The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mobile high-end vocal chain Channel Strips
Old 22nd November 2012
Here for the gear

Mobile high-end vocal chain

Hi, I will be touring next year and am building a mobile vocal chain. I'm trying to re-create the one I have in my studio:

Brauner Phantom AE -> LTD-1 -> Trakker -> Rosetta 800.

I need something more light-weight and compact that fits in a carry-on and works on 120V/220V. I can bring the Phantom and got a Hilo for starters, but am wondering about the pre/EQ and comp. Ideal would be half-rack space combo units that let me record vocals that could blend in with the ones recorded in the studio, maybe something like a Portico 5032 -> Portico 5043, or a Portico 517 lunchbox, or just a 5015 "channel strip" without EQ...

I know it's tough, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 22nd November 2012
Pretty sure the Half rack Portico Units have 120/240V self detecting line lumps,

Maybe Jon from RND can confirm this, [he hangs around the boards to help and is a wealth of knowledge] but that would certainly make your life easier if you needed to change the voltage back and forth.

Some gear has the switch on the back, and you can check the fuse, but much of this stuff, needs the lid popped, which certainly would feed frustrado in my world.

Anyway I think the Portico stuff sounds awesome and is extremely rugged build quality wise. It should be exceptional for both this application and your studio applications.
Old 22nd November 2012
Here for the gear

Cool, thanks!

I wonder how that Portico chain compares to the LTD-1 -> Trakker, as my main concern is being compatible with the recorded vocals and previous recording.
Old 28th November 2012
Here for the gear

Has anyone compared the Portico 5015 with the Chandler LTD-1 and the Cranseong Trakker? I'd be interested to hear how they stack up next to each other.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Of course you'll have a different result but I'd consider the Aurora GTQC..
Or a BAE 1023 + BAE 10DC (or a Trakker), but this will set you on a 2 RU (plus the converter).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 28th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks, but that would be just as portable as the LTD-1 and the Trakker that I already have.

I was hoping for something more compact (ideally max. two devices of one half rack unit each, e.g., Portico) that's lightweight enough for a carry-on. The mobile recordings should be somewhat similar to the recordings from the LTD-1 and Trakker, so I can combine studio recordings and mobile recordings... but maybe that's just a beautiful dream...
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

I would stay away from a lunchbox as they really aren't that easy to fly with and are quite heavy. My mobile rig consists of a metric halo ULN8 loaded into a Gator 2U backpack which also holds my macbook pro, and a second smaller carry on full of microphones, i.e. Gefell UM92.1, and a pair of Neumann TLM102's. If I were really cramped for space, I would leave the Gefell as it is kind of a pain lugging the mount, PSU, cabling, etc...FETs are way more portable in that regard.

With this setup, I can add my metric halo LIO8 or 1RU of outboard, but it is heavy enough as is and I don't feel limited in any way. I may add an Aurora GTQ2 or GTQC just to maintain consistency with my Aurora Sidecar back in the studio.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Alright..It's not super light but IMO very portable.. You might check out the BAE DLB (2 slot lunchbox, non 19") an Avedis MA5 and the new Crane Song Falcon compressor.. You "loose" the EQ part of it (even if you have the 28k button on the MA5), but it's very portable..and as hiend as it gets (you'll also have a crane song compressor).

This will be pretty cool.. You could even go with another 500 series preamp, that might have an EQ "onboard", none are at the quality level of the MA5, but you might like it for your sense of aesthethic/goals.. chandler also have some preamps in the series. The ones that came to mind with an eq onboard are the cartec, the lindell, the maag, but I'd get an MA5 over these anyway (but I guess it's a matter of taste).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 28th November 2012
Here for the gear

@chris: Thanks, this sounds pretty good. However, I already have a HiLo (working on Win7).

@cheu78: Cool, this sounds great. Will definitely check the MA5 and Falcon.

So I read between the lines that the Portico devices do not really compare?
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

You could also check out the Radial cube 3 slot lunchbox and put together a channel strip that way...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search