The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A&R Recordings, New York.
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear
I know Ritchie is persona non grata in the BJ camp. would they have changed that for THAT reason? Seems so odd.

Lib is currently on the outs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr View Post
in 1976 Richie Cannata did the solo in New York State of Mind. The song sounded dry and cool.

On greatest hits in 1985 there was a new solo by Mark Rivera (not nearly as good, more 80's) and the song sounded as it had been stuck inside a reverb chamber.

And on the latest greatest hits compilation they are still using the '85 version!

Who makes decisions like that ?

Kalli
Old 4th December 2011
Gear Nut

Resurrection because I found this from A&R:

Frank Sinatra & The Quincy Jones Big Band - "After You've Gone" on Vimeo

Pretty nice line up.

/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampen View Post
Wasn't this where Sinatras last "real" album was recorded? LA is my Lady?

/A
Old 4th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Pretty nice line up.

/A
That's pretty badass!!
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Pretty nice line up.

/A
Man, Tony Bennett would have sounded SOOOOOOOOO much better on that track. Never got the Frank worship thing. Tony has always mopped the floor with him.
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict View Post
Man, Tony Bennett would have sounded SOOOOOOOOO much better on that track. Never got the Frank worship thing. Tony has always mopped the floor with him.
Careful man, you'll probably get a "terms of service" warning for bashing artists.
Old 16th December 2011
Gear Nut

Billy Joel Console

Hi Everybody
I'm Brad Leigh, I started working at A&R During 52nd street, Assisted on Glass Houses, Songs in the attic, and engineered on later Billy Joel and Ramone projects. Ryan K told me this topic was bouncing around so I figured I'd jump in.
When I started at A&R ( before 52nd street after the Stranger) the console in A1 was a Neve 8068 with Neve VCA grouping if you can believe that. ( Only one I ever saw ) Phil's personal room where it was mixed was a custom ( believe it went by the name Surburan Sound ) console. This was basically racks of Langavin AM-16 solid state amplifiers. They could be Line inputs Buss amps etc. You had to pretty much build your console with a huge patch Bay. I believe the common EQ was Melcor, or a rack of custom Roger Meyer EQ. Stranger and 52nd Street were both mixed on that console. Glass Houses was mixed on a 8068 in R-2.
Now I'm not positive the 8068 was in A during the stranger but I believe it was.
I remember hearing nightmare stories about it's predecessor, but I don't remember who made it. Consoles at A&R were as follows.
A-1 ????- about 1977 to close Neve 8068.
A-2 Suburban Sound ( Langavin w Melcor EQ ) then MCI 500 ( 1977)
R-1 Suburban Sound, followed by Neumann, followed, By MCI 500 ( 1977)
Followed by Trident 80, followed by Neve 8078 till close.
R-2 ( Phils Room ) Suburban Sound followed by Neve 8068-Necam
I'll see if I can find out what that first console in A-1 was and if it was used on B.J.
Brad
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Addict

Hey Brad, dusting off this old thread. The Console in A-1 mid 70s was an ADM.
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

A&R ...

I got a marshall "AR-300" #007 that always reminds be about that joint
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear
I recorded in A and R in I believe 1968 for producer Bob shad, owner of Mainstream Records. Phil engineered the first session., after that it was Roy Cicala.

Granted, it was a while ago, butI guess we were in studio A.....as drummer they always wanted to know if I wanted to use the bass drum they used on The Rascals...lol. It had an ingenius shock mount consisting of a huge rubber band that went around the lugs that floated a collar in the center of the front head with an RE20 in it.!!

I always was interested in gear....even at that point. The console was a small Neve.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
in 1976 Richie Cannata did the solo in New York State of Mind.
Wasn't that actually Phil Woods?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
in 1976 Richie Cannata did the solo in New York State of Mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
Wasn't that actually Phil Woods?

Phil Woods did the sax work on Just The Way You Are. I think the original solo for New York State Of Mind was Richie Cannata.

I agree with another poster here that the "updated" sax solo on that song (NYSOM) is not nearly as tasteful as the original.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Phil Woods did the sax work on Just The Way You Are. I think the original solo for New York State Of Mind was Richie Cannata.

I agree with another poster here that the "updated" sax solo on that song (NYSOM) is not nearly as tasteful as the original.

OK. Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search