The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit Audio Stuff
Old 31st July 2006
I have a TLA 100a. I've noticed when I patch it in it dulls things down, I've done a/b tests just multing a source and having a channel patched into the TLA 100 in bypass.
It rolls some top off. I assume I have a post Dave Hill model. I remember renting a TLA100 and a DCL 200 years earlier and loving them both. I don't love mine but will
use it on anything I deem edgy.
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Great company with extremely under-rated gear.
Maybe in the US but here in Europe they are highly prized, sell quite well and my (and others) first choice- esp the DCL200.

DCL200 into the Red3 is my favourite 2 bus treatment.

JR
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
Maybe in the US but here in Europe they are highly prized, sell quite well and my (and others) first choice- esp the DCL200.

DCL200 into the Red3 is my favourite 2 bus treatment.

JR
I've tried that combo on the 2 bus. I use the Red 3 to handle the dynamics and the Summit to give it the HUGE and WARM sound. Great combo.thumbsup
Old 1st August 2006
Gear Head

Summit gear rockz

I've heard all the history regarding David Hill and so forth. Big deal. People in business together argue all the time and often end up parting ways. I know Paul Grove and Eric Papp. The simple fact is that all of the Summit gear completely rocks. I have an old TPA-200a. We can't make that box sound bad. It dares you to use a cheap mic. And then the tracks still rock. Big fat tube and Jensen transformer sound with the rock-solid 990 output stage. My engineer sleeps with our DCL-200 under his pillow. It's our main bus compressor. Then right behind the DCL is a pair of TLA-50's for individual track fattening. The tracks aren't the only thing getting fat when we use those things. Chub-chub-char-roo! Then there's those damned 2BA-221 mic pre's. Fast and detailed. Need some tube harmonics? Just turn the knob. Need a spare line amp? It does this too. Then there's the TD-100 tube direct box. We have two of them. I've been building tube guitar amps and recording guitars for over twenty years. I have all sorts of boxes and gizmo's for recording guitar. The TD's pretty much blow them all away. Just clean and solid. Not necessarily colored. They're like a laboratory-style amplifier for physics research or something..... but they're musical and not dry. I'm breaking in our new pair of FeQ-50's right now. First impressions..... Wow! Fairly subtle but you're definitely getting nice EQ action. And I haven't even mentioned my three TMX-420's yet. I need to get one of their EQP-200's or the Rupert MPE-200 or the new Rupert EQ-200. DW.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

I also have the TLA 100a and will never part with it , other pres/comps have come and gone but this one has hang around from the beginning ! Even though it is not my go too pre for every situation it has saved my ass more than once , especially on singers with tiny/mousey voices where a pristine pre will just bring out all the blemishes , this one does a good job of smoothing them over ! The comp is hard to make sound bad , and fantastic for tracking with great control , it is my comp for my other pres as an insert .........

Always loved summit stuff , i think why they might get passed over today as opposed to the 90's is that 'tubes' are not the only way to achieve a 'warm' sound if they ever were , and maybe they do not look as funky as some other boxes.....
Old 1st August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubemooley
I've heard all the history regarding David Hill and so forth. Big deal. People in business together argue all the time and often end up parting ways.

The big deal in this case would be.... hummmm ...... oh..... I don't know ....... maybe the supper high quality design and work that Dave Hill brings to the table perhaps?

LOL

heh

Look I am not knocking the Summit stuff, I like what I have used but there is no denying that Dave's work with Crane Song is top of the top shelf. When he left Summit you can't honestly think that Summit didn't loose something in the deal. You can't lose a designer of that quality and not suffer a little setback in some area not to mention the fact that other members of the design team left Summit with him to go to Crane Song.

Yes I would say that losing someone like Dave from your design team is in fact a big deal, not the end of the company obviously but it had some effect.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a pair of MPC 100A's - had 'em for eight years now and they're fantastic:

Great for direct bass and guitar, great as a mic pre and superb as a compressor (dark colored retro vibe).

Ed
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubemooley
Then there's those damned 2BA-221 mic pre's. Fast and detailed. Need some tube harmonics? Just turn the knob. Need a spare line amp? It does this too. Then there's the TD-100 tube direct box. We have two of them.
Can you elaborate on the 2BA-221 and TD-100? I have been looking at the 2BA and would like to heart more about it. Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2006
Gear Addict

how about the 2BA-221 and TLA-50 Combo. Is anyone using these to track vocals? If so, what are your results. I am in the market for a Channel strip (possibly SPL Track One or Channel One or Drawmer MX60) but am also considering these two as an option. Thanks.

Mickey
Old 5th August 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR74
how about the 2BA-221 and TLA-50 Combo. Is anyone using these to track vocals? If so, what are your results. I am in the market for a Channel strip (possibly SPL Track One or Channel One or Drawmer MX60) but am also considering these two as an option. Thanks.

Mickey
I have used that combo with very good results.
Old 9th August 2006
Gear Addict

I am looking at the Summit EQP200. What category does it fit in? Surgical or otherwise?

Thanks
Old 9th August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
I am looking at the Summit EQP200. What category does it fit in? Surgical or otherwise?

Thanks
I would say otherwise.

Its not heavily colored and its not sterile either.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

I think my EQP200 is a "shaping" EQ with a touch of color. Thats why it is so damn good. Surgical it is NOT. Period.
Old 21st May 2010
Gear Head

Do NOT forget these amazing half-rack units....2ba-221 is an amazing preamp for everything....tubey/solid fat,and can add some nice colour
small size,axcellent price..NOT noisy
Old 21st May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmekGuy View Post
Has anyone used the TD100 or 2BA-221? If so, what was your impression of these boxes?
I love the 2BA-221 for bass tracking. it has a tube gain stage that just fattens things up nicely. also rocks on vocals with a SM7 adding a touch of the tube stage and setting the variable impedance just right.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

SUMMIT....Great people...great stuff.
Old 21st May 2010
Gear Head

I've had an MPC-100 for over 15 years. I've always dug it on many things. Like most any piece of gear it's all about the right tool for the right job and it certainly is inspiring in many roles.

What has been most impressive to me over the years is the absolutely stellar support I have always gotten from Summit. Twice over the years a VU lamp and then a power lamp have burned out. Both times after a call to them they volunteered to send me the replacement lamps completely free of charge. The second time (about a year ago) they even sent me a couple spares. I've never ran across another company that has sent me free spare parts 15 years after the sale. All I can say is they have a loyal customer for life.

Another time about 5 years after I bought it one of the pots got quite sticky. It still worked okay but didn't seem right. So I'm on the phone with them about it. They have me crack it open to tell them some info off the back of the pot. Sure enough it was from a bad batch of parts. I sent it back to them and they replaced all the bad ones even the ones that had not gotten sticky completely free of charge. I only paid for shipping to them.

They certainly know how to build and maintain customer loyalty IMHO.

Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

I rented Summit gear on several occasions and liked the pre ..one with the overdrive pot. You can get somewhat creative with it.
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

I have an MPC-100A, and it kicks on bass DI.

I opened it up and noticed a nice jensen transformer... as well as some easy access tube sockets, which i have not yet felt a need to replace since the unit sounds fantastic.

I mainly use it as a bass DI and have never felt a need for anything else...

I have used it for vocals in sequence with a mercury eq-p1 and then a distressor before going digital and it sounded great.... however, I usually go for a nice xfmr I/O'd pre for vox.

I love the unit, and it will forever remain in my racks.
📝 Reply