The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A&R Recordings, New York.
Old 27th July 2006
Gear Maniac

A&R Recordings, New York.

Hi y'all!

Does anyone know anything about what desk was used at A&R Recordings in New York, around 1977?

Just trying to find out what was behind the sound of Billy Joels "Stranger". Amazing drum sounds!

Would be appreciated...=)

/R
Old 27th July 2006
member no 666

There were a couple of room at A&R... IIRC there was like 1 or 2 8068's or maybe they were 8088's and I think an 8078. It's been damn near 20 years since the joint shut down... that's a lot of miles, a lot of drink and more than a couple doses of narcotic to try to remember what the hell some NY studio had for an equipment list so please don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

Peace.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

I thought Joel's The Stranger was tracked at Baby Monster Studios on 14th street thru their 8068? Am I wrong?
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Liberty DeVito

Phil Ramone

BTW, Sorcerer Sound has part of one of the 8068's for a custum desk, and I think they are out of business and selling gear.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Many talents on that album. I think even Richard Tee played on Hammond in the gospel song; Everybody has a dream. Nice perc and acoustic gtrs too. It´s would be interesting to get a little info on the recording side, what gear was used. And how .

Kalli
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsson
Just trying to find out what was behind the sound of Billy Joels "Stranger". Amazing drum sounds!
I just listened to that record about 2 hours ago. I love Billy Joel's old stuff. thumbsup
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
I just listened to that record about 2 hours ago. I love Billy Joel's old stuff. thumbsup
I found a few 70's performances by Billy Joel on Youtube. He was amazing back then. It's a must see for fans.

Kalli
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
I thought Joel's The Stranger was tracked at Baby Monster Studios on 14th street thru their 8068? Am I wrong?
The 14street Baby Monster started up in 1989 or 1990 after the "Manhattan Recording Co." folded.

Not an 8068 but an 8024 or something like that.

During the"Manhattan Recording Co." days, they had a Trident 80 something or other.

A&R had a few locations. For a while, I think in the 70s, they were at 322 w48 street in NYC. Now the home of Local 802 AF of M. A man named Major Little was a staff engineer there and when the union bought the building from A&R, Major stayed. Now he works for 802.

I can ask him about the old A&R days.

Other engineers/ producers in NY that where around then: Josh Abbey, Roger Rhodes, Warren Schatz, Joe Ferla, someone ought to remember what was in there.
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Head

Yeah, I would like to know more about the making of "The Stranger" as well=)
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone!

Yeah...I understand if it's hard to remember stuff like that...so many studios in NY and almost 30 years ago!

Judging on the sound of "The Stranger" I would have guessed it was done on an API though...it's got that API mid punchiness.

Anyway...thanks!=)

/R
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

Richie Cannata was a saxophonist on The Stranger. He knows alot about recording, in fact he owns a big studio on long island called "Cove City Sound". I don't think they have a website.
Old 29th July 2006
that whole record kicks butt, as do many of BJs records.

i hate to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but they SHHHORE
don't makem like they used to.

i'm sorry, but after all my hemming and hawing, and back and forth
with thrill and those guys, i think thrill is right -
musically, there's really nothing on the radio
presently that can hold a candle to that stuff.

that stuff is jus pure unadulterated musical genius,
and arrangement/ production and technical innovation.

AWESOME Go, BJ, wit chaw BAAAAAAAAAAAAD sewwf

i heard "my life" on the radio, yesterday - just amazing.
Old 29th July 2006
Lives for gear

didnt they remaster that album? Stranger?

my Billy Joel classic is still love the groove of Uptown Girl(innocent man lp) heh or maybe it was the uptown girl a dated. She hated when i sung it.
Old 29th July 2006
Lives for gear

in 1976 Richie Cannata did the solo in New York State of Mind. The song sounded dry and cool.

On greatest hits in 1985 there was a new solo by Mark Rivera (not nearly as good, more 80's) and the song sounded as it had been stuck inside a reverb chamber.

And on the latest greatest hits compilation they are still using the '85 version!

Who makes decisions like that ?

Kalli
Old 29th July 2006
Gear Nut

Wasn't this where Sinatras last "real" album was recorded? LA is my Lady?

/A
Old 29th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampen
Wasn't this where Sinatras last "real" album was recorded? LA is my Lady?

/A

I thought that was done at Westlake? I could be mistaken though.

Steve
Old 30th July 2006
Gear Nut

I think one song was redone in LA because Frank didn't like the key. heh

Calling in a new big band in another town after transposing the song down a step to do one song. thumbsup I think it was Stormy Weather.

Anyone know if it was in A&R they did most of it? I know Phil Ramone was the enigineer.

/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G
I thought that was done at Westlake? I could be mistaken though.

Steve
Old 31st July 2006
Gear Head

Yes, it was done in NYC at A&R, 799 7th Ave. I know LA Is My Lady was redone in LA - not sure about Stormy Weather.
Lou
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear
A&R at that time had the two locations... 2 studios in each building
the 7th ave location was the old CBS studios and the main room there A-1, was a great room.

one room at each location had a Neve (I think an 8068) and one room at each location had an MCI 500

7th Avenue studios were called A-1 and A-2
48th st studio were called R-1 and R-2

cute huh?
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
A&R at that time had the two locations... 2 studios in each building
the 7th ave location was the old CBS studios and the main room there A-1, was a great room.

one room at each location had a Neve (I think an 8068) and one room at each location had an MCI 500

7th Avenue studios were called A-1 and A-2
48th st studio were called R-1 and R-2

cute huh?
Geez. Come into our A room and drive a Ferrari, Goto the B room and drive a Pinto. Could they be any more different?

I guess you just cant always afford to have a Ferrari in both sides of the garage!
Old 31st July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
Geez. Come into our A room and drive a Ferrari, Goto the B room and drive a Pinto. Could they be any more different?

I guess you just cant always afford to have a Ferrari in both sides of the garage!

Even people who can't afford a Ferarri need to get around.
Old 31st July 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfarber
Richie Cannata was a saxophonist on The Stranger. He knows alot about recording, in fact he owns a big studio on long island called "Cove City Sound". I don't think they have a website.
Cove City in Long Island is owned by Rick Wake.
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Head

If memory serves A-1 had a Neve 8068 and R-1 and R-2 had Neve 8078s. All 3 rooms sounded amazing. R-1 was Phil Ramone's room. He did most of his work there. I did alot of work in A-1 and R-2. Fond memories. A&R also had a great mic collection, all the classic tube mics.

Joe
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
didnt they remaster that album? Stranger?

my Billy Joel classic is still love the groove of Uptown Girl(innocent man lp) heh or maybe it was the uptown girl a dated. She hated when i sung it.
I personally hated that song.
Old 17th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
I personally hated that song.
At any point in any thread about any band or artist someone will jump in with a negative comment.... always wondered why that is? Human nature I guess, part of the human condition.

Anyway.... I LOVE Billy Joel.... including Uptown Girl...... but to each his or her own.
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsson View Post
Hi y'all!

Does anyone know anything about what desk was used at A&R Recordings in New York, around 1977?

Would be appreciated...=)

/R
I worked across the street of A&R at RVI (Japanese owned studio two floors below Sear Sound) in 1990, which is when A&R had their walk thru sale.
Fender black face twin reverbs for $350, some outboard gear, tape machines, and compressors. Many mics stands especially the long boom stands....all so cheap. I was so broke working in NYC as an assitant @ $7.50 hr! With no OT pay, just straight time, that I couldnt even buy a used 57!
I dont remember seeing anything unique for sale or any console at the time...may have already been sold off.
The vintage Neve craze hadnt quite hit yet, it was still SSL Vs. Neve V series......
I remember visiting Sear Sound one day and thinking, "when is they guy going to get with it, this stuff is ancient...all this tube crap everywhere" LOL He was very proud of his Neve 8038 I think it was and all his vintage mics he kept on stands covered.
Actually Walter may know the whereabouts of the A&R stuff....google him, maybe he can provide some answers....
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

there was a Trdent 80 series in R-2 at one point... maybe around 1984... the L-shaped room that was used a lot for jingles. There were mics on goosenecks in the drum iso room... quick sounds when the clock is ticking.
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Guru

i think production choices, like where to put the mics and how to set the faders and which fx to put in which places, had way more to do with the sound of that record than the console it was run through.

what i love most about albums of that era is how well they come across on radio, how the optimod brings them to life and infuses them with attitude because there's so much room in the master for more squeeze. a few weeks back i heard scenes from an italian restaurant over the airwaves on a crappy car stereo, and i was floored at how punchy and clear the mix was, especially the drums in the uptempo section.

never been a billy joel fan, but i'm thinking now i need to revisit that era of his catalog.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear
Recorded at A and R back in 19701. Roy Cicala engineered the first time.....I think Phil did the second. Bob shad was the producer. Desk was definitely an 80 series Neve, not sure which though
Old 18th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Cove City in Long Island is owned by Rick Wake.
and Richie Cannata, as a matter of fact Rick bought into the place after Richies original partner Clay died. Richie and Clay used to also have a second place called Second City that is now owned by Perry Margoloff and is now know as Pie . Both very nice places

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search