The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CL1B for voiceover? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th November 2012
Here for the gear

CL1B for voiceover?

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Anyone think the Tubetech CL1B would be a good compressor for spoken word?

We record both male and female voiceovers here. Got the chance to buy a CL1B at a bargain price, but I'm worried that it might be a bit too stodgy or lumpy for v/o.

Be grateful for your opinion.
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Hi there,

haven`t heard a CL1B in a while, but I remember it to be great on vocals and voices in general.
Doing a lot of VO work here, my personal favourite is the Atomic Squeeze Box btw ...
Old 30th November 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipgod View Post
Hi there,

haven`t heard a CL1B in a while, but I remember it to be great on vocals and voices in general.
Doing a lot of VO work here, my personal favourite is the Atomic Squeeze Box btw ...
That's interesting. I've heard good things about the ASB. I don't suppose you have any clips you could share do you?
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

The CL1B is an industry standard opto compressor, great for any kind of vocal, spoken word or general tracking of just about anything. It's not in any way stodgy or lumpy. You can say the same thing about the LA-2A, LA-3A, Anthony DeMaria CL-1000/1500, and the Manley ELOP. It would be hard to go wrong with any of these classic opto compressors and you can't ever have too many. Opto compressors are my favorites because they are generally very natural sounding and fairly transparent. The Manley ELOP might be a little faster than the others due to it's LED opto system (the others have a more traditional light bulb system) but again, ANY of these compressors will work great for voice over.
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Addict

used my cl2a on a VO last week. Sounds awesome. My favorite vocal compressor. I put some mullards in it though. Lumpy is about as far away as I could describe its sound. More like euphoric with high end and smooth.
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Anyone think the Tubetech CL1B would be a good compressor for spoken word?
No problem. But you might wanna add a (software) limiter.
Old 1st December 2012
the CL1b is an excellent compressor for VO.
Old 2nd December 2012
I don't find it fast enough for overly dynamic speakers. And in those applications would prefer to use an 1176.
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

CL1B on everything, man!!!

Well, not really but It's great on pretty much any vocal if you ask me.
Old 2nd December 2012
Just used one the other week while producing a VO session. Chain was Neuman 269 into Mono Gama (discrete, I think) lightly into a CL1B at 2 or 3:1 ratio.

Compressor sounded great and very balanced.

I do also love my 2-1176, and I'd suspect it would also do a nice job for VO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search