The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Money is no object… Studio Monitors
Old 25th November 2012
Here for the gear

Money is no object…

Well, sorta.

I've been looking for a long time to take a step up, monitor-wise, from my Mackie HR824s. Because I live in the middle of nowhere, I can't just skip down to the local Vintage King and hang out in the listening room, so I've been haunting various forums trying to narrow things down. My short list included:

• Neumann O300D
• Adam S3X
• PSI A-21

The next step would obviously be to go have a listen somewhere, but a monkey has recently thrown a wrench into my works. It turns out that in the new house I'll be moving to, my mixing/monitoring station can be no wider than four feet. The room itself is plenty big enough (16X30-ish) but there are other space restrictions I can't get around.

The bottom line is that now I'm looking for top-quality monitors with a smaller footprint, and I'm prepared to pay $2-3k per if that's what it takes (it may not). I know, I know… There are lots of good products out there and monitoring is always basically a matter of taste. I'm just hoping some kind soul with some experience in this area will help get me started…
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chiasson View Post
Well, sorta.

I've been looking for a long time to take a step up, monitor-wise, from my Mackie HR824s. Because I live in the middle of nowhere, I can't just skip down to the local Vintage King and hang out in the listening room, so I've been haunting various forums trying to narrow things down. My short list included:

• Neumann O300D
• Adam S3X
• PSI A-21

The next step would obviously be to go have a listen somewhere, but a monkey has recently thrown a wrench into my works. It turns out that in the new house I'll be moving to, my mixing/monitoring station can be no wider than four feet. The room itself is plenty big enough (16X30-ish) but there are other space restrictions I can't get around.

The bottom line is that now I'm looking for top-quality monitors with a smaller footprint, and I'm prepared to pay $2-3k per if that's what it takes (it may not). I know, I know… There are lots of good products out there and monitoring is always basically a matter of taste. I'm just hoping some kind soul with some experience in this area will help get me started…
Don't kid yourself. Money is always an object. Otherwise you might have booked yourself a flight to AES or down to Vintage King to check them yourself. 2-3k for monitors is not exactly no holds barred.
I've heard the Adams, they're good. One of my favorite mid field monitors in that price range was the Genelec 1031's. Not exactly the newest technology and not at all in favor with a lot of people these days, but I could work on those all day and not get fatigued and the mixes always sounded accurate when played on other systems. They should fit nicely in to your available space. You'd need to find a pair on ebay or something because they're no longer made. I have a pair of Genelec 8050's now and I miss my 1031's. They would go for about $1600-$2000 used.

2 cents.
Old 26th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks, voodoo. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Your 2¢ is exactly what I'm looking for! Of course I was kidding about the "money is no object" part. What I meant to convey was simply that I'm looking for serious monitors. — Steve
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Head

your monitors and your ears need to get married IMO...of coz you have to know your room as well...i really like adams but they kinda like putting too much cream on my mixes[everybody hear different] so i just stay with my bx5a [not a high end]...after trying out JBLs, yamaha hs ,mackies ,different subs and i end up getting hs10w and i am all set...
just sharing my exp ...you really need to hear them before you drop $$ ...

cheers
MIL
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Two questions:
Are you unhappy with your current mixes?
Are you losing business because of your current monitors?

The Mackie HR824 has solid bass and is a good all-around monitor for the price, I don't mind them, but they lack a little midrange in my opinion. But, it is nothing you can't work with and make a professional, major label mix with if you are used to them. I mixed 72 track live mixes on them for 3-4 years in a pro facility and worked on a few major live albums and they never got in the way. We did have the powered sub with them, which was a mixed bag because it added some good bass but the room didn't work all that well with it.

My personal monitors are the Dynaudio BM6A (mk I from 2001), they were $2700 back then. I don't know a lot about the BM6A mkII, but I know the price is now half, the amp has changed, and they sell them at Guitar Center now. I've made lots of recordings/money using these monitors. I really have no intention of replacing my monitors after 12 years of continuous, daily use. At this point I know what good music sounds like on them. A nearby place has the larger Dynaudio monitors and I was like "Woah, it sounds like my speakers just...bigger and bassier and louder!" but I haven't seen a need to change anything about my setup.

Your Mackie HR824 monitors are not all that bad, I can assure you that. If you are doing music in a small space at home I would give a good thought at spending the money elsewhere and continuing to enjoy the monitors you have.

I hope this helps!

Tim
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

The nice thing about the HR824's are that they have enough bass not to need a subwoofer. If you get something smaller, than needs a subwoofer, its going to make your life a lot more complicated unless you really know what you are doing and are used to working with subwoofers while mixing. If you want to go upmarket and spend more, check out Genelec.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Guru

The ME-Gethain RL906 are within your budget and have just been very well reviewed in the November issue of Sound On Sound HERE.

(If you can't see the review, because SOS lock them out for a few months to non-subscribers, send me a PM with an e-mail and I'll send you the pdf scanned from my printed copy).

Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Get a set of Lipinskis. IMHO, the best. ...
Andrew and Lucas have designed a nice speaker and they were on my list, but they've had some QC problems, which leads to why they show up used for as cheap as $2600 a pair (in cherry!). I didn't want to have to deal with the possible hassle, so I went a different direction. The truth is that there are many fine speakers out there across all price points above about $1500, it all becomes a matter of personal preference. I'd love to have dropped about $17,000 on a lovely pair of Geithains, but my budget wouldn't support that expenditure... I've retired, and this falls basically in 'hobby' status now after 40 years or so. Dunlavys, which I used for years, are a great choice as are Duntechs, Barefoots, PMCs, Focals, B&W, Questeds, Westlakes, etc etc etc. I ended up with ATCs, and I like them a lot. But even within that price point there are several quite viable options.
Old 27th November 2012
NJS
Gear Nut

Second the Dynaudio monitors. I always enjoyed the BM15As at the studio, and they don't need to be too far apart but 4 feet is pretty narrow...the ones in the studio are about 5 or 6 i think...
Old 27th November 2012
Here for the gear

The 824s have been OK, but I struggle to get my mixes to translate. I know I need to reference them on different speakers and in different environments (which I do), but my hope was to find something that will just get me closer to where I want to be without quite so much angst.

The other issue really is space. In my new home, they'd have about 24" between them, with just barely enough room for my computer monitor in between. Bottom line: I'm looking for smaller speakers that translate better. I could do a subwoofer if need be.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, sorta.

• Neumann O300D
• Adam S3X
• PSI A-21

clearly money is a huge "object" for you. [deleted by mod]

i own and love my proac studio 100s monitors powered by my Emotiva XP2A. the entire rig can be purchased for well under $3k.

Last edited by [email protected]; 2nd December 2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: pointless
Old 27th November 2012
If space is a problem I would look at the Pelonis Model 42 and a sub. I used to have the Mackies and replaced them with TC/Dynaudio Air 15s. Both sets were usable, but once I got the Pelonis system I didn't have to work as hard to get mixes that translated. If you have the space and money my suggestion would be to get the Model 42 system with a pair of subwoofers. I have compared the 42s with Adams, Genelecs, Tannoys, Yamahas and others and I prefer the Pelonis.
See if you can get a pair to audition. They might be a good solution for you.

Steve McDonald
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

I can't recommend the Adam S3X-H's enough. Plenty of bass, great translation, and it is very easy to hear what a mix needs on them. I only wish I would have gotten them sooner and they are the last thing in my studio I could live without (and I've got some pretty killer stuff, lol).
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I know I need to reference them on different speakers and in different environments...

The other issue really is space. ....
I don't think that you do. i think that you need to put up a nice set of monitors which you can trust, which are the best you can field, and trust that if the music sounds good there, it will sound as good as it can on anything else.

And in terms of space, plenty of monitors will fit in a small footprint.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

You might want to add Quested "S" Series to the list of possibilities.
Old 27th November 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
clearly money is a huge "object" for you. what a foolish thread title.
Seems my attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor didn't come across as clearly as I'd hoped it would. I guess it's the sort of forum faux pas one might expect from a first-time poster, I guess. I'll get the hang of it, Axelrod. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

I managed to get a pair of ATC SCM 20 SLs + Hypex UCD400HG amp all EASILY within your budget, although if you're coming from HR824s with their artificially extended/boosted bass, you'll find the ATCs to be bass-light on first listen...
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear
The thing I enjoy the most about 0300's is that when I sit with someone at a label or in a meeting and stick on a mix, whatever the playback system my mixes come back sounding exactly as I expect.
No panic or "oops" moments.

The strength of 0300's is,

If it sounds like it sounds that hows how it sounds.

Great tool to have IMHO.
Old 2nd December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The thing I enjoy the most about 0300's is that when I sit with someone at a label or in a meeting and stick on a mix, whatever the playback system my mixes come back sounding exactly as I expect.
No panic or "oops" moments.

The strength of 0300's is,

If it sounds like it sounds that hows how it sounds.

Great tool to have IMHO.
The O300's were the ones that were floating to the top of my list based on many comments of this sort — mixes translate well. But now I'm scaling back on the size, and wondering if the Neumann/K&H 120s would be as dependable in this regard. Most of the stuff I mix is acoustic and fairly bass-light.
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
The O300's were the ones that were floating to the top of my list based on many comments of this sort — mixes translate well. But now I'm scaling back on the size, and wondering if the Neumann/K&H 120s would be as dependable in this regard. Most of the stuff I mix is acoustic and fairly bass-light.
Then I would add the Geithain RL906 to your list. See the review in the November issue of Sound On Sound.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search