The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a more specific avid HDN io vs symphony question Digital Converters
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Head

a more specific avid HDN io vs symphony question

I posted this in a couple different threads with no response. Basically, I'm deciding between PT HDN TB with avid i/o, or symphony i/o and thunderbolt. I'm staying with PT which many will probably say makes my decision for me. If the omni had more than 4x6 then it would be a no brainer, but 4 channels in is very limiting and makes it very expensive to add more either with 8x8x8 or the 16x16. I can't even take advantage of my rosetta 800 since technically it would just add i believe two more channels digitally going in. If it allowed me to access all 8 channels in/out from the rosetta then I'd jump for it, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I also don't have a console so wouldn't have a monitoring section with the other avid i/o options.

So, could I run PT HD software with the symphony and thunderbolt as if it were the PTN card? I understand avid with avid is bulletproof and the best option for stability, but if I can run the symphony/thunderbolt with the PTHD software and get the same (relatively) performance, I would save money and also have more options for expanding in the future for less $$. I'm not asking for ad/da quality differences, I'd be happy with either one. Please no avid vs apogee arguments - there's already millions of those threads. This is solely an inquiry for those in the know to possible save me money and get me what I need.

Again, this is just in regard to the native stuff. I'm aware that both the native thunderbolt card and the thunderbridge have no dsp but just run the i/o etc.

Thanks!!
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

i'm in this same boat, minus the rosetta consideration! i think it's possible to run symphony and pthd software, but without the pthd native card you gain a couple ms of latency. i can't seem to figure out if this is a deal killer though.
Old 3rd December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4peace4all View Post
I posted this in a couple different threads with no response. Basically, I'm deciding between PT HDN TB with avid i/o, or symphony i/o and thunderbolt. I'm staying with PT which many will probably say makes my decision for me. If the omni had more than 4x6 then it would be a no brainer, but 4 channels in is very limiting and makes it very expensive to add more either with 8x8x8 or the 16x16. I can't even take advantage of my rosetta 800 since technically it would just add i believe two more channels digitally going in. If it allowed me to access all 8 channels in/out from the rosetta then I'd jump for it, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I also don't have a console so wouldn't have a monitoring section with the other avid i/o options.

So, could I run PT HD software with the symphony and thunderbolt as if it were the PTN card? I understand avid with avid is bulletproof and the best option for stability, but if I can run the symphony/thunderbolt with the PTHD software and get the same (relatively) performance, I would save money and also have more options for expanding in the future for less $$. I'm not asking for ad/da quality differences, I'd be happy with either one. Please no avid vs apogee arguments - there's already millions of those threads. This is solely an inquiry for those in the know to possible save me money and get me what I need.

Again, this is just in regard to the native stuff. I'm aware that both the native thunderbolt card and the thunderbridge have no dsp but just run the i/o etc.

Thanks!!
Get the Apogee hardware,
It will very work well, and will have very low latency and good performance on your Mac. That is the point of it. It has a very low DSP draw on the system and being symphony can only be populated to 32 I/O anyway, I'd say unless you want more I/O's later, than the Apogee rig is #1 with regard to price, modularity, connectivity, all of it. This rig would fly with a PT10 setup.

Of course you'd have to purchase CPTK to get the features of PTHD.
The Features are;
VCA mixing
192 Tracks
Surround Panning
Disk Cache
Selectable Input monitoring

Woohoo

All the features are nice...I am using them in my studio with USB audio Mode on my 8x8x8 Symphony, with a Rosetta 200 patched over the SPDIF port. I am flying.

The only reason to buy into the Avid Core Card system over the Apogee hardware would be achieve 64 I/O, and a Single Stereo "Low Latency Mixer" controlled by Pro tools, and use a Supported Avid System, which is important for commercial business reasons.

peace
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Head

Cool, thanks for the input. I saw in your reply to my other post that the symphony and thunderbridge should run PTHD software as if it were the avid HDN thunderbolt (of course limited to 32i/o)... So wouldn't that be the best option then I I really wanted to run HD software? Or should I stay on PT10 (which I already have) and if I need to, then buy the CPTK?

I'm trepidatious to rely on a USB connection for io. I'm getting a new Mac mini to replace my G5 so if using the thunderbridge will help relieve some CPU load it would make me feel more comfortable.
Old 3rd December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4peace4all View Post
Cool, thanks for the input. I saw in your reply to my other post that the symphony and thunderbridge should run PTHD software as if it were the avid HDN thunderbolt (of course limited to 32i/o)... So wouldn't that be the best option then I I really wanted to run HD software? Or should I stay on PT10 (which I already have) and if I need to, then buy the CPTK?

I'm trepidatious to rely on a USB connection for io. I'm getting a new Mac mini to replace my G5 so if using the thunderbridge will help relieve some CPU load it would make me feel more comfortable.
Apogee Symphony I/O populated to 32 I/O
Apogee Tbolt Chassis
PT10

is gonna be slamming,

Add CPTK if you need the HD Features

You would of course, get PTHD software when you purchase the Avid System.

But you already have PT10.

I hardly sweat the HD features on my system. For the money?? PFFTT, I would upgrade the I/O before buying that!!! No question, no way.

--

When you get the Symphony I/O, try out the USB mode, you will be surprised by its performance. No doubt the Tbolt Box or PCie card would be a better choice in many ways. I'm just saying it has been great in my studio.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search