The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit Audio Stuff
Old 30th July 2006
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Summit Audio Stuff

Opinions please. Thinking here of their high-end 2 channel tube preamp and their one channel lline/DI/Tube preamp. Thanks....
Old 30th July 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
edvdr76's Avatar
Summit makes great stuff. I have 2 DCL 200 tube compressors which are great. Those go with me everywhere I go. I've never used their pres but I've heard they are great too. For your di box, you might want to try out the Avalon U5. That is a great box.
Old 30th July 2006
  #3
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Great company with extremely under-rated gear.
Old 30th July 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Chris Parsons's Avatar
 

Love their tube DI and TLA-100 comp (very La2a but more control)
Old 30th July 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

summit stuff

in an l.a. studio i once spent years in there was a dcl200 and by far was my favorite comp.box worked on everything i threw at it , very, very good. Summit is strange because it doesnt seem to be as well known as it should, very simmilar to avalon but much more versatile stuff....i dare say the dcl200 may be my "desert island" comp..bold statement i know...but it was that good.
Old 30th July 2006
  #6
I luuv the TLA-100's and EQP-200
Old 30th July 2006
  #7
Gear Addict
Got my MPC-100a a few years ago and loved it ever since. I really like the compressor on it. Tweak it all you want,it sounds good at any setting, just a matter of tone,taste.
Old 30th July 2006
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

I have their MPC100. Tried it on vocals, snare and was underwhelmed. A while later I tried it on bass-cab... holy smokes! It's staying there Compressor on it is good stuff. Pre seems to be on the 'dull' side, hence I didn't really like it on vocals, where I'm looking for an airy sound most of the times.
Old 30th July 2006
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu
Got my MPC-100a a few years ago and loved it ever since. I
What's your favorite application?
Old 30th July 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
lemix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76
Summit makes great stuff. I have 2 DCL 200 tube compressors which are great. Those go with me everywhere I go.
1 DCL-200 here as well
Solid, simple and high quality.
Wouldn't chose it as my only compressor though...

good luck,
Old 30th July 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

I've used a older TLA100...fantastic piece of gear. Almost impossible to screw up...great for tracking.

What is the sound characteristic of the DCL, I've heard it's dark and wooly.
Old 30th July 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
lemix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
What is the sound characteristic of the DCL, I've heard it's dark and wooly.
Dark ? ..not, at least to my old ears
Please define "wooly"
Old 30th July 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 

I might use those words, but to my ears, the 200 added heft, but also pushed things back a bit. Does that make sense? It gave tracks I threw at it some gravity, and yet some distance.

Sometimes that was just what was needed, sometimes, it was so wrong.

A nice flavor for the rack if you have other stuff, but wouldn't be my desert island piece.

- proxy
Old 30th July 2006
  #14
i used the original 2 channel pre for a few years.

at first , we weren't getting what we wanted out of the unit,
then we replaced their chinese tubes
with vintage american tubes, and the thing rocked.

used it mostly for jazz horns and vocals.

definitely worth a shot, imo
Old 30th July 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
PhilE's Avatar
EQP200 is sweet- don't know the other stuff- uncool brand but I have no idea why
Old 30th July 2006
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilE
EQP200 is sweet- don't know the other stuff- uncool brand but I have no idea why
Sorta like what happened to Tubetech.

Back in the early to middle 90's they weren't.


Heck every major studio had one of each in their racks.

I guess when the tube fad faded and people learned that its more than tubes(like transformers) that give you fat sounds they waned.

I liked the TLA 1000 albeit its a little noisy.

The mic pres have their own place in productions.


The DCL200 i found boring and unversatile. It has no mojo like the TLA100. Similar to the comparison of the TT CL1B and LCA-2B. It couldn't make the cut for me in my racks so i sold years ago.


The EQP200 is still in use in my studio today. Nice EQ.
Old 31st July 2006
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Sorta like what happened to Tubetech.

Back in the early to middle 90's they weren't.


Heck every major studio had one of each in their racks.
I always wonder if the difference is Dave Hill. I mean you are 100% correct, back in the day (early to mid 90's) their stuff was everywhere then Dave and the company had a falling out then they dropped off the radar. I hear from others that the new Summit stuff just does not have the same vibe that it did back then. Knowing how high the quality is of the Crane Song gear I can imagine this could be true.

Anyway I have not used any of their newer stuff but the early 90's Dave Hill designs are very very nice.

If I were buying new I think I would go with Crane Song first, even though it is not tube that might have more of the vibe you are looking for.

Good luck.
Old 31st July 2006
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I always wonder if the difference is Dave Hill. I mean you are 100% correct, back in the day (early to mid 90's) their stuff was everywhere then Dave and the company had a falling out then they dropped off the radar. I hear from others that the new Summit stuff just does not have the same vibe that it did back then. Knowing how high the quality is of the Crane Song gear I can imagine this could be true.

Anyway I have not used any of their newer stuff but the early 90's Dave Hill designs are very very nice.

If I were buying new I think I would go with Crane Song first, even though it is not tube that might have more of the vibe you are looking for.

Good luck.

Well that's part of it i am sure.

Its also the internet.

Lets face it...with forumns like this its harder now to buy something you are not sure of.

Back in the day we were more apt to buy and try things blind.

So a dealer could push something totally unheard of and appeal to your experimental side(not like in doesn't happen here sometimes).

But to give credit where its due manufacturers or dealers would still show up to the studio with the latest gear to get thoughts and hopefully make a sale they could promote with.

I mean you could get some serious deals as a first timer that you can't get these days(or i guess i don't...oh well).

Also here as in other places there are tons of people you could ask for advice.

And hopefully the advice is right on.
Old 31st July 2006
  #19
Gear Head
 

All I can say is I'm very happy with my TLA 50 tube leveler. Fattens the bass and vocals, punches it through, a great piece.

Darius
Old 31st July 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

My EQP-200 is a great EQ, and a great value for a shaping, classic-sounding EQ. I also love working with the DCL200 comp, and their levelling amplifiers. Good stuff, though I have not worked with any of the new (last five year) designs.
Old 31st July 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiff
I have a DCL200 & it's a nice compressor in my humble opinion.

I'd like to have it serviced though.
I've contacted Summit with no reply as yet .

Is there anyone in the UK / Europe that service Summit gear ?
If you have any EE skills, it is a pretty straightforward recalibration procedure if all you need is recalibration or replacing tubes. I'd contact Summit again for the information. If they can't get you a qualified service location, they should either take it themselves or send you the information.
Old 31st July 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 

The EQ unit I used in the mid 1990s had a blurry sonic quality to it. But I have a TLA-50 and like it a lot for bass and electric guitar. It has a fat sound.

Has anyone used the TD100 or 2BA-221? If so, what was your impression of these boxes?
Old 31st July 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
indie's Avatar
 

Agreed on the TLA-50...it's really nice on bass and electric gtr..some vocals too.thumbsup
Old 31st July 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix
Dark ? ..not, at least to my old ears
Please define "wooly"
To me "wooly" would be a loose dark bottom end...I guess I should have said that in the first place.
Old 31st July 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 

I've had great experiences with their stuff. I've got 2 Dual Program EQ's (I believe that they were early EQP200s), a TLA100a and TPA100a. Use them all the time.

Service from Summit has been great as well. Recently I had a power bulb go out on my TPA so I emailed Summit. Paul Grove got in touch with me and sent me a bunch of spares for all my gear and meter bulbs for the TLA...no charge.

Not that bulbs are terribly expensive but it was a great gesture.
Old 31st July 2006
  #26
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I always wonder if the difference is Dave Hill. I mean you are 100% correct, back in the day (early to mid 90's) their stuff was everywhere then Dave and the company had a falling out then they dropped off the radar. I hear from others that the new Summit stuff just does not have the same vibe that it did back then...
Yeah, I've heard the same things...

Though really, I don't know what Summit would've or even could've changed between the days of Dave & now.

I've had an EQP-200a and a newer DCL-200 in my racks for a few years...

The EQ is fukkin' great!

You'd HAVE to pry it from my cold dead hands at this point.

It's not a classic Pultec...nor is it like the Tube Tech's...but it's got enough of the vibe really...it's waaaaaaaay hard to make it sound bad. I've used some newer EQP's and didn't like them as much. The differences in the usability of high bands...whew!

The DCL was/has been my main 2-buss compressor for the last four of five years and really, I dig it a lot. I wouldn't describe it as "wooly" but it definatly has a tone to it...not unlike the Crane Song gear which has a tone too but the overall vibe is beyond description IMO...

Not clean...

Maybe 'euphoric midrange' fits?

Overall though it's a decent piece of kit IMO. I can best describe the compression characteristic as 'smooth & even' rather then 'hard & grabby' like an SSL comp. It's got less of "a sound" then that family or say, a Vari-Mu or the Dakings. Besides 2-mix, during tracking the DCL has also made it's way onto lots of acoustic guitar, vocals, drum room & overheads, Leslie cabs...a little bit of everything...and it always manages to be anywhere from 'ok' to 'great'.
Old 31st July 2006
  #27
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
What's your favorite application?
Distorted guitar cabs.
Old 31st July 2006
  #28
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

The DCL200 is a great compressor for certain applications. I have found it incredible on some things, and not so great on others.
Old 31st July 2006
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Well that's part of it i am sure.

Its also the internet.

Lets face it...with forumns like this its harder now to buy something you are not sure of.

Back in the day we were more apt to buy and try things blind.

So a dealer could push something totally unheard of and appeal to your experimental side(not like in doesn't happen here sometimes).

But to give credit where its due manufacturers or dealers would still show up to the studio with the latest gear to get thoughts and hopefully make a sale they could promote with.

I mean you could get some serious deals as a first timer that you can't get these days(or i guess i don't...oh well).

Also here as in other places there are tons of people you could ask for advice.

And hopefully the advice is right on.
Yes great point, this is so true.

A friend of mine in the mid 90's ended up with a dual Oram preamp EQ because he heard about it in a mag someplace and he was in the market for a EQ / preamp pair.

Back then there were no sound clips, no real community to ask questions of, no on line reviews etc. If someone says they are the "Father Of British EQ" and you don't have any sources around to ask... well... (ended up that the Oram unit was okay.)

Interestingly enough back then it was really hard to get out of gear that you wanted to sell.. imagine selling an Oram pre / EQ unit in an average to small sized city in the U.S. without the Internet...
Old 31st July 2006
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
I've had an EQP-200a and a newer DCL-200 in my racks for a few years...

The EQ is fukkin' great!

You'd HAVE to pry it from my cold dead hands at this point.
The freak'n EQP-200a ROCK's.... great unit!!!!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4 views: 1949
Avatar for FRANK BOOTH
FRANK BOOTH 12th June 2003
replies: 18 views: 7721
Avatar for baze sax
baze sax 9th September 2010
replies: 2060 views: 328361
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 3 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump