have to do any mangling. You just pick the right mic with pre and a touch of compression thru some iron and sit back and enjoy!

Have fun!
I'm starting to notice that's how it is...boy did I toil throughout the years...it sux!!
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Roundbadge,
Did you ever get your hands on a 10DC?

Really trying to justify getting a pair..

ok... I'm gonna get a pair anyway I just want a little reassurance before I spend all that money on dinner...
lol...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search