The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
drum mics - i searched...now it´s really time to ask ;-)
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Nut

drum mics - i searched...now it´s really time to ask ;-)

hello there,

i know that my recording gear is probably not what you would consider high end still i hope you get some useful answers, as i do not wanna fu** up here.
at the moment i have a rme babyface(2 pres) and a focusrite isa one digital(1 pre) connected via adat.

i will mostly record electric guitars, e-bass, drums, percussions, and vocals.

i need some advice on mics that will me serve me well for specifically these applications: OH´s and Vocals ( i know it depends, but a safe bet in terms of allrounder mics would be appreciated)

here´s some thoughts i have:

- coles 4038 w/ isa one ... as mono overhead and for vocals
(in that case i think i´d get a 421 for kick and maybe a 57 for snare)

- 2 shure ksm 32´s via babyface ....as overheads and for other stuff

- 1x beyer m160 via isa one...as mono overhead(and electric guitar)

...if i did either 1x 4038 or 1x m160 i´d like to have 2 large diaphragm condensers for either FOK or stereo room, these condensers should then also work for vocals, and ideally for other applications.

- 2x gefell m300´s ...as overheads(should be fine for acoustic guitar also, amongst others)

thing is, i believe i´d really like get a coles 4038 but if they are really that sensitive in terms of breaking easily(ribbons blown etc.) i might reconsider and well, condenser would be fine also.

the sound i am after is as you know by now old school...1-3 mics on drums(mitchell, beatles, that kinda stuff)...i know it´s all about the musicians, their instruments and the music,... i am excited to work with what i got and believe it or not i see solutions with this setup rather than obstacles.

okay, thanks and any advices are highly appreciated....my budget for mics: 1600 euros that is...gimme a second, here we go:

1.600,00 EUR = 2.067,52 USD

thanks in advance
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Maniac

The Earthworks studio kit (2 omni's for OH's & a cardioid for kick, with 'kickpad').

I use these every week at the university radio station i work at. 9 times out of 10; no eq, no close mic's. these are a fantastic kit, and perfect for the 3 mic setup you mentioned that you like.

Good luck!
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Guru

This may be of some use to you. I was really surprised at how my preconceived notions got blown out of the water several times.

Drum Mic Madness!!!!

The 4038 is a fantastic mic - no doubts. But another similar option is the Joly modded 205 and possibly the AEA R84. You can check out the 205 here, although it's on piano, not drums, but it should give you an idea of the mics. BTW, the modded 205 is my fav room mic for drums - and quickly becoming my favorite ac gtr mic as well....

Ribbon Madness....Some Comparisons

Leave any thoughts you might have on those threads. Good luck with your search.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Nut

very kind, thanks a lot for the new ideas, appreciate it and will check it all out!
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear
the 4038's are amazing, but you need a lot of gain, or a cloud lifter type device. My advice is to get as few mics as possible, but the best you can get. Also Joly Okatavas are amazing, particularly the mk319 for kick.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Nut

as few as possible is exactly what i wanna do.
the isa one i have goes up to 80db and i guess it´s enough(by the way, are there any pres that deliver more db?, uln 8 also stops at 80 db and i think the 1073dpd goes up to 60, might be wrong with that)

aea r84 definitely is a good advice, i´m somehow still attracted towards the idea of getting 1 coles 4038(to use with the isa, for now).
if i go that route i have 800 euros left for a (large diaphragm) condenser...any ideas?
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
Also Joly Okatavas are amazing, particularly the mk319 for kick.
+1. The new K47H capsule head for the 012 Octava's is off the hook. A set of the preamp bodies, OMNI, CARD, and K47H capsules would cover almost anything. Add a pair of his modded 205's and you're good to take on pretty much anything IMO.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Nut

how much would a joly octava stereo pair cost and are the available for purchase in europe to avoid tax fees?
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobelix View Post
(...)
if i go that route i have 800 euros left for a (large diaphragm) condenser...any ideas?
Thomann has the AKG C414 XLS for 888 €.
There are whole Jihad threads about whether it's still as good as the "old ones" or not.
But it's really a very good & versatile mic.
Possibly the ultimate workhorse mic.
Old 28th November 2012
mml
Gear Addict

Pair of akg 414b-uls for overheads, acoustic and vocals. 421 for kick and all around. 57 for snare and guitar. Pair of fatheads for room, guitar, overheads, horns and acoustic guitar. That should cover a ton of ground and come in right under budget.
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

4038 on OH, km84 on snare, d20 on kick - done. for me at least. you cant go wrong with the coles. they are amzing (unless you are looking for a bright pop sound). and they are not that fragile at all. i have used ones that were decades old and still worked as they should. just dont close their case to quickly :-)
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Maniac

you won't be disappointed if you add an MD441 and an RE20 to your shortlist
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search