The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BAE 10DC users experience
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
hey guys!

anyone compared BAE 10DC with chandler LTD-2 (mastering or normal version) ???
i read many info here but no one mentioned the chandler as comparison…
I personally find the LTD-2 to be way smoother than the 10DC. The 10DC can be quite aggressive. For vocals the LTD-2 is killer - the 10DC shines on more percussive sources.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
How is it on Bass as well ? ANyone use the limit mode for uneven Bass players ?
The limiter is very touchy and I wouldn't use it on bass myself. I have tried, but it just doesn't work very well for bass. The compressor section is nice though.

Actually I am having a hard time finding much use for the limiter section at all, other than with the compressor and very, very lightly to catch the occasional over.

Anyone having better success with the limiter section and care to share some uses, settings, etc...?

The Ghost
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

Curious. for those who know or have both, how does the BAE 10DC compare to the 19" Chandler Germ Comps?
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
The limiter is very touchy and I wouldn't use it on bass myself. I have tried, but it just doesn't work very well for bass. The compressor section is nice though.

Actually I am having a hard time finding much use for the limiter section at all, other than with the compressor and very, very lightly to catch the occasional over.

Anyone having better success with the limiter section and care to share some uses, settings, etc...?

The Ghost
You have to understand that it's designed as an old broadcast limiter, so the output gain is PRE (before) the limiter, and either in fast or "slow" mode it's still very fast.. differences are few ms away.
That said I'd use it for shaping or smashing things like drums or vocals (or just about anything).. so more as an fx so to speak than a real limiter.. then blend that to original non processed source to taste or print it.
The more you push the gain the more you smash it against the threshold, and the more you colour the sound with that fantastic gain..use these information as a plus..I wouldn't use it as a limiter usually works..(unless if some light limiting is needed).. think outside the box heh

Of course it won't work on every source or on everything..taste and goal dependent..
The compressor part of it is for sure more versatile, but the limiter might be a good fx addition for some sources.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront2K View Post
And just to add what also makes them so great is they're a pleasure to work with. You can & quickly reconfigure them never having to worry about returning to your original setting because all the controls are stepped and easily repeatable. Not only are they beautifully built but they look awesome.
Good Luck

so....
compared to the new 10DCF....?

curious..
Old 7th April 2016
In the short time I have used the 10dc , I understand why the 10dcf was made. Working in heavier LF genres, using an external sidechain for mixbus compression was great. Parallel crushing room mics as well as bass. With the 10dcf, I could see a lot more use with direct or insert compression. This a colorful comp with attitude and can be the perfect tool to complement hybrid mixes/ ITB mixes. If I were to purchase new today 10dcf all the way Hope this helps
Old 9th April 2016
AB3
Lives for gear

Surprised that the Buzz DBC-20 does not get mentioned. I was not crazy about it on vocals, but it is great on percussion.
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Nut

DBC-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Surprised that the Buzz DBC-20 does not get mentioned. I was not crazy about it on vocals, but it is great on percussion.
2 years later... For what it’s worth (and for the record) I just got a DBC-20 (because after using/hearing a 2264alb I needed a diode bridge compressor in my rack) and I absolutely love it on vocals. UM17R>273>DBC20=Oh my f#@%ing god!
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Two years here with the 10DC on the 2 bus as well as tracking guitars, bass and processing a wide variety of tracks. I keep a pretty small stable of outboard gear and this box proves its worth to me all the time. It's rare that there's not a setting that helps the two bus mix.
Old 13th March 2018
Pair of 10DCF's here. I too see why the filter was put in - it's essential for genres with big low end (which is practically every genre these days, like it or not).

I absolutely love these things for tracking and 2-buss work.
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Head

1.5 years with two BAE 10dcf. I use it whenever I'm looking for some "weight". It's not like the Neves but I wouldn't say it's better or worse, and in the end I couldn't care less as it quickly became a weapon of choice. I often use it for drumbuss or drums parallel, sometimes single sources or mixbuss. MB only if I'm looking for that extra punch though, can get a bit too colored depending on the program.. But if thats what I'm looking for it gets the job done. I also love that it is quite easy to find the right settings.
If I had to describe it I'd say its well build, medium-heavy colored, punchy and sometimes just!!! Not as versatile as a Distressor but definitely no one trick pony either. If you're looking for something clean and transparent this is not for you. If you love some "oomph" - here you go. The price for a stereo pair is a steal.
Old 26th May 2019
New DC10's

Just picked up a pair. Can't wait to put them to work this week on a Bruce Cochburn meets Eric Clapton style album.
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

I use a pair of 10DCFs on mix bus a lot and love them. I tend to use them gently for a "glue" type effect on a slow attack with the filter engaged (no limiter, usually), but they are also very useful for other things. For example, I have used the short attack times on synths and drums for a certain type of percussive sound. I've also completely abused them in limit mode to create heavy distortion for industrial music. They can go from very gentle to super in your face.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search