The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brent Averill Power supply went bad Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Brent Averill Power supply went bad

The units 12 years old. My options are buy a new one which has been recommended by BAE due to their new design. However I'll have to wire up the connector when I buy it since I have an older lunch box. I'm kinda getting down on my vintage 312' cards. The 1/4 inch di's get dirty pots regularly and I find other pres smoke them more than I'd like to admit. Thinking about booting the entire thing and getting more dakings and pacifica pres. Anyone.
Tim
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Addict

I think youre nuts...

I have BAE racked vintage 312s and love them. I don't have any issues with the DI being noisey and if it was? Thats an easy fix...

After using many pres daily-

Millennia hv3c
UA 610, 8110
chandler ltd1
API 512
GML 8302
Avalon 737

and more...

I have only 3 pairs that I bought/kept for my overdub room-

Neve 31102 (1084)
Helios type 69
API 312

I think vintage 312s are one of the few affordable vintage pres that just kill...

BUT-

If YOU don't like them or use them much- sell them as fast as you can. Why have stuff you dont like and who really cares what I think! Im not cutting your tracks.

But I had to chime in because specifically BAE racked vintage 312s are some of my all time favorites...
Old 28th November 2012
More cowbell!

I had this same problem with my old power supply. There is a whole thread about it. To be honest though, I would just do the $250 fix and be done with it, and keep your 500 series thing going. It keeps an option open for you that you will not easily get back to again. If the 312 is bugging you, sell it and get a new flavor--so many great ones now.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Guru

I agree the 312 are great, besides you will want to buy a new PSU if you are gonna sell unless you just sell the box.
Both are great though like the Pacifica etc. To be honest I am using (2) 525 vintage compressors, that is all the 500 I have left, between my console, 1073, 1272s, Hardy and Studer that is all I need, I ended up with more 19 in gear somehow.

If you ditch the 312s you are gonna wanna spend 2k for a 3124 to have the same vibe, another 1500 for a Pacifica, should I cont ?

It's cheaper to get a new PSU.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Get the new psu keep the 312s, as everybody else has pretty much said you will spend more at some point chasing the same sound!
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Addict

you can buy power supplies for around $100
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Had a friend open the supply. It was a broken fuse holder. Wow. Glad I didn't buy a new one for 250. BAE didn't even suggest I open it and check out a few things. Is Avedis us still there?
Tim
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Nut

Hi Tim

I'm not there, because the business is now called BAE, not Brent Averill, done to draw a line from where the business changed hands and made some changes to the line to step forward from the refurbishing and racking business of old gear it use to be. But I am here at Gearslutz at the moment

One thing that got improved are the power supplies..

Just to share something about the old ones, whether black or blue colored.. If one has gone bad, in a lot of cases it's a fuse holder that has come apart, or the DC/DC converter which makes the phantom power work has burned out. The fuse can just be simply replaced and easy to find in car stereo parts stores, but the DC/DC black box is no longer being made. If it's gone bad, just clip the leads to it and see if the rest of the supply turns on. If this fixes it, just use it without phantom power but keep in mind that some 500 series modules use phantom for turning on a relay somewhere. Of course, unplug the unit if you're opening it up or take it to someone who knows what to do.

The new power supplies can be identified with a handle on top, an On/Off switch, an external fuse, and international voltage selection. Also it's lighter, and a little bit smaller and puts out as much, if not, more current. I designed it years ago when the business became BAE and so far it's been very reliable with more than 3000 of them out there. I don't think any of the new ones have gone bad. For safety, the output 4 or 5 pin XLR plugs have had the gender reversed - so to use them with an older rack, you'd need the gender changed on your power cable coming out of the unit. I believe they are supplied when you get the new PS.
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Addict

Mr. Avedis! nice to see you around here
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Maniac

Glad it was that simple, and I have the same rack and the 312's. I love those pres! Great match with Neve-ish preamps, I have a pair of Brent's old racked 1099's. Those two and maybe something clean and you are good to go. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Had a friend open the supply. It was a broken fuse holder. Wow. Glad I didn't buy a new one for 250. BAE didn't even suggest I open it and check out a few things. Is Avedis us still there?
Tim
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Avedis is such a wealth of information. One of the best tech support guys I ever run across in the biz. Thanks for your input. I was checking out his site and the M5 pre's got me really interested.
Tim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search